Love Potion: Black

Teggy

LP Black was one of my first loves.....it is one of my staples!!!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting on this one to arrive to give it another go. Now that I have a more seasoned LP nose, lol, I'd almost be willing to bet this one will impact me differently than it did a year ago. I can't even remember clearly what it smells like. I want to love a resiny scent and I love S&V and would scoop up a bottle if it came unphero'd. I'm excited to try Black again now. :)

. Much later, I ordered it again and I *love* it! I have two bottles now, lol

^_^ WOW! I would say that's a turn around for sure! I had only ever had a sample and never really thought much about it once it was gone. Now I'm excited to see how my opinion of it may have changed since then. Package is on it's way so I'm hoping to have it before the end of next week! :)

^_^ WOW! I would say that's a turn around for sure! I had only ever had a sample and never really thought much about it once it was gone. Now I'm excited to see how my opinion of it may have changed since then. Package is on it's way so I'm hoping to have it before the end of next week! :)

I really like LP Black but I am one who definitely had to work my way around to it.

I really don't get a lot of resinous scent off it.

On my skin it is more a deep, dark, exotic, honeycomb foody with that kiss of Amber. The Amber is blended pretty deeply in that LP base.

Maybe I've just spread more into the resins so what may have once shocked my nose is now lighter to my taste. interesting.

I think OCCo Black or NOCO black is maybe a bit more resinous. It is also more perfume'ish.

I think I need a NOCO Black then I'll have both to suit my moods.... the wish list grows.....

Does anyone use NOCO black ?

Maybe I've just spread more into the resins so what may have once shocked my nose is now lighter to my taste. interesting.

I think OCCo Black or NOCO black is maybe a bit more resinous. It is also more perfume'ish.

YES! This! I'm wondering how my year's soiree at LP has changed the way my senses interpret scents now.

I did jump on the FB of OCCO, but the reviews seem to point to them being similar and yet quite different. Curious that it's more resinous. Now THIS will be just fascinating! I can't wait to compare! OCCO more resinous AND perfume like? I wouldn't have guessed it!

YES! This! I'm wondering how my year's soiree at LP has changed the way my senses interpret scents now.

I did jump on the FB of OCCO, but the reviews seem to point to them being similar and yet quite different. Curious that it's more resinous. Now THIS will be just fascinating! I can't wait to compare! OCCO more resinous AND perfume like? I wouldn't have guessed it!

See I don't think Occo black and LP black are anything alike, In scent or feel.

LPB is very foodie with tbe rich vanilla base and honeycomb.

OCCo black is, to me, almost classic smelling, dark, resinous musky scent. Closer to Ann's BS Black Amber.

They are both dark but in different ways .. :)

Edited by StacyK

See I don't think Occo black and LP black are anything alike, In scent or feel.

LPB is very foodie with tbe rich vanilla base and honeycomb.

OCCo black is, to me, almost classic smelling, dark, resinous musky scent. Closer to Ann's BS Black Amber.

They are both dark but in different ways .. :)

DREAMY! I have a bottle of BSBA and LURV it...this is causing my foot to thump. I DO remember LPB being foodie but I just can't recall any more than that - it's just been to long since I had it solo...I had mixed the little bit of my sample left with LP Pink so I don't know at all what LPB is like on its own anymore...

I didn't find them similar either. OCCO: Black smells lovely & resinous on me, while LP Black smells very strongly of celery.

D'OH! Celery?! I don't recall celery :D NOW I'm DYING of curiosity! :lol:

In the vial, LP Black smells...sweet. Vanilla and spicy brown sugar on a bed of sweet patchouli...is there such a thing as sweet patchouli? I could swear there's something sweet and fruity, but there's no fruit in the notes. I think if I was looking for something resiny to my nose, this could be it. I love that it's so sweet too, how wonderfully strange! I know that LP has changed my thinking about patchouli over this past year. It reminds me a tinge of LP P&D. I bet this would layer ridiculously with OCCO Red! I will have to get a FB of LP Black in my next order!

It reminds me a tinge of LP P&D. I bet this would layer ridiculously with OCCO Red! I will have to get a FB of LP Black in my next order!

