Amethyst Haze

Beccah

il_fullxfull.1520942985_nusc.jpg?version

In late Spring many areas of the world are transformed by vibrant purple curtains of wisteria, the flowers seeming to cascade from trees and vines, providing an enchanting sight where the very air itself seems to take on that same intense shade. Wisteria blossoms possess a variety of symbolic significance - love and luck and new life - but always invoke an air of mysterious beauty which we have embodied with this fragrance...wisteria petals folded into a base of dusty-musky cocoa butter further deepened with the mystical smokey aura of exotic oud and bakhoor.

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
WISTERIA ~ Welcomingnew
person into your life. Youth, eloquence.
COCOA BUTTER ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.
OUD & BAKHOOR ~ Love,
aphrodisia, spirituality, health.

• 2 weeks later...

The first perfume with wisteria that I discovered I love was Tattooed Lady. This one is altogether different. The dusty cocoa butter calms the floral down, and the oud and bakhoor (which I've never heard of or smelled) really give this a distinction. It would a fabulous fragrance for an evening out, it's grown-up and elegant. I feel like a confident, put-together woman, even though I forgot my phone today, and the rain caused a leak in my office ceiling and it smells like rusty metal pipes and wet drywall in here. I smell great, and that's all that matters.

I went to the garden centre some months - could it even be a year? - ago, and there was a flowering wisteria tree and it smelled amazing.  So looking forward to trying this scent.

This one provokes deep unexpected feelings in me much the same way that Lilac Fairy Cake did, I can't stop sniffing it!  But it is potent.  It's like I can almost taste it.

I don't know if I've ever smelled actual wisteria before, but this has a "purple" scent to me, which is silly I know but that's my honest emotional response, lol.  There is a very heady floral impression which reminds me of plumeria just in terms of the sweetness and intensity.  The other notes seem to anchor and frame the wisteria, adding complimentary elements but at the same time they're like something which you don't necessarily recognize for their own inherent qualities but if they weren't there you would know it.  After a time the oud is more present in terms of that deep mysterious quality.  To me this has a vibe like Crayons: Carbon Black does - it's intense and very womanly.

ETA: in the long drydown there's a sort of creaminess which emerges, to make you think of a really luxe dusting powder or soap.

I smelled this month’s scents without reviewing the notes, and this one was truly a mystery. I had to stop and look it up! It is so seamlessly blended, I truly can’t decipher one note from the other. It is rich, floral, and elegant. I tend to amp oud but not once during the wearing of this did it rear its head. Everything stayed perfectly balanced and like Luna said, towards the end I got a really creamy soapy smell.

I went to a garden party yesterday with a bunch of blue-haired southern ladies (it was an experience!!) and wore this on a whim. It was so perfect. I only wish I had worn my LFM with it!

It’s early but this is in the lead for my favorite this month!

I love this one ... it is a bright and powerful sweet floral with an undertone of mystery, something not quite recognised yet which smoothes everything out.  It is both a sophisticated and a "splash on my wrist and go running down the street leaving a wisp of something behind" scent.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to thank LP/Mara for introducing me to the wonders of the scent of Wisteria. I've loved every wisteria scent I've tried and this one is a winner too. 

Heavenly, purple, musky with that subtle hint of warmth & earth. Wisteria puts me in a good mood. It can be fresh and sultry all at once. It has a dusky quality which I think is why it partners so well with resins. 

On my skin the scent is gloriously elegant wirh a hint of mystery. FB winner.

• 3 weeks later...

Wisteria is NOT my friend. I sampled it today, was instantly overwheled with its flower intensity, but had faith that it would mellow into something wearable. It wasn't a scent memory that was rubbing me the wrong way, but I imagine that if this were flowering nearby it would nonchalantly insert itself into every interaction. All I got out of it was a headache. Ironically, by the time I was done teaching this am, it was something soft and would have otherwise been intriguing if the wisteria hadn't already kicked my ass. Who gets their ass handed to them by a pretty little flower? Me.

