New Releases for DECEMBER 2017! ~ Happy ALL the Holidays! :)

AD-1942.jpg

This is my friend Rebekah! She is currently starring in a play called "1942 Christmas from Home". We have tickets for Dec 16th, so excited! She had asked me if I could make her a scent to help her get into character, so I researched the most popular blends of the time and learned that many had been "toughened up". While still primarily floral in design, they had been given a more masculine spine. It was the era of the “leather chypre'. A sense of the tack room, it was explained, to make women smell and feel capable and show some backbone in the face of all the shortages and loss of their men.

The clock shown is a representation of The Doomsday Clock. I was first educated about this when a friend wrote a song called "7 Minutes to Midnight" back in the 80's. Such a great song, my band recorded it for our second album - the only time we did an original song that was not written by the band. It symbolizes how close we are to a man-made global disaster. No laughing matter, but I joked about this clock a few years ago when I made the perfume 7 Minutes to Midnight...I made it about Cinderella racing against her own clock.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AD-YearOne.jpg

A sundial, of course, and a tribute to the Romans of the era and their icky recycling of Gladiator pheromones. :lol: I really don't need to expound much more here since Luna brilliantly squeezed all the info into the description, so read that! :D

AD-1400.jpg

I wanted a Plague Doctor outfit, and I wanted an hourglass...cuz yer time is running out, bub. I ended up finding this image with a plague doc and his poking stick with a winged hourglass on the end. Perfect.

Amazingly, when I researched the combo of ingredients traditionally used to fill the snouts, it's very Christmassy! Perfect for our collection! A delicious spicy rose scent.

As a certified Crazy Cat Lady, I am getting on my special Crazy Cat Lady luxuriously carpet-covered soap box right now.... The Plague was divine retribution for killing all the cats. Cats were originally stolen from Egypt, where they were prized and revered, and brought back to Europe. They went out of "fashion" when the church started spouting all that nonsense about them being associated with their devil, so first it was just cat tails that were "offensive" and their tails were lopped off. Then they decided that the entire animal was not to be tolerated and they murdered them all, not to mention people, especially women, who associated with them. Was it the Cat Goddesses, Freya and Bastet, or the Christian god himself who rained down hellfire for this horrible transgression? Either way, learn from the lesson. The Plague was spread by disease infected rats and it likely would not have happened had the cat population not been decimated. So, BE NICE TO CATS, OR ELSE! :purr:

AD-1969.jpg

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, age of Aquariussss....Aquar-eee-ussss, Aquari-uuuus! Ha! I love that song. Fifth Dimension rocked it. :) I'm an Aquarius, could you tell?

I could find no info about this gorgeous blue Astronomical Clock. It showed up on a google images search repeatedly from areas using alphabets not Latin. Maybe it's in Russia? It's very cool. And I liked that the date it is showing is now, when we are releasing this blend.

I've done this type of scent before, and have been getting several requests for it again. NOT stinky hippie, NICE smelling hippie! :lol: Somebody to Love and Age of Aquarius were variants of this theme, but I think fans of Rocket Fuel and Ebil-ish will especially enjoy this one, it's like a combo of the two types.

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, age of Aquariussss....Aquar-eee-ussss, Aquari-uuuus! Ha! I love that song. Fifth Dimension rocked it.

I also managed to get a second 5th Dimension reference in there too, lol, because I LOVE THEM. :peace-sign:

Thanks for the bonus points! ?

And thanks for the credit for helping with the ideas for Distant Planets but I really was more of the "that's a brilliant idea" person. LOL! It was such a fun convo about something we all clearly love. I'm so excited to try the end result. And I 100% agree about cactus fruit.

(I still cannot believe all the clues missed when I first looked at this. ?)

And I should mention I'm excited about all the rest as well. I love the time theme.

Edited by tink333

It's not just a Who theme, really. It's a TIME theme. What I was actually thinking is that we all become a little obsessed with time every time a new year rolls around. The outgoing year is traditionally portrayed as an old man or a reaper with a scythe. The new year portrayed as a baby. We think about fresh starts, and new plans, and putting things behind us. And this year, we're finally getting our voices heard in some respects, frikken finally!! I wanted to celebrate that, and I'm using our first female Who as the figurehead.

And I TOTALLY FORGOT to mention why I chose the year on Distant Planets. D'oh! I'm going to add it to my post, so go back and look. Can anyone guess? Or rather - who's the fastest to look it up on google and guess from there. :lol:

I was kidding about the stinky hippie thing. I believe the original stinky comments trace back to patchouli, and patchouli sure doesn't bother me! Some of my favorite people are stinky/not stinky hippies. I'm on the edge of Berkeley and spend a lot of time in Marin where the hippies live in gazillion dollar houses and do all kinds of kooky things, but they are absolutely positively NOT dirty.