That is because LP P & D is a blend of LP Black and LP Red.....P & D was made by Mara because so many ladies were wearing Black and Red layered.

That is because LP P & D is a blend of LP Black and LP Red.....P & D was made by Mara because so many ladies were wearing Black and Red layered.

AH! So technically it's really LP P&D that reminds me of LP Black, not the other way around :D Oooooo! I bet this WOULD be fantastic with Red - I thought of OCCO Red right away because it plays sweeter on me than LP Red. I CANNOT stop huffy my arm where I applied this and the OCCO version is DEFINATELY not the same animal. I honestly don't remember this being so sweet when I tried it a whopping year ago :huh: and yet it's not exactly foodie but I can't seem to tear my nose away from it!

Would anyone be willing to hazard a guess at what it is my nose is picking out as a sweet fruit smell? What is chypre? Could it be that? It's in the description, but not in the notes listed. Could be my untrained nose playing games with me too :D Wouldn't be the first time!

• 1 month later...

When my sample first arrived I just did not think this scent was for me. I thought it was too dark and figured it was just one of those that did not "work" for me. 20 days later I am praying January gets here quicker so I can order more. I know scents change as they age a bit but I think the big change for me was what I expected a "perfume" to smell like. I think all those years store bought "perfumes" jaded me when it came to what I thought LP Scents would be like. LP scents were so different and not only challenged everything I thought a scent should be but rewrote the whole damn book. I fell in love with amber in Ambre Amour and will be buying some Sugared Amber and Sugared Honeycomb...but LP Black was a surprise hit for me. I like it better than LP Red which amps cinnamon. ( still like the LP Red....just not as much as the Black)

LP Black just exudes an exotic and mysterious air about it. Whispers " come closer"

To anyone new that is reading this I think the biggest thing to note with LP scents is that you become part of the equation as to how it smells. Many store bought perfumes just sit unchanged on skin and it smells the same on almost everyone. LP scents meld with your body and becomes your own unique scent. Some work and some don't ( I cannot get LP Gold to work at all) My idea of what I would like has gone out the window and my body is telling me what "It" likes. I think when you have your body and a scent working so closely together...it leads to pure heaven.

At this point I just don't know what I thought LP scents would be like when I first ordered....but I was way off. While I like Vanilla...I thought I would be firmly in the floral camp but as time goes on I find I lean towards amber and resins. Vanilla still sits firmly in my "love" column but the vanilla in Occo white...not more foody frosting types. I don't mind sweet...but not too sweet. And for florals...it needs to be more of a suggestion of a scent than a hard scent.

I will continue to work my way through the list I have and add to it as I read the forums...but LP Black is a winner.

ETA: I will be trying some of this with LP Red since that seems to be a popular mix as well. Do most use it 50/50 when with Red?

Edited by irish eyes

I think the big change for me was what I expected a "perfume" to smell like. I think all those years store bought "perfumes" jaded me when it came to LP Scents. They were so different and not only challenged everything I thought a scent should be but rewrote the whole damn book.

I LOVED you entire post btw, but this statement struck me because I feel exactly the same way - and I'd bet a lot of us here do! I've been going crazy trying everything because EVERYTHING I thought I believed is out the window here with LP. So glad you're also enthralled by how amazing all these blooming, morphing, melding perfumes are! ^_^

Well I think even the foodie ones at the store are just like a generic vanilla cupcake sittin on a paper plate...LP Scents are a great big bowl of something you can sink into. It doesn't matter if it is foodie, flowers or thick rich resins...it just feels like sinking into the scent and as it changes it is hard to know where the scent ends and you begin.

I never tried artisan fragrances before LP so I don't know if that is the norm...but for me it is the other side of the rainbow.....the colorful side.

Yeah, I completely agree irish eyes. And I find myself pretty much wanting to nom on all the scents, whether they're foody or not. There's just something so deliciously visceral about them.

