Myrrh Merlot

Beccah

AD-MyrrhMerlot.jpg

Myrrh Merlot

"Witches know of the poison apple, but what of the "poison" grape? This element lends a voluptuously sensual mood to our purple musk scent - dark syrupy grapes and smooth sexy myrrh sheathed in velvety soft musk."

• 4 weeks later...

I got a trial vial. I've only worn it a couple of times, and mostly get a sweet grape accord in the beginning. The myrrh is not prominent, and stays in the background (at least on my skin.)

The crooks of my elbows and pulse points will retain a lingering "fancy hotel soap" kind of faint fragrance after several hours, and the grape completely vanishes. It is not something I would normally wear, but I have got been tempted to scrub it off either. It is pleasant, for lack of a better word.

I'm afraid I won't be the one to guess the meaning behind it's name. I'd thought it might be reminiscent of Dior Poison,(due to Dior's purple bottle and the name, of course) but, I'm not that familiar with how this department store fragrance actually smells. I'm sure I've sniffed it at one point over the years, but for the life of me, cannot remember what it smells like!

I'm afraid I won't be the one to guess the meaning behind it's name. I'd thought it might be reminiscent of Dior Poison,(due to Dior's purple bottle and the name, of course) but, I'm not that familiar with how this department store fragrance actually smells. I'm sure I've sniffed it at one point over the years, but for the life of me, cannot remember what it smells like!

I'm afraid you WILL! DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER! Woooo!

:lol:

Yes, we were referring to the "grape" note in Dior's Poison.

Poison was a scent I enjoyed wearing in the 80's, and I once got into an argument with a Dior rep about it, because back then they were keeping the notes a secret. I had said, not so much of a secret when it smells like grape and you put it into a purple bottle that looks like a grape. Well, when they finally did start talking about the notes, they said tuberose and plum gave it that character, and weirdly, the mixture of tuberose and plum really does smell like grape, and if you read into the components of a grape smell, you can detect the aura of tuberose. There's some common factor in each.

So anyway, I purchased this grape oil a while ago, and found it instantly reminiscent of Dior's Poison...whatever it is, it's the same note. Both grapey and tuberosey. I tried to take that note into a different direction than Poison, with velvety powdery musks and myrrh, but anyone who ever wore Poison I believe will still recognize that note immediately.

Congrats on the excellent guess! :D Boosted you 100 posts.

Thank you Mara (I'm so surprised got it!) I kind of remembered the Dior Poison having more of an oriental vibe, but it has been so long since I sniffed it. That is very interesting about tuberose + plum making "grape".

For anyone considering getting this it really is an easygoing scent. I love the powdery musk in the dry down.

I loved Poison! It was one of the last perfumes I ever wore before I discovered EO's. I think the actual only two commercial perfumes I've bought in 15 years were Addict and Pheromone. I'll add that to my next order with the weenies.

I ordered a sample of this after reading everything here. I am still intrigued but I cannot remember what Dior's Poison smells like. I know the bottle though and I know it was one I think I used to gravitate towards at perfume counters when I was young. The more I think about this, the more I am thinking I maybe should have just gone FB.

• 2 weeks later...

This is GORGEOUS! OMG! Why didn't I listen to my instincts and just get a FB? I should know better by now.

Anyway, it's exactly like it's described. It's a very smooth and velvety grape perfume that wears close to the skin. It actually reminds me of the villain, Sour Grapes, from Strawberry Shortcake. I'm talking the original from the 80's. I had the doll and I loved her so much! She smelled so yummy, like this subtle and soft grape smell which is why I think this reminds me of her. FYI: there was no actual sour grape smell to the doll nor to this perfume. LOL! I'm getting away from this review... Anyway, this perfume is not overly sweet either. It's very much like a sheer purple flowy material so of feel. It's just so sexy! Grape is sexy? Yes. Yes, it is sexy AF!

I tried my sample today. However, I wore it over the Leather pheromone, so it may not be an accurate try.

I got a soapy myrrh in a bath product kind of way. I didn't really get a pronounced "grape" scent -- more like a dusky, edible floral. It wasn't a total win for me. I'm not sure what I don't like. I have problems with plum notes no matter how much I like them in the bottle. Plum tends to stick around me never quite moving into the background, meaning I am always aware of it and not sure my chemistry reacts well. And I know some people have problems with tuberose (not sure I do). I also got a "shampoo"-like impression, not any particular shampoo just shampoo in general. So, I am sure this makes a fabulous bath/shower scent!

I will give it another shot because I was totally intrigued and excited about a "purple musk scent".

My sister had those scented Strawberry Shortcake dolls in the 80's, but I don't recall a Sour Grapes doll! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wearing this every day ever since I got my sample. I now have a FB as well and good thing I do because this is so wonderful. My favorite part of this is how airy and gauzy it is on me, like a purple veil of loveliness. I smell it before I put it on. This for me is sign of a long lasting love affair with a perfume. I might need a backup FB...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Now that I have procured a trial vial of this...it is uncanny how much it reminds me of Poison! My ex MIL loved Poison and so the only time I ever "wore" it was when we'd visit and I'd go in her bathroom and spritz on a bit. It's almost just on the edge of being a bit too syrup-y but I think that's part of the charm of that idea. I think the grape oil does have tuberose in it because it is so intense. The musk is probably contributing to that characteristic and yet just in the sense of the weight. I don't perceive the musk as anything I would characterize as such. The myrrh is a layer underneath the grape for me and it's so lovely. I love myrrh primarily for that smooth intriguing sweetness it can bring to a blending.

In one of those perfume compendium communities I saw someone refer to Poison as "The Glorious Purple Queen" and that is exactly how I would describe this!

• 1 month later...

Deep, mystic, smooth, sexual, powerful.  That is what I get from the scent when I am sniffing it out the bottle.  Dust to Ashes is still strongly fragrant even though I applied it this morning so I will wait until it has died down before trying this because I have the feeling this this is going to be a amazing on...  

I have this scent on now and it is living up to it's bottled hype :-).

The scent of grape is recognisable because you know it is there - but it is not overpowering.  Saying that, the scent is definitely present in a strong and exotic way.  I am imagining star studded desert skies - I think it must be the myrrh swirling through the grape.

If you want something unique with seductive attention grabbing powers ... this is the scent.  

• 10 months later...

When I first applied this, I thought it smelled like grape Smarties (the American kind of Smarties). As it dried down, that scent became a little more subtle and the myrrh came out more. 'Velvety' is the word that came to my mind, and then when I read the description, I saw that it was in there, too! There's still a hint of the candy, but I would agree with the others who have said that this perfume is sophisticated and kind of mysterious. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the texture of myrrh merlot. grapes are fresh and smoooth like newly opened juice! but it's not tart or bright/sharp :thumb_up11: 

interesting how musk + myrrh together can be unisex :) 

ETA I like middle-wear best, when grape shares the stage with the other two notes. upon application, grape is definitely fresh lol

Edited by Ivysaur