I was born in 1969 and I imagine I will end up with this one and a few FB's of the others. They all look amazing, my only raised eyebrow was at the blue camomile. I have the tiniest bottle of German blue camomile EO for emergency medicinal purposes only. I am intrigued, but also concerned, it is not a scent I appreciate in any way. I can't wait to see how you made that work Mara! Very much looking forward to hearing all the reviews while taking a short break from obsessively tracking USPS shipping numbers! I just got a package from LPMP this am so I imagine I'll have plenty to do the next few days.

AD-1200BC.jpg

This ancient engraving is truly showing the making of Lily perfume! This scent that I created is constructed of ingredients from that era and location, prominently featuring lily, water lily, and lemongrass.

Remember that show, I think it was called, Life After People? They said that everything our civilization leaves behind will degrade. We've made nothing that will last, not even Mt Rushmore, although that will last the longest. In thousands of years, if another civilization visits our planet, what they will say is, "Those ancient Egyptians were very interesting people." I have often joked that when I leave my recipes behind, I'm going to record them on clay tablets or carved into stone. Then maybe in another 10,000 years, someone will find them and try to make them anew, just like I do now with pictograms and hieroglyophs as guides.

Beccah was right again! The timepiece shown here is indeed an ancient water clock. But I couldn't find an appropriate Egyptian one to fit into the above image, so I used a Persian water clock instead. The Egyptian ones actually looked like this one below, but they functioned similarly. Water clocks worked by allowing water in a measured way to enter or exit a vessel, and the water line showed the hour.

99004366_0.jpg?itok=cVmOOnbJ

I appreciate the "yer time is running out, bub." I was just thinking about watching 12 Monkeys one more time earlier this week. It's truly one of the best time travel movies ever made. I could watch it every year for the next 40 years and still get muddled.

Captain Kirk had to travel back 200 years to our timeline in 1986 in order to recover a humpback whale, which went extinct in the future, to stop an alien probe from destroying Earth in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home... Time Travel, Saving Whales, and more humor then trekkie makes it enjoyable to all....

12 Monkeys is definately a good sci fi time travel one, Back To The Future 1-3, and Terminator 1+2 might round that list out of top choices.

The original Planet Of The Apes 1968, Edge Of Tomorrow, Interstellar, Star Trek: First Contact, Arrival, Donnie Darko, Looper, The Time Machine, Bill + Ted's Excellent Adventure, and the nerdiest of all Godzilla vs King Ghidorah 1991 where people travel in a ufo back in time from the distant future to sabotage Japan who has become a global superpower by killing Godzilla before the bomb changed him and resurrecting and creating King Ghidorah... Some fun to watch while your enjoying your new themed time collection...

Otherwise pull out The Princess Bride or The Notebook lol.... As you wish....

planet_of_the_apes1.jpg?resize=980:*

I think the quote that circled my brain the most when I was making this collection was, "Time is the fire in which we burn."

We are indeed, consumed by time.

A few fabulous TT movies that haven't been mentioned yet, all of which reside on my shelf:

Timeline - which was a novel by Michael Crichton, but the screenplay is much better than the book. See the movie.

The 13th Floor

Army of Darkness

Dead Again

Winter's Tale - these two were technically reincarnation, but time travel in feel.

TV series:

Quantum Leap

Flash Forward - also a great book. Series lasted one season but it was a complete story and it was great.

Outer Limits (The New Series) - Time Travel Collection

My fave Time Travel books:

Time Out of Mind by John Maxim

The Time Ships - a sequel to HG Wells Time Machine, written by Stephan Baxter

ALL the early works of Lynn Kurland

AD-SomewhereInTime.jpg

Like the Tardis, this one zigs and zags through time and space in a somewhat nonsensical way, and couldn't be nailed down to just one year. I tried to give the label the air of a 1950's style postcard, using the Mayan Calendar as a stamp.

The scent is along the lines of the beloved beverage called Horchata....made with cream, nut and rice milks, and flavored with nutmeg, cinnamon, cocoa powder, hot pepper...so in the end, it has a similar vibe to Egg Nog when in perfume form, with a lightly spiced and cocoa powder edge. Yummy!

In this part of the world, Horchata is considered a Latin American drink, but the origin is Spain, but not Spanish. Horchata owes it's origin to the Muslim/Moorish civilization inside Spain circa roughly 1,000 - 1,200 A.D.

I think the quote that circled my brain the most when I was making this collection was, "Time is the fire in which we burn."

We are indeed, consumed by time.

A few fabulous TT movies that haven't been mentioned yet, all of which reside on my shelf:

Timeline - which was a novel by Michael Crichton, but the screenplay is much better than the book. See the movie.

The 13th Floor

Army of Darkness

Dead Again

Winter's Tale - these two were technically reincarnation, but time travel in feel.

TV series:

Quantum Leap

Flash Forward - also a great book. Series lasted one season but it was a complete story and it was great.

Outer Limits (The New Series) - Time Travel Collection

My fave Time Travel books:

Time Out of Mind by John Maxim

The Time Ships - a sequel to HG Wells Time Machine, written by Stephan Baxter

ALL the early works of Lynn Kurland

I actually loved the book version of Timeline too!

