Time Travel: 1400

Beccah

il_fullxfull.1418049715_988a.jpg

Time Travel: 1400

A spicy rose scent with a festive holiday flair! Based upon historical recipes for relieving the effects of ill atmospheres - rose petals and bayberry blended with herbal accents of juniper, rosemary EO and pine with a touch of mint. An unexpectedly jolly scent for something of such dire origins!

The Middle Ages were a dark time in human history, as the spread of the Black Plague decimated Europe and Eurasia quite thoroughly by the 1400s. The development of a sort of proto “hazmat” type of outfit included the iconic beaked mask forever associated with the grim legacy of the Plague Doctors, and besides potentially providing protection from person-to-person spread of the disease, the mask allowed the men to store a pomander of herbs within the beak, supposedly as protection from the miasma or "bad air". Smelling this fragrance was likely the best part of such a horrifying job!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:

ROSE ~ Self-confidence, strong aphrodisiac properties, attracts affection & love, fertility, divination/clairvoyance.
BAYBERRY ~ Brings money to the pockets and blessings to the home. Protection, control.
JUNIPER ~ Emotionally calming, physically energizing. Attracts lovers, deflects thieves. Cleansing, purifying, love charms, exorcism, health.
ROSEMARY ~ Intellectual stimulation, purification, love, sensuality, wards against dark forces, invigorating.
PINE ~ Fertility, purification, strength, rejuvenation, calming and soothing, healing, protection, money, long life.
PEPPERMINT ~ Stimulates, restores and uplifts. Cleansing, purification, relaxation, sleep, healing, psychic amplifier.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say this is definitely unisex, it's a really interesting intersection of herbal and floral. The rose and bayberry are in the bottom and make for a bright ripe kind of festive feel - but not sweet at all. And on top of that are the herbal notes, which are just on the edge of being antiseptic but end up imparting a clean kind of impression. I think this is the kind of thing a guy would prefer, actually. I also think it would make for a good room scent.

This does have a bright, airy type of feel to it. The rose is not overpowering or even necessarily feminine, so I could see a guy wearing this. I love the herbal freshness of it. This would be great to wear on New Year's Day, to start the year out clean and fresh.

• 1 year later...

This is rose mixed with a fresh, woodsy scent. It's rejuvenating and invigorating, a high energy perfume. This is what to wear when you need something to perk you up. It's definitely more for waking up than relaxing. This is great for if you have a busy day and need a boost. It's very crisp. The evergreens are there, but they don't take over. They complement the scent instead of dominating. I often find pine hard to wear. It's usually a bit of a bully, kicking down the door, roughing up the other notes and stealing their lunch money. But not here. Here, it is perfectly balanced with the rose. The rose even manages to hold its own on the long dry down. The rose itself has a rose geranium quality. It's a unique, crisp scent and I like it.