Soul Food

therapygirl

AD-SoulFood.jpg

Soul Food

An incensey blend of Sweet Sandalwood, Aged Parchment and Resins ~ a traditional ode to feed the Souls of one’s departed ancestors, who will grant their descendants favors if properly fed in the Afterworld.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
SANDALWOOD ~ Healing, spirituality, exorcism, love, exotic, sensual atmospheric, aphrodisiac.
BENZOIN ~ Prosperity, astral projection, purification.
CINNAMON ~ Psychic powers, passion, lust, healing, protection, energy, creativity.
MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing, powerful guard against evil.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts, sensual, spiritual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money.
FRANKINCENSE ~ Purification, consecration, protection, exorcism.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one is smoky, and resiny, and lays close to the skin. I ordered a full bottle of this too. I am not really a resiny girl, I tend to like light and bright. This is a stretch for me, and I love it. I love the magical intent, and am looking forward to it!

NICE!

I too LOVE the intention behind this potion....but, even the scent is FAB! On me, it starts out with that background of resins. They stick through the whole experience. Then I get sandalwood, then cinnamon, then benzoin, and then more of that sweet sandalwood. MMMMMM.....very smooth and dark.......

Geeez, maybe another full bottle necessary?

Edited by Dolly

NICE!

I too LOVE the intention behind this potion....but, even the scent is FAB! On me, it starts out with that background of resins. They stick through the whole experience. Then I get sandalwood, then cinnamon, then benzoin, and then more of that sweet sandalwood. MMMMMM.....very smooth and dark.......

UPDATE.....I have been wearing this on one side and Native Soil on the other side.....at one point, as they both started the dry down, they smelled pretty similar.....then differentiated....Native Soil is mostly cinnamon on me with the resins in the background. Soul Food dries down as mostly sweet sandalwood with the cinnamon in the back.....I need a full bottle of this one too!

NICE!

This is absolutely how it smells on me. I think scents smell the same on us and we seem to like the same one.

Soul Food smells more spiritual to me than Native Soil. It reminds me of a Medieval Candle I once had. This scent relaxes and calms me. I can't stop smelling myself. :)

This is absolutely how it smells on me. I think scents smell the same on us and we seem to like the same one.

I noticed that too......you must be my "scent twin"!! :)

Edited by Dolly

I noticed that too......you must be my "scent twin"!! :(

I think you're right!! Hello twin. :Hug_emoticon:

Maybe I'll just wait for you to try the various samples, give a review, and then select my fulls from that. :) Ah, then you'd have all the fun!

I think you're right!! Hello twin. :Hug_emoticon:

Maybe I'll just wait for you to try the various samples, give a review, and then select my fulls from that. :) Ah, then you'd have all the fun!

Yeah, you don't want to miss out on the funzies!!

Update on this one.....I wore it yesterday, and it stuck with me all day.....I could still smell that sweet heady sandalwood when I woke up this morning.....mmmmmm......

This is one I tried first as a sample, then got a full bottle of.

This one needs time to develop on skin to get it's full effect.(it is after all ,chock full o' basenotes) At first it seemed "nice but not OMG" but after a few minutes and for hours afterwards I would catch this scent wafting up into consciousness ,causing me to stop whatever I was doing to say (to myself) "Wow, what IS that?"

I don't know what kind of sandalwood was used.. I know the Indian stuff is very restricted now and hard to get, but whatever type of sandalwood or sandalwood accord was used to achieve the sandalwood note is GREAT! It lasts and lasts and blends beautifully with everything else in there.

I was undecided about using it for the intent its made for at first..I guess I wanted to test it out first before offering it in memory. But it does smell suitable for its intent and just plain good outside of that consideration so I decided to get a full bottle after all.

I like that the intent reflects aspects of my family's heritage. That makes it seem especially suitable for me. I will be traveling soon and part of that trip will involve going to pay respects to relatives passed on. This will be good for me to use for more private observances prior to my trip as well as during.

Soul Food really snuck up on me and turned out to be the real winner for me from the September sample set. It's subtle, smoky and sophisticated and probably other s-words. It's a nice grown-up scent, neither too resinous nor too spicy.

Lots of other s-words......I love it!! I love this scent.....I had to get a full bottle!

• 2 weeks later...

Soul Food

In vial: mmm, sweet benzoin, aged paper and resin.

