Odalisque 2021 w/ Blatant Invitation

AD-Odalisque_540x.jpg?v=1613355905

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
MILK/BUTTER/CREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.
HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.
SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness and riches. Lust inducing, wishes granted.
COCOA BUTTER ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.
ORANGE & BLOSSOMS ~ Strong ‘magnet’ to attract men; eternal love, marriage, fruitfulness, thoughtfulness, happiness, tribute.
SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very early on take of how the 2021 version wears on me. It only arrived yesterday, so, I’m expecting it may change after it has settled more from its transcontinental journey to my eager grabby hands. 

So far, no matter how much I will it to be so, it does not smell like Odalesque. It also isn’t that much like the previous iteration of Odalisque was when I tried it. However, it has a different phero added than Odalesque, and the 2017 brew contained Bang!.

I never had the opportunity to try versions that predated the 2017 release. 

Blatant Invitation is a great phero for me and it’s another reason I hope I really REALLY love this year’s version.

I think it’s going to work for me though, definitely full bottle worthy. Possibly multiple full bottles worthy.  

I’m having a hard time pinning down exactly what notes are coming through when it is first applied. Definitely sandalwood.  It is strong and long lasting (a good thing). More than twelve hours later, there is a true honey scent remaining— like as in smelling an open bottle of honey.  I don’t get much honey in the beginning though. 

4 hours ago, Eve said:

I’m having a hard time pinning down exactly what notes are coming through when it is first applied. Definitely sandalwood.  It is strong and long lasting (a good thing). More than twelve hours later, there is a true honey scent remaining— like as in smelling an open bottle of honey.  I don’t get much honey in the beginning though. 

This sums up my experience with this scent, too ! I couldn't describe it better. I've never tried the previous versions, only the recent variant, Odalesque, which I absolutely adore. This is nothing like that, & also nothing like what I expected, but that being said, I do really, really like this. When I roll it on, I get deep, rich honey & caramel ( I know that there is no caramel in it, but that's what I get from it for some reason ) but as soon as it dries down, it's that pretty, sexy honey / sandalwood that Eve described. 

I slathered this one maybe an hour ago, so I'll update if the long drydown is very different. I feel like with age, this will get much richer. I should also note that my bottle is virgin, because I have a few different pheros in mind for this & wanted more options as far as that goes, so mine could smell different because of that, I suppose ? 

Something about this drydown also really reminds me of the vanilla - honey LAM. So far, I'm liking this a lot, & cannot wait to see how it ages. 

I wanted to do a vertical review of this one too, but because it seems like this version of Odalisque is more of an intersection of the original with the Odalesque variant, I'm taking a bit of a different tack.

Original (2012): As I've noted in my discussions about this one, I feel like the original version comes closest to the scent which inspired it, which is Halo's Angelique.  It's a classic for good reason, and also the reason why it keeps getting requested for a rebrew year after year.

OdalesqueI get why this sold out so fast, because it is really compelling even as it is really a true variant - it's got a similar impression of richness but the almond, sandalwood and orange blossom really add another fascinating dimension to the original concept.  As I've said before, I think this one is much more perfume-y than any other iteration of the idea.

2021: This version does have a similarity with the original version, but the clementine is giving me those Odalesque vibes.  So that along with the honey gives it a really bright crystalline aura with the creaminess being more of an undertone rather than the primary impression.  It's much sweeter than Odalesque, and sweeter in a different way than the original.  It's really lovely, I think, and will probably become more creamy over time, which would be all to the good, IMO.

@greenappletartI don’t know about the amber, because the bottle of v 2017, I didn’t hold onto. I remember it just missed working for me. It may have just been that I was searching for something different at that time. 

After reading what @luna65 wrote, I dug out my bottle of Halo’s Angelique that was stowed away in safekeeping.  And yes, there are  a lot of similarities  between this year’s brew and Angelique. 

For me, I think of Odalesque as a completely different perfume. The almond presence makes it so special.

When I got out my box that had Halo’s Angelique tucked away inside, I  discovered I’d also hidden more bottles of Odalesque. Such a happy find💕 :heart0974:💕:Love09751:

Even though I’ve snagged a couple of backup bottles of 2021  Odalisque, I don’t think I’ll be trying to buy up every single bottle. I wanted some, but will happily share. 

8 hours ago, greenappletart said:

How does the amber compare to the 2017 version? Is it as strong?

IMO it isn't quite as weighty, no.

Day 1

Currently in Odalisque 2017 w/ BANG!, maybe 4 or 5 hours after application. I'm not sure if this adds to conversation, but the amber here does stand out and linger, and I believe that's why I love the 2017 variant so much, this amber. I will wear the 2012 and 2021 variants over the next few days, mainly for my own curiosity, but I'll come back and update if I have any A-HA! moments. 
Day 2

Tried to give the 2012 Odalisque with BI a run last night. It was a quick blast of chocolatey cocoa butter, and then I immediately fell asleep. This morning I slathered again. The cocoa butter/ chocolate blast mellowed quickly. It was all melded nicely, the honey and amber played well and then drifted away. Five hours later, it’s a soft, creamy cocoa butter gentle skin scent musk. Like how I should smell naturally, just 10x better. No amber or any kind of resin scent  lingering. It also reminds me of a Lina PE, but I’m not sure which one.

On one hand, I could say, “I wish it lasted longer,” except the perfume in the bottle is 9 years old and it’s 2/3 full, so I’d say it lasted a really long time! I believe I may have gotten it from Stacey in a trade, possibly by accident, honestly not entirely sure where it came from but I feel a need to re-apply now....

I’m hoping the new one smells this good.

@Potion Master I just noticed the label on the 2012 has the same lovely lady as the current label! Can’t get nothing by me.

Edited by Eastwood22

• 2 weeks later...

I have put odalisque 2017 on my right hand (fresh bottle, unopened) and 2021 on my left at the :20 mark.  Totally different scents.  I love the richness of 2017, deep amber, cocoa butter forward.  2021 could be its light and airy cousin.  Much more sandalwood forward, mid range cocoa butter, much less sweet.  I am sure this new version is day appropriate while the 2017 was the nighttime snack.  I do prefer the 2017 version, but the 2021 is very nice, soft and not a lot of throw.   Again, I could absolutely wear 2021 to work, while 2017 was too sweet, too gourmand to be taken seriously in a work environment.  I am so happy I have both.

I adore this version! I’m sure it’s no surprise that this one is my first BIG LOVE since my original PE Angelique. Or maybe it is, as I think I’ve been rather quiet about the rebrew variants never holding a candle to Angelique -for me personally. This is like Angelique and Odalisque OG had a beautiful baby. It’s actually aged into closer to Angelique over the past weeks. It’s a bit sweeter and heavier and weightier than the actual original Angelique which had an airier quality with the musk compared to the rebrews which have always been richer and smuttier. I have always enjoyed samples of Odalisque and Odalesque but this is my first FB since Angelique ( of which there were many)! Thank you Mara! This feels like a present for me. LOVE! SQUEE!