Soul Cakes

Beccah

AD-SoulCakes_540x.jpg?v=1601865562

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:
OATS ~ Prosperity, abundance, sustenance, money spells.
EGG ~ A representation of the world or the womb. Fertility, nourishment, cycle of life, feminine energy.
MILK/BUTTER/CREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
(RAISIN) GRAPE ~ Fertility, increases mental prowess, money attracting.
MAPLE ~ Love attraction, longevity; money attractant.
NUTMEG ~ Strengthens clairvoyance, luck, money, health, fidelity.

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what I hoped it would be!  It's the yummiest warm comfort foodie scent, like freshly baked cookies straight out of the oven.  I thought it would remind me of Totem Goat, which I really enjoyed,  but it's most reminiscent to my nose of one my all time faves, Animal Crackers.  Interestingly it keeps making me think that it also must have cedar as a grounding note but something else is doing the work of adding a marvelous textured depth.  Delicious!  And while Animal Crackers was yummy vanilla this is gorgeous spice cookies.  Perfect cold weather sleep scent. 

Edited by Black Cat

Totally agree with Black Cat in terms of a comfort scent, to me this is in the tradition of things like Warm & Toasty and Z-Day - just warm sweet comforting goodness.  It's sort of a more basic version of something like Scotchies: an out-of-the-oven oatmeal-y foodie; but not too sweet or spicy, just right.

This is yummy goodies in a bottle!  I  only got a trial size because maple can go really wrong on my skin, but definitely not this time.  It has almost a buttersotch smell to it and is really light on the spices.  This is a perfect fall/winter perfume. 

This one didn’t really remind me of my Animal Crackers or my Scotchies. I didn’t really get any maple on this one. I did experience a new note — raisin. I wasn’t around for Totem Goat. 

I did find myself looking around for something to eat that tasted the way I smelled!  I was even searching for Soul Cake recipes.

Spicy, creamy yumness!!!  That milk/butter/cream note gets me every single time!

• 2 weeks later...

Soul Cakes is very sweet and baked goods like. I amp maple a lot, so on me it was pretty strong. I also get some of the spice. It's very thick, rich, and custardy. Very foody. With the maple, it's almost too sweet, like eating too much cake, but I think if maple isn't a problem for you, it would be fine. It reminds me a lot of walking past the bakery section in a supermarket. Not a regular bakery, but very specifically a supermarket bakery. No, I have no idea what the difference is, but I FEEL it. Lol. After about 30 minutes, it calms down a little and rides out the rest of its time as a lightly spiced maple. 

I’m finding these reviews funny in that all the other scents mentioned above, they’re all one that I thought I’d love and were recommended to me but weren’t quite right. I started a “tell me your favorite Buttercream LP’s thread” a few years ago, and there’s a solid amount of info on there, if you’re new to LP and like comfort foodies and gourmands do check it out.

Animal Crackers, Scotchies, Warm and Toasty were all suggested to me, and I eventually acquired trials of all of them. I even bought a full spray bottle of Z-Day when it came out and it ended up going to another forever home because it wasn’t quite right. Many of the suggestions on that thread were big hits, I’m just saying the comparisons to Soul Cakes referenced upthread weren’t winners for me. 

When I saw the oats and nutmeg listed for Soul Cakes, I figured it would be a hard pass for me. Sugared Oatmeal dried down just like dust on skin, while nutmeg can amp aggressively and overpower me. But now I have to say, this is why we have to get all the trials! Soul Cakes is my version of your perfect Scotchies/ Animal Crackers/ Warm and Toasty! Maybe it’s the raisin that’s tilting it in a different direction for me? I do love hot cooked raisins. 
Ordering it right now. 

• 1 month later...

I'm so out oft he loop here! This sounds amazing! There's another must have here on the list of smelly good things too :D❤️

• 2 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting threads, but I am trying out several of the scents for the first time, and this is seriously the most delicious thing I have ever smelled! I mean, give me chocolate chip cookies instead of oatmeal raisin for eating, sure - but the scent of warm, yummy, comforting oatmeal and spices and just that little bit of underlying sweetness. Makes me want a FB of this and everything that smells like it!

11 hours ago, WLWphero said:

Apologies for resurrecting threads, but I am trying out several of the scents for the first time, and this is seriously the most delicious thing I have ever smelled!

Please resurrect! It’s reviews like these that remind me to break out stuff I love!

14 hours ago, WLWphero said:

Apologies for resurrecting threads, but I am trying out several of the scents for the first time, and this is seriously the most delicious thing I have ever smelled! I mean, give me chocolate chip cookies instead of oatmeal raisin for eating, sure - but the scent of warm, yummy, comforting oatmeal and spices and just that little bit of underlying sweetness. Makes me want a FB of this and everything that smells like it!