A while ago I bought all of the Love Potion scents currently available, and when they came I had a test fest on my wrists and décolletage. I decided to smother a goodly bit of LP Original, LP Red, LP Pink and LP Black on my skin at the same time in slightly different places so I could smell all of them and see how they might mix together. After an hour or so they all mellowed into the most incredible mix ever and I spent the rest of the day wandering round snorting myself constantly. It was a good day- the scent was magickal and made me very happy. I haven't worn LP Black much on its own, because it's summer here and to me it feels like a heavier scent that could be a bit overpowering in the heat, but it is amazing, and gets sweeter and creamier as time goes on.

it feels like a heavier scent that could be a bit overpowering in the heat, but it is amazing, and gets sweeter and creamier as time goes on.

I think this is where I went wrong initially with Black! I had tried it as one of the sampler set just starting out at LP, not realizing how the scents morphed over time....like Irish eyes, I'd never encountered artisan perfumes...and I was very leery of everything (embarrassing to say now). I'm POSITIVE that I didn't allow Black to go through the "stages" because you're absolutely right! This gets SO dreamy, creamy and delicious! I had mentally marked it off my list without giving it fair skin time and I could just KICK myself! But I claim ignorance because I really had NO idea how amazing LP was going to be...everything I thought I knew I've written off - it just doesn't apply here! :bday1029:

I think this is where I went wrong initially with Black! I had tried it as one of the sampler set just starting out at LP, not realizing how the scents morphed over time....like Irish eyes, I'd never encountered artisan perfumes...and I was very leery of everything (embarrassing to say now). I'm POSITIVE that I didn't allow Black to go through the "stages" because you're absolutely right! This gets SO dreamy, creamy and delicious! I had mentally marked it off my list without giving it fair skin time and I could just KICK myself! But I claim ignorance because I really had NO idea how amazing LP was going to be...everything I thought I knew I've written off - it just doesn't apply here! :bday1029:

If I had tried this right off the bat here I bet I would not have been ready for it.

I like it now. I just tried Un Audacious for the first time tonight and I think this would be so great with Black.

Well, now you all have me thinking I should try this again!

I've had the weirdest experience with LP Black. When I first got the sample, I felt as if it was an instant home run. I put it on, I sniffed and was in heaven with the dark, resinous gooey goodness.

The next time I wore it I got something else entirely -- very nutty, almost, with a slightly unpleasant rubbery note? I was so convinced it was a fluke that I went ahead and ordered a full bottle because I had loved it so much on the initial application.

But no, every time I try it now I get this weird nutty sweetness with slight overtones of rubber. It's puzzling and sad because I was convinced it was going to be a regular staple for me. But there are so many other things that do work I'll let it go for now. The mystery of chemistry!

I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that you can layer it with things to change it a bit.LP Red, Sugared Amber, Sugared Honeycomb, Occo Pink and LP Pink have been mentioned. I have also read that at least one or two blend it out with LP Original at something like 2:1. ( 2 parts LPO/1 part LP BLK). Not sure if you have any of those but it might be worth a try before giving up on it.

It sounds like all of these scents can be layered so you can try many different scent combinations.

Edited by irish eyes

Yes, I've always recommended layering with LP Black because it can be a challenge to wear for some people, and I'm one of them! But over the years I have figured out how to make it work for me. I can even wear it on its own now in small amounts.

Yes, I've always recommended layering with LP Black because it can be a challenge to wear for some people, and I'm one of them! But over the years I have figured out how to make it work for me. I can even wear it on its own now in small amounts.

What do you layer it with Luna?

LP Pink or LP Red both are amazing with it.

Also, the same with the Occos.

If it really doesn't work I'm sure you can trade it. I think I saw it on 2 or 3 Wanted lists.

Edited by StacyK

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried my sample of this one...another surprise for me, I think I love it!

It's so strange how some of these scents, when reading the description, I think I'm going to love and then I don't, and then others that I think won't work for me are some of my favorites. I was really afraid that I wouldn't like LP Red or Black, but Red is one of my favorites and it's in my cart right now for my next order. But now that I've sampled LP Black, I'm finding it hard to choose which one I like best! Of course I haven't worn LP Black out into the world yet, so I guess I should do that before I change my order.

I thought I would love LP Gold and LP Pink, and neither of them have been my favorites. But since I DO like Red and Black so much, I might give Pink another try. I'm fairly certain that Gold just isn't going to work for me.

