Julie's Chupacabra

Beccah

AD-PE-JulieChupacabra.jpg

This is Julie's Savannah cat, Chupi! :lol: I'm dyin' here. What a cutie! Julie came into the shop for a bottle of Black Star Lavender, and loved it, but when she found out she could design her own scent and have Chupi on the label, well! Julie's blend features a body of black licorice, with soft and fuzzy vanilla musk and tomboy-ish tonka, adorned with tiny spots of precious labdanum and oud.

• 3 weeks later...

I love licorice scents so this one is very yummy to me. Blending it with the vanilla musk is a particularly great idea, it provides a really soft base and the tonka makes for a nice sort of contrasting accent. It actually reminds me a bit of Celrynnya's Big Fat Tabby Cat in spirit/vibe if not in actual scent.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I tried this this afternoon. I really thought it had honey or AJA in it because that was all I could smell. Now I don't know what it was. Maybe tonka? It was kind of powdery.

I was surprised that I liked this one in the vial because I hate, hate, HATE black licorice with all the fire of a thousand burning suns.

It's not very strong on my skin, and it didn't last very well. It's pleasant but I don't feel the need to find myself a full bottle. I am happy with my little sample. I'm trying to smell it on my skin now but I think it's all gone, and it's only been a few hours.

• 6 months later...

This is so lovely! I am so glad I took a chance on a bottle of this one unsniffed. None of the notes are singularly overpowering, and the vanilla, tonka/oud, and licorice all come together in a soft, warm, delicious blend that just makes me want to curl up under some comfy covers and roll around enjoying it for a while. :D

I will say I detect the licorice more than the other notes, but it's not sweet or candy like. The way the vanilla and tonka come together almost makes me think of some kind of lightly sweetened puff pastry. It's funny, and a little bit strange, but even though they're nothing alike for some reason it puts me in mind of the guava pastries I used to get at Porto's Bakery back in California. 

Overall, I think this is a delight and I'm really glad to have it in my LP collection. I only hope there will be a rebrew at some point, because given how much I like it and how much the mister did, I'm going to be wearing this one a lot!