Sugared Patchouli

likeprettythings

In the sample vial it defintely has the signature dark sugar scent. It mellows out to reveal the patchouli upon wearing it and then finally softening to warmer tones of earthy spice. Sugared Patchouli is similar to Sugared Egyptian Musk for me. But the Sugared Egyptian Musk in complex and softer than the Sugared Patchouli. The Sugared Patchouli is more sharp and crisp.

That's a good example of how we experience scents differently...to me Sugared Patchouli is a very mellow aged patchouli with a layer of sugar over top, and it's an interesting dichtomy of earthy and sweet. It's my absolute favorite LPMP scent, and one of my top five patchoulis (as a patchouli lover I enjoy collecting those kinds of perfumes).

Historically it's had a context of exotica, once the British began utilizing it in colonial exports, so to me it's an enduring evocation of other places and time periods.

• 3 months later...

I'm not a fan of patchouli in general. On me it smells like a mix of wet earth and bad incense. HOWEVER, I tried this one after reading raves about it in the 'what's your potion of the day' thread and my oh my, Mara has worked some sort of wonderful magic with this where it's soft and sweet and delicate while still retaining basic patchouli qualities only not as strong or overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, this is still potent. You only need a little bit and that goes a long way. But it's such a lovely patchouli that if you like patchouli in the slightest bit this one is well worth a try. It's warm and earthy with a hint of incense aroma.

• 2 years later...

wow! This is one strong chinese medicine scent on me! :yeahthat::o:O This is def. one of the notes that my skin totally disagree to! :) i wonder why.... :)

• 8 years later...

I was a bit wary of patchouli, since it's a problem note for a lot of people. But this is really nice. It's deep, earthy and a little green. It makes me think of a forest after a rain. (This is speaking as someone who didn't really know what patchouli by itself smelled like before smelling this!)

It's probably not something I would wear by itself, but I could see it as a great "grounding" scent to lend depth to fragrances that are a little too sweet or bright. I can't wait to layer this with a cakey sugary scent to see if I get something like Double O. 

• 3 years later...

This one smells very faint and slightly bitter on me. I’m in the same direction with @starlitegirl smells like fossils on me. I might experiment by layering non-complicated scents with it

On 12/13/2008 at 3:51 PM, starlitegirl said:

I'm not a fan of patchouli in general. On me it smells like a mix of wet earth and bad incense. HOWEVER, I tried this one after reading raves about it in the 'what's your potion of the day' thread and my oh my, Mara has worked some sort of wonderful magic with this where it's soft and sweet and delicate while still retaining basic patchouli qualities only not as strong or overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, this is still potent. You only need a little bit and that goes a long way. But it's such a lovely patchouli that if you like patchouli in the slightest bit this one is well worth a try. It's warm and earthy with a hint of incense aroma.

I tried it again today and it doesn't smell bitter on me any more. It's actually bright and cool on my skin today as if it got a bit of menthol. Applied the sugared amber next to it and mixed together on my skin - amazing! Thank you so much for your beautiful work, LP team!