Time Travel: 1942

Beccah

il_fullxfull.1418069905_ee8f.jpg

Time Travel: 1942

The advent of World War II brought unprecedented change to the lives of women throughout the Western world, and specifically a more functional attitude in fashion. Trousers became an article of everyday wear for many women, and perfume houses began incorporating elements into women’s scents which were more traditionally associated with men’s fragrance, such as what became known as the “leather-chypre”, (an olfactory shove that signified the need of women to "show some spine").

In this era a woman had to carefully balance her core feminine values with the demands of the war-torn world to toughen up in times of sacrifice, and we salute both the beauty and the strength of their lives with a classically complex blending of numerous florals, spices and resins upon a base of animalic musk and suede chypre. Beautifully sophisticated and appropriate for both daily demands and nightly amusements...a woman’s work is never done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:

IRIS ~ Friendship, faith, wisdom, valor and promise; purification, resurrection.
HYACINTH ~ Attracts love and luck; protection, playfulness, joy
,relieves grief, eases childbirth. Dependability, constancy, friendship.
ROSE ~
Self-confidence, strong aphrodisiac properties, attracts affection & love, fertility, divination/clairvoyance.
MUSK(S) ~
Self-confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
LEATHER ~ The musky scent of leather inspires feelings of lust, personal power, and provides a hint of danger.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
MOSSES ~ Luck enhancing, financial success, protection, charity. Parental love.
LABDANUM ~ One of the oldest known perfume ingredients. Considered holy, used in tribute, and as a sense-memory tool to stimulate the subconscious. Said
torevivelong forgotten memories and feelings.
CORIANDER ~ Love attracting, protection, peace, healing. Encourages people to fall in love.
TUBEROSE ~ Dangerous pleasure. Excitement, sensuality.
NEROLI ~ Sensuality, love, relieves tension & anxiety; quells apprehension, encourages a shy lover, confidence building.
JASMINE ~
Self-confidence, anxiety reduction, prosperity; powerful love attractant, spiritual love.
SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.

Right now I don't get so much of the floral aspect out of this, it's more of a powdery sheen layered over the base. It's primarily the leather-chypre and the musk and it has that same deep sophistication of something like Cat's Eye, where you do feel like it came out of some bygone era and you're just discovering it on someone's dresser top, way at the back and the bottle is dusty but weighty and the juice is dark and congealed but when you take out the stopper the scent immediately greets you and its' power is wholly present. It retains its' own sense of time which is a different thing from mere temporal reality.

Hmm. For me, it was very floral at first. It was mostly a beautiful, light tea rose. I got just that for the first couple of hours. It had a very perfumey waft. I kept smelling something so pretty, and then realized it was me! After a few hours, the florals faded away and I got the soft, musky, resiny base. Very nice!

• 1 month later...

Wet I get a sexy pretty rose. After a bit it gets powdery which I think is the Iris and mosses. I cant pick out any other individual notes other than the three above and amber which grounds it. Does not seem to be lasting that long so next time I wear it. Its very Very pretty.

• 3 weeks later...

This is heaven. In blind test it gave me ultra-vivid image of a dim, hushed victorian-furniture-and-wallpaper boudoir, various silky nightclothes and lingerie scattered about including over the top of a tall tasseled privacy screen, gorgeous ancient wooden dresser on which an open jewelry case is spilling tons of pearls and a large, very fluffy, very soft cat is sprawled out and purring loudly. About an hour in I was able to recognize rose, but otherwise this is one of those LPs in which the notes feel extremely integrated and "fully baked" from day one. Mid-drydown it is quiet and powdery and demure and wears close. I just said something similar re 1890 but again, here, this is a chypre for people who don't like chypre - I generally don't go for them and they're very not me, but I am enjoying the heck out of this. :) Even though I am not picking it up consciously, maybe it's the leather that is giving it a little edge, or buffering the super ladylikeness of the blend, just enough to make it work for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I like this. Starts out as roses and leather. Dries down into a lovely, feminine scent and not as old fashioned as you might think. One of those that smells like a classy perfume without the commercial harshness. The bonus is that it has Mara's undertones that you are not going to get anywhere else. It's floral, but not overtly so. I think that undertone I'm getting is labdanum. I also love how it was created for an actress to evoke the character she plays!

• 1 month later...

I definitely agree with SirenSong about it smelling like a classy perfume without the commercial harshness, bc that's what I got right out of the bottle (with a healthy whiff of amber). I smell like leather and rose, the most, right now. I'll need to get a full bottle when I can.  

• 2 years later...

Saw this is a threebie and figured I could throw in my review! It's a really lovely powder room musky floral, and the leather makes it feel very "clean" without veering into soapy. It does feel mature, a bit old fashioned but in that sort of classy, elegant older woman way. It evokes an image of using those perfume powders at a fancy old school vanity. Wet, the rose and leather are definitely strongest, but as it dries the leather floats off into the background to kind of elevate the whole experience. Elevated, but it's still wreathed by something warm. It's a very lofty sort of energy without feeling disconnected or distant. And after writing all that, I went to read the blurb... I think the effect vibes perfectly with the intention!

I'll also third the comment about it being a "classy perfume" scent. When I first opened it and got a whiff, I was almost surprised! It feels like I could've smelled it in a high end department store. It's not a "me" scent, but it is very pretty.

• 1 month later...

the top note that stands out is the leather (I adore it!) On a base of...dry roses?...dry floral? There's some notes I don't recognize that also stand out and honestly I'm shook at how well rounded this is with how many notes are in this ❤️

Not over the top at all and it's so elegant, I don't pick up any "powdery" ness at all and it remains a leather/rose? Forward scent on me

• 2 years later...
On 4/20/2018 at 4:24 PM, SugarKitten said:

I definitely agree with SirenSong about it smelling like a classy perfume without the commercial harshness, bc that's what I got right out of the bottle (with a healthy whiff of amber). I smell like leather and rose, the most, right now. I'll need to get a full bottle when I can.  

I put this one. on the shelf for a while bc someone had complained that it was too strong on me, but I don't work near them now, so back on it goes. I've been layering it with Lataffa's Velvet Rose (the idea being that the oil would help it last longer, bc while it's an incredible scent, PerfumeTok lied to me and it's not very long-lasting, sadly. 

I've fallen back in love with this one. I'm afraid I'll run out before this month is over, bc I've been wearing it almost every day since xmas.