On skin: oh, now I smell cinnamon…and vanilla? This is a lot sweeter than I expected. Like there’s vanilla in here. Maybe it’s the benzoin. Whatever it is, this is really beautiful. the frankincense and myrrh are fainter than expected, but the scents I get here are sweet benzoin and sandalwood with a touch of spicy cinnamon. There is a lovely smokiness from the incense notes but it is subtle. Something about this also smells like old paper that has absorbed the scent of incense and resins. It’s really gentle as a scent, serene and quiet…as incense goes, this is a ghostly incense, and a very nice one too. The scent stays soft, quiet and faint, and retains that vanilla-ish scent. it’s like a vanilla-scented parchment and sandalwood scent with spice, very pleasant. It seems that the ‘food’ bit in the name is showing up on my skin through that creamy, almost gourmand vanilla-cinnamon note. but there are wisps of frankincense and myrrh smoke too, and lots of sandalwood. This actually gets stronger with time, as the vanilla gives way to those wonderful incense notes, and this smells more and more like sandalwood and frankincense. Really beautiful. it reminds me a bit of Sugared Egyptian Sandalwood (a favourite) at drydown as well, very sandalwood-y, but not as sweet and ambery/caramelised as SES, this is drier and a bit dustier. I’m not sure if I want a bottle just yet-I prefer SES because it is a lot stronger on me than this scent, but Soul Food really is growing on me and I might soon give in to getting more!

The day I got this in the mail I tried it on and was "eh, it's ok". But now? After it has sat & melded? It's gorgeous. A dry, sweet sandalwood, slightly spicy, very dry. I love benzoin, and I think that's what the "not vanilla" smell is. Aged Paper? I don't smell aged paper per se (and I work in a library, so I know that smell), but something lets this scent smell..... not really light, but thin/ fragile. With sweet smoke drifting through.

I put touches of this on my chest & near my armpits before my workout, and the scent kept teasing me, asking me to sniff and linger. Definitely a winner!

• 1 month later...

I love this one and am so glad I got a bottle before it sold out (which it did with a quickness). It is dark, dry and crisp. I love the sandalwood and cinnamon.

The mental image that I get when I smell this is of falling into a high pile of raked dry leaves on a cool day (40-50ish) with the smell of smoke in the air from distant fireplace fires. Clear blue skys and the slightest breeze.

I find myself reaching for this one all the time. I love it. It is soft and "dry", rounded and quiet. I also use it to layer with other sharper scents to give them that sort of....spiritually softened...feel.

Unfortunately my reviews are useless since scents evidently are geomatric shapes to me...heh.

I find myself reaching for this one all the time. I love it. It is soft and "dry", rounded and quiet. I also use it to layer with other sharper scents to give them that sort of....spiritually softened...feel.

Unfortunately my reviews are useless since scents evidently are geomatric shapes to me...heh.

Aw, don't say that...I find it fascinating to have someone describe a scent synesthetically... (sp?) Do they have colors as well? (Fwiw, I was convinced numbers had "gender" when I first learned how to draw them) :D

Aw, don't say that...I find it fascinating to have someone describe a scent synesthetically... (sp?) Do they have colors as well? (Fwiw, I was convinced numbers had "gender" when I first learned how to draw them) :blink:

I see colors with scent......always have, as a matter of fact......

Scents are shapes or textures to me...yes, the shapes touch me...collide with me. Or sometimes it is a glimpse of a scene - something seen from the corner of the eye. Mothmen.

Unfortunately today the "perfume" I am wearing (a phero mix I am using up from another source) makes me flash on an all-night laundromat <sigh>.

• 3 months later...

I'm so glad got the chance to buy a bottle, and now I'm even gladder that I purchased a back up! I adore sandalwood, and this is such a wonderful, dry sandalwood scent! It does have a bit of a masculine bent to it, but I'm looking forward to some fun combos, like with LP Red, Amber Enchantment and maybe even LP Pink.

This is a really nice scent...I can see it being gorgeous on someone who likes the darker scents which I normally do...I'm just a bit finnicky about sandalwood.

I love the resins with benzoin and slight vanilla notes but after dry down the prominent notes I get are sandalwood and an almost smokey parchment-like scent which unfortunately doesn't work for me :rockon: This bottle will have to find a new loving home on the trading post I think.

• 2 months later...

I'm not quite sure how I managed to order a bottle of Soul Food with my order last week-- I thought it had been sold out forever. I see it in the shop again, so maybe there was a rebrew I missed out on-- in any case, if you've been waiting for a bottle, take a look and see if you can grab one!

I'm not quite sure how I managed to order a bottle of Soul Food with my order last week-- I thought it had been sold out forever. I see it in the shop again, so maybe there was a rebrew I missed out on-- in any case, if you've been waiting for a bottle, take a look and see if you can grab one!

Yeah, I think they did a "limited" rebrew of this one....it is a great scent....

• 8 years later...

You know, my trial vial of the 2015 version has disappeared somewhere in the void of my room but I have a sniffie of the original and now I finally understand why this was so beloved. It's such a great melding of spicy and sweet with smooth resins. The old school LPMP resin-based scents were THE BEST, y'all!

You know, my trial vial of the 2015 version has disappeared somewhere in the void of my room but I have a sniffie of the original and now I finally understand why this was so beloved. It's such a great melding of spicy and sweet with smooth resins. The old school LPMP resin-based scents were THE BEST, y'all!

I agree wholeheartedly on that! I still adore my stash of Hathor.....dark but smooth at the same time!

As a matter of fact, I think that is what I will wear today.....

Edited by Dolly