Archive: Sweet Pea Cupcake

luna65

Because we know you're crazy for cupcakes, we've created another fabulous gourmand floral especially for Spring! Our most deliriously delicious blend of vanilla cake accords: layer cake, poundcake, and birthday cake, topped with a scrumptious swirl of cotton candy buttercream frosting. We've added just a touch of Nepalese amber for depth and decorated it with a beautiful sweet pea, the flower which expresses the most delicate kind of pleasure in its lovely fragrance.

SWEET PEA ~ Lasting pleasure, blissfulness, youthful attraction, friendship, chastity, courage, strength.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
BUTTER/CREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.
BROWN & PINK SUGARS ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness and riches. Lust inducing, wishes granted.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.

Created by: Mara Fox

Description: Julie (luna65)

Label art:

February 2014

You know the whole cupcake craze?  You think it was some gourmet pastry chef or food writer who started it?   Here’s the truth: it was the fairies.  That’s right, the Fae - why do you think they call them fairy cakes?  The fairies love sweets, especially baked goods, and if you didn’t remind them to eat some vegetables once in a while, they'd rot their wee teeth with all the sugar they consume!  But being so isolated in the Hollow Hills and all, with only a few humans ever seduced to come and dwell underneath, well, their culinary skills turn a mite stale.  The Queen was most upset by this turn of events and so she sent some of her trusted advisors topside to find out if the mortals could do any better than her brownie cooks.  I caught a couple pixies rummaging in the kitchen of my bakery one night and what do you think?  They had combed through all my cookbooks and were testing my best recipes right there!  

“The nerve!” I cried, not particularly fussed that magical beings were sifting and sorting and mixing and pouring ingredients and generally making a mess of things until…I tasted one of the finished cupcakes, just plain right out of the oven.

Wow.

Even now, words cannot describe the sheer joy I experienced biting into that cupcake.  And it was just your average vanilla cupcake, you know?  None of these fancy newfangled trendy favors or anything, just vanilla.  But vanilla which was so warm and light yet complex, with echoes of the bean ripening in the sun, the flower blooming full to reveal its secret bounty…I could smell and taste the place from where it has come, all in that one bite.

“So, because I ate one of your cupcakes that means I have to come with you, right?” I asked.  The pixies talked among themselves for a time, but their speech sounded like tiny bells to my mundane ears.  They shook their heads in unison, and made off with several trays full of the same vanilla cupcakes of which I had tasted. 

Curious, I decided to make up a batch myself, trying to make sense of their tiny notations in my cookbooks, and because the utensils had been magicked by their very presence, those were the best cupcakes I’d ever created.

So yeah, it was me…sorta.  I’ve been written up in all the food magazines, interviewed on talk shows, received loads of publicity.  I can barely keep up with the demand.  But every so often a pixie appears and chatters at me in ringing tones, and I know it’s time to bake another large batch for the Fair Folk, to whom no one would ever believe I owe my amazing success.

(You’re welcome, by the way.)