Mike's Havana on Earth

Beccah

AD-PE-MikeHOE.jpg

Definitely a gent scent, this one is in the family of the power fougeres so popular in the 80's, which I remember with great fondness and moistness. ;) Crafted on a fern-y fougere accord base, with notes of warm sandalwood and tobacco leaf. Confident and manly with good throw, an excellent phero carrier.

I'm intrigued, yet afraid. Most very-green stuff is a bad time for me. But, of course, I loved Paco Rabanne in the 80's, is this anything like that? It was heavy green, but sexy.

Not quite as green as that, a little more resiny/woody/tobacco leaf. More like Halston Z-14 style?

I think I remember the men/boys that wore the big 80's scents than the scents themselves. I remember one boy in particular who always had a bottle of Brut in his locker, I would've had Opium or Ralph Lauren in mine. Or one other YSL that was maybe in a round shaped bottle? Paris? Yup, that one. There was that yellow one, Georgio?, that all the girls liked, I stuck to my two YSL's, winter and summer. Good times.

• 3 weeks later...

Just recieved this one, and my man put it on right away. I love it! You know how Luna describes something as an "I am a real grown up lady," scent, or something like that? This is like that, for me, except it's a real grown up man kind of scent.

I definately get Mara's 80's reference, it's the kind of scent a man would wear when real dressed up for a special occasion. Like maybe smuggling a couple kilo's of cocaine on one's speed boat on an episode of Miami Vice. The kind of scent a guy I'd have a crazy crush on in high school would wear. I had it boosted with Charisma, which is perfect, as it's a very charismatic man smell. Not a boy smell. I'm terrible at picking out notes and describing them, all I can say it's that it's decadent sexy, clean sexy, green sexy, polished sexy, and "good guy" sexy, all at the same time. Like he's a drug smuggler, sure, but he gives half of his money to the local orphanage and he only has one wife and they've been together forever and he's never cheated, just flirts. He flirts a lot. Even with little old ladies, he loves to make them giggle like schoolgirls.The guy wearing this has NEVER been a shrinking flower, and the girls are on him like bees checking out a half-melted cherry popsicle. The bees know it's not really a flower, that it's not the right fit for them, but they keep hovering around anyway.

Like maybe smuggling a couple kilo's of cocaine on one's speed boat on an episode of Miami Vice.

So you're basically saying Glenn Frey would have worn this in 1985. ;)

FANTASTIC review, Eastwood! :lol:

Aw, thanks! Not entirely sure my man's loving the cocaine smuggling idea though, I'll have to re-sell the Glenn Frey angle.

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely bold like a powerhouse-type fragrance for sure. The tobacco has a nutty quality I think is really interesting. I think this is a bit too much for my boysmell tastes, but it is everything Mara says it is!

• 2 months later...

My son is 12 and going to his first dance. My ex took him shopping at Gap Kids yesterday for his outfit, he chose nice very dark jeans, a medium/dark chambray button down with white stitching, and bright white leather sneakers. It made me giggle when when I saw them, it reminded me of Jax's shoes from Sons of Anarchy. I just put Mike's Havana on Earth on him, I guess it's my age, since all my first dances were in the 80's, but it seems like what I would expect a boy to wear at a dance, the cologne his dad would put on him as the final touch. 

Lol that makes me giggle too. Those bright white kicks have been a thug life staple for so long now that it’s hard not to think of that. But it’s definitely trickled down to mainstream fashion at this point. I hope his dance goes well.

10 hours ago, halo0073 said:

Lol that makes me giggle too. Those bright white kicks have been a thug life staple for so long now that it’s hard not to think of that. But it’s definitely trickled down to mainstream fashion at this point. I hope his dance goes well.

Thx. I just thought it was so odd, he's never worn white sneakers in his life and that's what he picked to woo the ladies? Also, the dance was hosted by a $45K/yr school, so I bet the whole thuggery draw is huge over there.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:01 AM, halo0073 said:

Does he like hip hop?

Um, I think he thinks he likes hip hop. I don't let him listen to very much because he's 12 and I don't want him filling his brain with mysogonistic lyrics. Like, I know all the lyrics to Ol' Dirty Bastards "Got Your Money," but I sure don't want my kids to know them. When he was little, I rewrote all the lyrics to the Beastie Boys Paul Revere for a kid friendly version. But just yesterday, when I suggested that he leave the wiffle ball bat in the park for other kids to play with, he said something about "especially after what he did with it." If he comes upon a love for hip hop, it's not going to come from me, I'm pushing the Highway to Hell/Rock the Casbah angle, although he was singing Fleetwood Mac last week and he came upon that by himself.

• 1 year later...

I have to stop in here and say that this one is absolutely haunting. My man put it on like a million hours ago and I can still smell it. It's somewhere on me but not sure where, the back of my hand, my hair, I have no idea. But I cannot escape it and I don't want to! @Potion Master I hope you make something like this for the gents  for the fall. It's so commanding!

I emailed shop to see if there's any left unclaimed. 

Edited by Eastwood22
Because Mike

On 4/28/2018 at 12:38 AM, halo0073 said:

I bought my first pair of men's white Nike high tops in junior high school. I think the canvas ones were around $26 and the leather ones were around $40. That was 1978  The first year they made them.  But they were considered main stream not thug. I liked high tops so went from converse high tops to Nike high tops. I still wear the same design. It's tough to find them in size 6 so always on the hunt. I never thought of them as thug. Is that really all people think of now? 

@Eastwood22  I got behind on posting PEs over on etsy so it's likely we still have some. If not I can certainly make something similar. I still have that recipe. 

6 hours ago, Potion Master said:

I bought my first pair of men's white Nike high tops in junior high school. I think the canvas ones were around $26 and the leather ones were around $40. That was 1978  The first year they made them.  But they were considered main stream not thug. I liked high tops so went from converse high tops to Nike high tops. I still wear the same design. It's tough to find them in size 6 so always on the hunt. I never thought of them as thug. Is that really all people think of now? 

Yeah I had to explain to my kids that "back in the day", Converse was pretty much the only choice in "gym shoes" that were not cleats. I was "all that" when I got a pair of Puma? shoes for track - I ran the mile. They were so light weight, it felt almost like I was not wearing shoes. 

• 3 years later...

My man’s wearing Havana on Earth and a friend of mine just called me from a rehab in Southern California called Hotel California! (This is a good thing, fairly overdue.) These two things together compel me to share this Don Henley interview excerpt-

Journalist once asked Don Henley about lyric 'mistake' in The Eagles song Hotel California and it did not end well

Geez, i thought most people understood that the "spirit" in that line referred to the lost idealism of the flower children.

@luna65 right? Pretty sure every kid growing up listening to the radio in the 70’s got it, how that man got a job as a journalist, and the opportunity to do that interview, boggles the mind.