Anyway, more specific for LP Black, I love how thick and dense this scent is! I was really surprised, when I looked at the description again, that it doesn't have any licorice in it, because I definitely get a nice licorice smell. And before finding LP, I never would have thought of licorice smell as "nice"! I can't remember which scent - maybe Vieux Carre? - but one of them convinced me that licorice scent is good after all. LP Black is definitely a thick creamy foody smell on me. I'm a little unsure now what I'll be wearing tomorrow...I was planning on LP Red, but this one might just make me change my mind!

Many wear them both layered together. There used to be a scent with them mixed called Passion and Desire) As for the Pink, if you are looking for a pink note I guess Occo Pink is a bit sweeter than LP Pink. Just have to deal with Cops.

LP Gold turned to pungent Lemongrass on me. I thought I would love it when I read the notes but it didn't love me. Black is wonderful and I can only imagine it gets better with age. To me when I smell it in the vial it isn't just a smell. It is more like being infused with the scent. I do tend to layered Red and Black. Red on its own isn't bad but I love it with Black better. I will try layering Pink with the Black when it arrives as others suggested but since Black is fine for me on its own I have no problem wearing it often.

I really wish this didn't smell like celery on me. And even more, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my sample so quickly, 'cause so many people have successfully paired it with LP Pink that now I wanna try!

Have any of you paired LP Pink with OCCO Black? 'Cause I LOVE OCCO Black, and I'd like to try that, (alas, I gave my OCCO Black sample away, too, 'cause I thought it was next on my purchase list... but it wasn't).

When I first got the LP Black I did not care for it. I think I even washed it off because it smelled wonky like cheap tobacco. But one day I opened the vile and it was pure heaven.....not sure if it was my sense of smell that changed or the Black had aged or both but I am loving on it now.

I was hoping to get a sample of OCCO Black with my second order this month. I will give it a try.

Edited by irish eyes

When I first got the LP Black I did not care for it. I think I even washed it off because it smelled wonky like cheap tobacco. But one day I opened the vile and it was pure heaven.....not sure if it was my sense of smell that changed or the Black had aged or both but I am loving on it now.

Me too! I'm not sure what or how it happened, but I'm glad it's part of the permanent line because I totally SLATHER this now :lol:

Many wear them both layered together.

That's exactly what I did today. I went heavy on the LP Red (it already has added Heart & Soul phero), and layered it with a bit of LP Black and a bit of Lick of Cream. It smelled WONDERFUL!!! It didn't quite last all day like I'd hoped, but then my work day was like 12 hours long today:(

• 1 month later...

This was one that I liked initially, but thought was way too strong and a bit much for daily use - but it has been growing on me and it feels really comfortable now!

I'm going to do a proper review when I have more time, it's one of the more complicated scents I think.

I'm considering getting a bottle of this boosted with Bang!

Has anyone tried that combination?

Okay so i appreciate this resin now, I was actually craving to slather it on along with all the other resins in my collection since late January but i was away from home.

This was the first one i reached for and its still cloying as ever but i didnt pay any mind to it and let it chill for a bit. After 30 minutes the resins came out and it was glorious :lol:

The resins are pretty dominant at this point and the cloying sweetness is just an overlap making it seem like its drizzled with melted butter and sprinkled with lightly browned sugar (toasted sugar..?)

Its not as resiny as i wouldve liked but that doesnt mean its any less awesome. This is a scent i had to come around to but i feel its worth waiting on if you dont like it now. You certainly will like it at a later date. :heart708:

I also realized i think im pretty horrible at explaining what resins are

• 6 months later...

Ooohh, this one is soooo dark and dangerous! I can smell the honey in this, and something else, it is reminding me of Shelly B's Naughty, Sweet & Dirty, the honey-civit combo, perhaps? Wow, LP Black is powerful, maybe a little too powerful for me!