But, my first favorite, and perhaps my most favorite of all books from childhood is Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time - can't leave that one off the list! I was only about 8 when it was first published, but read it while it was still pretty new as I was an early reader. I still remember the cover of the copy I had from the library, it had these concentric circles around each of the children. The book that has resided on my shelves for many years does not have that one, but rather a centaur with the kids riding on its back and a rainbow in background.

AD-SomewhereInTime.jpg

Like the Tardis, this one zigs and zags through time and space in a somewhat nonsensical way, and couldn't be nailed down to just one year. I tried to give the label the air of a 1950's style postcard, using the Mayan Calendar as a stamp.

The scent is along the lines of the beloved beverage called Horchata....made with cream, nut and rice milks, and flavored with nutmeg, cinnamon, cocoa powder, hot pepper...so in the end, it has a similar vibe to Egg Nog when in perfume form, with a lightly spiced and cocoa powder edge. Yummy!

In this part of the world, Horchata is considered a Latin American drink, but the origin is Spain, but not Spanish. Horchata owes it's origin to the Muslim/Moorish civilization inside Spain circa roughly 1,000 - 1,200 A.D.

My bad! In my first comment, I thought it was the orient, the Mayan calendar just didn't register. In my defense I was hurriedly scrolling through the new releases via my phone. I think I'm going to have to order this! (already have one in for a couple of the others). THANK YOU for boosting me, Mara, but I certainly don't think I earned it, as I didn't get the correct geography with this one!

Edited because it seems I still can't spell!

Edited by Eve

Quantum Leap was one of my fave shows when it was on.....can still find it now and again in reruns. They all look great Mara!

Quantum Leap was well made, actually reminded me of another slightly older tv series from 1982 a bit called VOYAGERS! where they also went back in time to fix history problems. The whole series of 20 episodes are on a $17 dvd on amazon or netflix disc service. The kids will like it.

The Time Traveler's Wife is a good romantic/time travel book that two of my sister's enjoyed and also is a movie.

11/22/63 is a recent and good Time Travel book from Stephen King with elements of mystery, adventure, time travel, romance, humor etc based around the assassination of JFK

I tied NORTH POLE 2017 to the TIME theme in the men's section...

----

If I were Darth Vader from Star Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM

Edited by datadragon

My favorite time travel movies are Terminators 1 & 2. Disregard the other Terminators, they are fan fiction gone horribly awry & somehow financed by a major motion picture studio.

Actually, I think the last abomination in the Terminator series was a fever dream that Arnold Schwarzenegger had & casually mentioned to one of his writer friends.

Edited by Beccah

Oh wow Im just catching up here and Im gobsmacked at both the time and effort Mara put into this collection and at how incredibly smart all you ladies are for figuring it out! I know nothing about Dr Who other than that I like to send Mara Dr Who Fangirl gifts sometimes. Cant wait for my sampler now. And YUM Horchata! Though the similar but waaaaaaay yummier Puerto Rican version called Coquito is even better and way stronger. I cant wait until my in laws family Christmas party so I can have some!

I am loving the descriptions behind all these scents! It's so fascinating to know the thought processes that go into them.

And if we're talking time travel shows, I have to give a mention to Legends of Tomorrow on the CW. It is...not good, but it's finally hit it's stride to become cheesy fun and has lots of ladies who get to kick butt on a weekly basis.

And I am still mad about the ending of Quantum Leap.

I'm going to look into a lot of these movies I've never seen, including "Somewhere in Time."

Wrinkle in Time was my favorite book, too! I had a leather bound cover, with maybe 4 other books, including Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe, but can't remember any of the other titles. I did buy my son a W in Time hardcover graphic novel before he was reading chapter books because I couldn't wait. It's being made into a movie now, I saw a teaser for it when I took my daughter to see Coco.

I'm going to look into a lot of these movies I've never seen, including "Somewhere in Time."

Wrinkle in Time was my favorite book, too! I had a leather bound cover, with maybe 4 other books, including Lion, Witch & the Wardrobe, but can't remember any of the other titles. I did buy my son a W in Time hardcover graphic novel before he was reading chapter books because I couldn't wait. It's being made into a movie now, I saw a teaser for it when I took my daughter to see Coco.

Oh, you have to watch Somewhere in Time! I will love this movie for all time! I remember buying the theme song for it, back when the movie (AND! music cd's) were new. It is now in my iTunes library.

Edited because. as usual I either can't type or spell. This time it was both :)

Edited by Eve

AD-AshesToDust.jpg

Last one....

We've brewed this every few years over the past decade, always a little different, but with the same intent. People started asking for it again so it was time for a new one. We have always used some kind of cemetery statuary on the labels. In this case, with the nod to Dr Who, of course we had to use an angel. This guy's kinda sexy, isn't he? lol In Doctor Who it is ultimately revealed that the Weeping Angels live on time energy...on lost potential, really. This potion is a reminder not to live in the past. Put your woes behind you, put the past to rest, start fresh, look to the future, live in the now, and have a Happy New Year!