Time Travel: 1890

Beccah

il_fullxfull.1418066899_2dnj.jpg

Time Travel: 1890

A beautiful blending of violet and orris root with silky-soft musk, powdery myrrh and oakmoss topped by sweet touches of wildflower honey and powdered sugar.

While society saw a great deal of socio-political progression in the 1890s, and that change in attitude eventually found its’ way into such things as fashion, at the beginning of the decade women’s wardrobes were still exceedingly old-fashioned and restrictive. But some of the loveliest, most feminine scents can be found in that era, and we have created our own version of a Belle Epoque-style “glove scent,” one of the most common uses of perfume at the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:
VIOLET ~ Love, faithfulness, modesty; calming, balancing, healing, protection
,draws luck & fortune, lust.
ORRIS ROOT ~ Attracts and helps inspire love. Protection, divination.
WILDFLOWER HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.
MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing. Powerful guard against evil.
MOSSES ~ Luck enhancing, financial success, protection, charity. Parental love.
MUSK ~
Self-confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.

• 2 weeks later...

This starts out a bit more "juicy" on me, but it becomes very soft and powdery within minutes - it's one of those "silky lingerie" scents to my nose, very delicate and femme. It's not too powdery for me, which violet can sometimes be, I think the touch of sweetness keeps it from going into old lady territory, lol. But if you love LP White or anything with that same vibe you're going to really enjoy this, I think.

I get what Luna means about it starting off juicy. It starts off very Violet forward. Not soapy at all. Within a few minutes the very present Violet backs off and softens and melds with the orris root, becoming powdery and gentle. The oak moss is right there with the soft, powdery evocation. I dont smell the honey or myrrh specifically as separate notes that really pop out but I can tell that they are there, especially the honey which adds a sticky sweetness to the edges of the scent. This is very very pretty.

On my skin, I actually get a lot of the honey - yay! I can smell the violet and soft musk, too. It's a very smooth, soft, skin scent. Great to wear when you're enjoying a day to yourself, lounging around reading or something. Not overpowering, but still pretty. You know how they say some lipsticks are "MLBB" or "my lips but better"? This is MSBB - "my skin but better" LOL

• 1 month later...

On a singular note, I love the honey in this. "Wildflower honey" indeed. It has a similar fragrance to the raw honey I buy. ❤

Ok so I have an unnatural love for this time period and I knew I would own a bottle. I had total faith that Mara would nail it. Success!

My god the notes! I love Orris, myrrh, honey & Mara does excellent violets.

This is a hurried first impression. My box only arrived today and I have had the scent on for maybe 15 minutes. Having honey in the scent i do expect it to "settle down" a bit.

I want to be laced into my corset, strap my razor edged fan to my thigh and jump right into an episode of Murdoch! I would open my own underground club, serve Absinthe and martini cocktails and dance the night away. Of course you'd never know that by day unless you had a good nose for fragrance. This isn't your great-grandmothers toilet water.

This is ladylike but with an EDGE.

A second bottle would require a couple of drops of cops. Oh god cops with this TDF!

Edited by StacyK

• 3 weeks later...

in blind testing of most recent package I grabbed this first. The immediate image was of clouds and clouds of a pale purple cotton candy version of florality. Big, but light and sweet. I was trying to identify what flower I was smelling and as usual I could not but thought to myself - whatever flower this is, I love it and must find it. So of course it turns out to actually be two, and two of my very favorites. This is one of those florals for people who don't like florals IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wanted this to work for me. I want my whole life, my house, my bed, my kids, my cats, to smell all pretty and soft like this, but it's just not a "me" scent. I think I'm just more of a turn of the century prostitute, I like the richer resins and musks that the women of questionable virtue wore. But, it's my understanding that proper ladies who worked in department stores made $5 or $6 a week, whereas the whores made up to ten times as much money and had many more social freedoms than their wholesome counterparts. If I were living in the HBO show Deadwood, I'd rather be Joanie Stubbs (a feisty, well-dressed lesbian madame) than Alma Garret (wealthy wife/widow who married to get her father out of debt and who dealt with her boredom with laudanum).

It's really really pretty. I hope I find a good violet scent for me soon.