Okay, call me liar-liar, pants-on-fire, I busted my sample out this weekend, and it's freakin' glorious!!! My sample has been aging for over a year, and now everything blends so perfectly together, I have worn it two days in a row, I cannot get enough! I don't know what made me reach for this, but I'm so glad I did. The honeycomb-civet-brown sugar that ganged up on me and mugged my nose last time have gone to rehab and charm school, wow, they are soooo smooth and classy blending with the perfect dark resins and drool-worthy dark, intoxicating, vanilla bean extract. I never thought anything with this combo of ingredients would ever smell great on me, but it does! Could be that it's a great time of month for me, I might try this two weeks to see if I feel the same way (fingers crossed!) If so, a FB will be gracing my collection.

Okay, call me liar-liar, pants-on-fire, I busted my sample out this weekend, and it's freakin' glorious!!! My sample has been aging for over a year, and now everything blends so perfectly together, I have worn it two days in a row, I cannot get enough! I don't know what made me reach for this, but I'm so glad I did. The honeycomb-civet-brown sugar that ganged up on me and mugged my nose last time have gone to rehab and charm school, wow, they are soooo smooth and classy blending with the perfect dark resins and drool-worthy dark, intoxicating, vanilla bean extract. I never thought anything with this combo of ingredients would ever smell great on me, but it does! Could be that it's a great time of month for me, I might try this two weeks to see if I feel the same way (fingers crossed!) If so, a FB will be gracing my collection.

I love that, lol

LP Black took awhile to lure me in too - but now I have two bottles of it!

AD-LPBlack-LovePotion2.jpg

VANILLA BEAN ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts, sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money.
HONEYCOMB ~ Enticing, seductive, use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover, happiness, fulfillment.
BROWN SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness, riches, lust inducing.
AMBER ~ Fertility, luck, riches, sensuality.

Ok, so I just had to post the new label in this thread, & I also had to post the ingredients because I still can't figure out what goes wrong on me with this variant. It must be the type of honey? Even after extensive aging, a salty celery note emerges on my skin.

Ok, so I just had to post the new label in this thread, & I also had to post the ingredients because I still can't figure out what goes wrong on me with this variant. It must be the type of honey? Even after extensive aging, a salty celery note emerges on my skin.

I cannot wear this at all, and it close to a crying shame because I long for more dark and resinous, black-hearted blends like this to mix with my sultry UNs. Unfortunately, this and other amber, honey, patchouli blends amp with the subtlety of a death metal band in a library on my skin. I was just going through my samples, trying to smell out the notes so I could make another purchase when a 1-2mm drop of LP: Black flicked out onto my thigh. I actually shrieked in distress, I kid you not. This scent screams on me unlike any of the LPs, and not in a pleasant way. I went and sprayed a blast of Big Easy to calm the scent--as well as me--until I can shower it off.

Would anyone have suggestions as to how to "tame" the darkness? I can't stand patchouli on a good day, so to have two trials of LP:B is honestly two too many for me. Think I saw someone suggest layering with super sweet or buttercream blends... Do you all think a candy floss or warm sugar could bring it down about eight notches? I'd hate to have to trade them because I'm a novice.

I cannot wear this at all, and it close to a crying shame because I long for more dark and resinous, black-hearted blends like this to mix with my sultry UNs. Unfortunately, this and other amber, honey, patchouli blends amp with the subtlety of a death metal band in a library on my skin. I was just going through my samples, trying to smell out the notes so I could make another purchase when a 1-2mm drop of LP: Black flicked out onto my thigh. I actually shrieked in distress, I kid you not. This scent screams on me unlike any of the LPs, and not in a pleasant way. I went and sprayed a blast of Big Easy to calm the scent--as well as me--until I can shower it off.

Would anyone have suggestions as to how to "tame" the darkness? I can't stand patchouli on a good day, so to have two trials of LP:B is honestly two too many for me. Think I saw someone suggest layering with super sweet or buttercream blends... Do you all think a candy floss or warm sugar could bring it down about eight notches? I'd hate to have to trade them because I'm a novice.

I have layered LP Black with a buttercream vanilla private edition called Nom, Nom, Nom (sold out) to tame the resins. But you could try one of the vanilla sugareds, or maybe sugared birthday cake.

Experiment with the blending. I have found all of Mara's scents to be very conducive to layering and blending.