1. Resurrecting threads is great. Everyone's body chemistry and tastes are so different,  that the more reviews, the better. Sometimes,  I'll specifically look for one person or another's review in a thread because I know their experiences will be most relevant to me. You could turn out to be that for someone!

2. As these scents age, they can change.  So later reviews can offer an interesting perspective.  A scent that may not have been someone's thing when it first came out may morph into something they love. Hearing how it's changed over time may lead to someone giving it a second chance. 

3. Even when things sell out, they sometimes end up on the trading post, so (in a combo of 1&2), more and current reviews can be really helpful.

I look forward to more reviews!

• 1 month later...

This is a very comforting scent. I'm going for everything that smells similar to Mother Goddess because of the comfort factor. I wore this to bed last night and passed out.

The only problem and it's a me problem is that sometimes oat notes can turn on my skin like with FC Oatmeal for example, it smelled like pee on me. However, that didn't happen with this one luckily.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:12 PM, Vika said:

This is a very comforting scent. I'm going for everything that smells similar to Mother Goddess because of the comfort factor. 

I highly recommend that you try some scented Savage Beast. It is lightly scented, but reminds me of Mother Goddess with both the comfort and the cream.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:32 AM, Eastwood22 said:

I highly recommend that you try some scented Savage Beast. It is lightly scented, but reminds me of Mother Goddess with both the comfort and the cream.

I still have yet to try that one and I read the great reviews on it! I'll check it out! Thank you!

2 hours ago, Vika said:

I still have yet to try that one and I read the great reviews on it! I'll check it out! Thank you!

It’s AMAZING. You’ll love it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I really liked this before dry down and thought there was a bit of an off note on me after dry down, but yesterday I wore this on my neck (so I could not smelled it) and my guy friend kept nuzzling my my neck and telling me I smell delicious. I told him that it was oatmeal and some of the soul cake notes, and he said I smell like a cookie. So I think this is a winner for me. 

• 1 year later...

Soul Cakes is really, really deliciousWhen wet, it gives me a slightly boozy vibe in the very beginning, which I think is due to the maple and raisin/grape. It could also be slightly from the nutmeg. Maple can sometimes be bitter to me, and this is very mapley 🍁🍁🍁, but I think the other notes like the milk/butter/cream, oats, egg, and vanilla give it enough body to give the impression of a dessert and not just smell like straight-up maple. 

I've been comparing this to Creme Cake a lot since Mara kindly suggested and gave me Creme Cake (2021). To me, they both give the impression of cakes with pleasantly-spiced frostings. It depends on the potency you'd prefer (Creme Cake is lighter and Soul Cakes is stronger) and which frosting you are feeling: whether you'd like something leaning more towards coconut cream and cinnamon (Creme Cake) or more maple and raisin (Soul Cakes). In terms of cake impressions, Soul Cakes, especially in its dry down, gives me more of a cake feel. Creme Cake dries down oily instead of creamy to me. 

This one works best by itself. It's so potent and whole that it's eaten what I've tried layering with it so far. I am interested in getting a full bottle of this, but what's stopping me, aside from it being unavailable (which is quite significant lol), is that sometimes after the dry down, it smells somewhat, sour? If you can still recall, was it similar for you, @Femmefatale

I'm not against sour, but it's somewhat strange to me after smelling its sweet, dessert deliciousness to get that kind of dry down. It's also somewhat interesting that Creme Cake, which actually starts out a bit sourer on me (in comparison to Soul Cakes) due to the coconut cream and its oiliness, dries more sweetly. 

I did not mention it in the Creme Cake thread, but when I received Flan de Coco 🍮, I started adding a patch of that whenever I tried Creme Cake and Soul Cakes. That one is the one I gravitated towards the most and it went way up on my list. I've yet to review that one, but I'm mentioning it here in case someone reading this enjoys Creme Cake and Soul Cakes and is looking for something similarly foodie and delicious.

I’ll have to revisit. I did like crème cake better. There was a note in soul that I was not sure if I liked, but that may have changed now. My guy likes both a lot, but I’ve never tried having him smell both at the same time. Bbm is another scent that I always think there is a note that doesn’t agree, and my guy loves it, so I figure it must just be me and wear with abandon.  I’ve been traveling and playing with a few new (as in have never tried before) scents from the sale that I brought on my trip.  

It could also be one of those things where the "off" notes, whether from the perfume itself or from the reaction with our own chemistry, make the fragrance work when smelled as a whole. We're here trying to detect the notes and form our impressions. 🧐 To someone else, it might just smell delicious. 😊