I’m generally not a floral perfume chick, and so, even though this was not a winner for me, it has good qualities in that it is intense and long lasting  (which is great if you love something). It morphed into a luxury dusting powder or guest soap type fragrance. 

For those who mentioned the actual wisteria flower, two main types (and their variations) are primarily found here in the US. I’ve grown both. The Chinese wisteria is sweeter and more of a “purple”  flower type scent,  and the wisteria native to this continent is much muskier (and not actually very sweet). This one is my preference over the Asian variety, but if you took a preference poll, I don’t know that I’d be in the majority. 

7 hours ago, Eve said:

The Chinese wisteria is sweeter and more of a “purple”  flower type scent,  and the wisteria native to this continent is much muskier (and not actually very sweet).

I wonder if Mara used both? Stacy did call it sultry. Or maybe that was from the oud and bakhoor? I'm glad that I don't love them all, it's hard enough to choose as it is. There are a few flowers that are just too intense for me. But it's kind of like being a vegetarian and looking at an overwhelmingly extensive menu, it's nice to have things a bit narrowed down. 

7 hours ago, Eastwood22 said:

I wonder if Mara used both? Stacy did call it sultry. Or maybe that was from the oud and bakhoor? I'm glad that I don't love them all, it's hard enough to choose as it is. There are a few flowers that are just too intense for me. But it's kind of like being a vegetarian and looking at an overwhelmingly extensive menu, it's nice to have things a bit narrowed down. 

Yeah, I don’t know. (That was profound?)

The variant of native wisteria which I currently have, is named Amethyst Falls, and if you google reviews of it, some people will describe it as smelling like cat pee, and I think that is because they may be very sensitive to musky odors, and they dislike this type of scent. And, no, for the record, Amethyst Falls does NOT smell like cat pee!!  

Chinese wisteria is more intense, and although it doesn’t really smell the same as stalk or freesia, I kind of group them together in the same category for my own frame of reference, if that makes sense. They have a permeating sweet scent. 

Edited by Eve
Syntax

I like this one ... but every so often I get a quality that smells like pheromone (of which there is none), so I wonder if it's the cat pee version of wisteria.  I have Sugared Wisteria which when I reviewed described it as a dusky purple scent.  I am enchanted by the mysterious quality provided by the oud.  However, my husband says it smells like perfume.  This is used to describe Mara's concoctions which he doesn't prefer as much as others.  So, I totally get the drydown descriptions of powder/soap.  However, I am really liking it, so it will go on my list.  I can always use a "purple scent" that does not contain lavender!

• 6 months later...

This goes on very purple with a lot of sweetness. It's not really sheer or heavy, more of a midweight, I'd say. It's smooth, with a hint of something dry in the background. A rich scent almost like unburned incense develops, that's not quite powdery and not quite spicy. The scent isn't overly complex, but still sophisticated and luxe. It's a touch perfumey in a way that most lpmps aren't, but not a modern perfume, more like an old fashioned exotic perfume you'd expect to find in a bazaar somewhere a century ago. It's nice, but it's just not me. 

The wisteria dies down pretty quickly, leaving the underlying notes. When the wisteria is prominent it's very summery, but after the wisteria disappears it feels more autumnal or wintery. About an hour or so in, it becomes sweeter and a bit smoky, but eventually turns powdery. I think it could layer well with other scents.

• 2 months later...

I wore this to bed last night. It's really lovely! I, too, found it to be a "purple" scent (does...does anyone else wonder if most of us who've wound up here have some sort of scent/colour synesthesia?). But when I thought about 'would I wear this often,' (aka should I buy a full bottle), the answer was no, and I don't really understand why. It's so pretty! But I guess it's just not really me or something, I don't know. It IS really pretty, though.

I was in the South once and there were purple flowering trees everywhere...I guess that was probably wisteria? I don't remember the scent. But this perfume was both something I don't think I've smelled before, but also familiar to me in some way.