Mourning Glory

Beccah

AD-MourningGlory_540x.jpg?v=1633319185

Photograph Courtesy of Zoe of WIcked VIsIon Photography (c) 2021

Scent: Rich coffee incense.

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:

COFFEE ~ Focus, stamina, concentration, determination.

SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.

DRAGON’S BLOOD ~ Entices errant lovers to return, increases power of other ingredients. Love, protection, exorcism, potency.

POPPY (OPIUM) ~ Fertility, prosperity, love. Deepens feelings, instills calmness. Imagination, pleasure, wealth, success.

FRANKINCENSE ~ Purification, consecration, protection, exorcism. Associated with silver and the moon.

FRANGIPANI ~ Trust, confidence.

CHAMPACA FLOWER ~ Grief relief, ritual offering, spiritual awareness.

FENNEL ~ Healing, protection, purification, ecstasy, sexual potency.

• 2 weeks later...

everyone in my life was hearing about how excited I was for this scent (I've been craving this exact combination for a few months now?!) and oh buddy, the wait was worth it and more. I definitely need to let it rest, because it just arrived three hours ago, but I couldn't resist!!!

when wet, the coffee beans are pretty much all I get, it's like opening a fresh bag of beans or walking into a coffee shop. now that it has dried down, it is playing so nicely with the gorgeous blend of incense. I don't trust myself to pick out individual notes, but trust that it's delicious, and sweet in that resinous way. you can definitely smell "coffee AND incense" as their own elements and they really mesh beautifully! it's funny, I most associate the smell of coffee beans with the half asleep ritual of grinding myself a fresh cup, so while I wouldn't assume incense (soothing) and coffee (stimulating) would "suit" each other, it's like... the same feeling I get from having a morning ritual where I greet the day with slowness and peace before I go out into the world and get shit done. for this moment at least, I am zen and capable and have my shit together. hm!

definitely feels halloweeny in a graveyard trawler way. workplace appropriate for night shifts and spooky business. not sexual-sexy, but mysterious fortune teller tent sexy. considering a career jump...

truly couldn't be happier. I'm sure I'll be back for a followup too, I just had to gush right away :D

As a fan of Encens de Cafe I was looking forward to this one and it doesn't disappoint!  For me, I get the roasted beans and the incense melange concurrently.  And those two qualities work very well together, IMO.  The incense has a particular sweetness to it, which I think might be the champaca as well as the opium note, and that's part of the reason why I feel it's such a complementary mix.  It has a boho goth vibe which fits very well with my concept of "eldritch coffeehouse," lol.

@asterism that is really a nice review and I have nothing to add to that at all !  It's fascinating how similar my thoughts and experiences were to yours just now.

You slayed it and I look forward to many more reviews from you 🤩

Hey Luna(and anyone who has tried both). 🙂 So I liked Encens de Cafe too, but it was not quite turned up enough for me. Kind of a softer one. Would you say this is like "Encens de Cafe L'Intense" ? Ha. I'm real intrigued here, especially since this had opium, but I do want it to hit me a little harder than it's predecessor. Sorry to bug you but I gotta get this sale list finished before it turns into a pumpkin.

No worries, L!

I would say it's more intense overall, yeah.  Plus the roasted coffee bean note really compliments the incense mixture.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a full review, but my first impressions. (Had to wait until I had a full bottle securely in my possession. *wink* ) This is soooooo good. Soooooo good. It's like the olfactory equivalent of those old black and white pictures of Marlene Dietrich with the striking lighting. Also reminds me a bit of the huskiness in her singing voice. Mysteriously sexy. Dark and sultry. Great on any gender.

I get coffee and strong incense. What I really love is that this isn't a patchouli based incense. There's a background note that is almost floral. Not one of those high, sharp florals, and not a bright floral. More of an earthy, damp floral. Weaving in and supporting the slight sweetness others have mentioned. It's not really floral, so much as keeping the incense from being dry. It creates more of the impression that the incense is a resiny, sticky paste. The incense outlasts the coffee, but they are pretty equal in the beginning. 

• 3 weeks later...

I really have nothing to add other than to say that this combines two of my favorite things.  Coffee and incense and I LOVE IT. :Emoticons10311:

Edit:  Okay.  I was wrong.  I do have something to add.  I cannot stop smelling this.  I really hope I can get my bride to try this because I love how it smells on me and I keep huffing my application points but I think this would smell absolutely incredible on her.  As in me following her around trying to catch a whiff or her scent trail incredible.  On some level this reminds me of a local Renaissance Faire combined with a really good quality coffee being offered at that faire.  I cannot begin to describe the scent memories this triggers in me.  In the best possible way. 

Edited by Snoopyace