Gretel's Sugared Candy Corn and Taffy

mountainwitch

Authentic smelling waxy candy corn and chewy taffy - my teeth hurt just thinking about it. Death by sweetness!

Has anyone tried this yet? I love candy corn, and I'm always looking for candy-corn scents, but I'm wondering about the taffy. Any advice?

I'll make some mini samps of this one to send around this month.

Head's up: It's one of those that must be shaken, as it has some natural ingredients that don't blend permanently.

Oh, fantastic . . . I just put in an order for a trial pack yesterday, so, um . . . Mememememe! :A002:

Y'all are fabulous. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This one has to be shaken well. Don't judge it by the smell in the vial. I almost passed it by. I didn't like it at all. But, I told myself to do a small test just to make sure. I have found some gems that way. This one does have a waxy candy corn and taffy smell to it. It is not overly sweet, and there is definately a salty note to the taffy. It is very different. I almost smell cinnamon, but i don't think that is what it is. Nicely done.

This one has to be shaken well. Don't judge it by the smell in the vial. I almost passed it by. I didn't like it at all. But, I told myself to do a small test just to make sure. I have found some gems that way. This one does have a waxy candy corn and taffy smell to it. It is not overly sweet, and there is definately a salty note to the taffy. It is very different. I almost smell cinnamon, but i don't think that is what it is. Nicely done.

Heh, I wasn't going to try this one...but wth, I'll give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...

I really did receive my mini-sample of Gretel's. The oil is a cloudy one, which we'd already been warned about, but I didn't notice sediment or anything like that. I shook as instructed, opened it up, and hooooboyCANDY! At first I was thinking this was too fruity to really fit with what I wanted, which was more of a candy-corn than a taffy scent, but as it dried that shrill taffy note settled down. What was left seemed very familiar, very autumn-candy . . . And then it hit me. After it aged a bit, this one reminded me of Autumn Equinox, the 2007 vintage.

My Autumn Equinox 2007 is long gone, so I can't compare it directly. Gretel's is sweeter and brighter, without some of the dark "grounding" notes I remember from Equinox, but it still provided a very pleasant sense of recognition.

Am I totally off-base here? Did anybody else notice a similarity?

I really did receive my mini-sample of Gretel's. The oil is a cloudy one, which we'd already been warned about, but I didn't notice sediment or anything like that. I shook as instructed, opened it up, and hooooboyCANDY! At first I was thinking this was too fruity to really fit with what I wanted, which was more of a candy-corn than a taffy scent, but as it dried that shrill taffy note settled down. What was left seemed very familiar, very autumn-candy . . . And then it hit me. After it aged a bit, this one reminded me of Autumn Equinox, the 2007 vintage.

My Autumn Equinox 2007 is long gone, so I can't compare it directly. Gretel's is sweeter and brighter, without some of the dark "grounding" notes I remember from Equinox, but it still provided a very pleasant sense of recognition.

Am I totally off-base here? Did anybody else notice a similarity?

I am going to have to try the two side by side as I have quite a few autumnal equinox 2007 kicking around...I'll keep you posted :blush:

I am not getting any similarity. LP AE 07 is much more creamy

I am noting that "cinnamon" that SB was noting. It reminds me of a cinnamon that you get in candy...

EDIT:Ok upon further LP AE dry down, I am noting some similarity. The "cinnamonnie" note is what is similar...hmmm...

Edited by Curiouschic

I am not getting any similarity. LP AE 07 is much more creamy

I am noting that "cinnamon" that SB was noting. It reminds me of a cinnamon that you get in candy...

EDIT:Ok upon further LP AE dry down, I am noting some similarity. The "cinnamonnie" note is what is similar...hmmm...

Yeah, it's just a note or two. (I only tried 07 when it was brand new--I wore out my trial vial by November!)

Thanks very much for letting me know I'm not losing my mind. :D

As for me, I don't smell a similarity between this and Autumnal Equinox '07.

This smells like what it's supposed to, as far as I can tell, but one of the ingredients smells metallic to me, and it doesn't change from the wet stage to the drydown, sadly.

I thought this one was going to be waaaaaay too sweet and foody for me and when i saw it in the sample vial, all cloudy and sugary looking, i was certain of it.

But I gave it a good shake and tried it anyway.

Not nearly as sweet as I thought...at least not overpoweringly so.

It's true to what it's meant to be with the waxy scent and all, but didn't make me want to gnaw on my skin or anything.

All in all, a nice, realistic candy corn and taffy scent.

I thought this one was going to be waaaaaay too sweet and foody for me and when i saw it in the sample vial, all cloudy and sugary looking, i was certain of it.

But I gave it a good shake and tried it anyway.

Not nearly as sweet as I thought...at least not overpoweringly so.

It's true to what it's meant to be with the waxy scent and all, but didn't make me want to gnaw on my skin or anything.

All in all, a nice, realistic candy corn and taffy scent.

Ditto - i had the exact same reaction when i tried this

• 1 month later...

Tried a sample of this too. Really interesting.Doesn't smell really carmely though as far as candy corn goes.It's actually a fresh candy scent with a hint of orange but not extremely orangey. So hard to explain, but I will say that the freshness of it does remind me a bit of a fresh fall breeze. Very carefree scent. Hmm, the drydown does seem to have a little spice of some sort to it.

p.s

The natural ingredients sure don't taste good, I tried haha (very soapy)

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

Isn't it crazy the way it looks in the vial after you shake it up? Reminds me of melted popcorn butter all the way. Nothing buttery here, though, just a fruity, sticky scent (can a scent be sticky? I think so...). I catch apples somewhere in here. Pretty realistic, as others have said, and I do get more candy corn sensation than taffy, but I can sense a taffy-ness to it. It is just perfumey enough to call out as such.

And now, for your collective amusement, Lewis Black's candy corn rant:

"The worst thing about Halloween is, of course, candy corn. It's unbelievable to me. Candy corn is the only candy in the history of America that's never been advertised. And there's a reason. All of the candy corn that was ever made was made in 1911. And so, since nobody eats that stuff, every year there's a ton of it left over. And the candy corn company sends the guys to the villages and they collect out of the dumpsters all the candy corn we've thrown away. They wash it!! They wash it!

I'll never forget the first time my mother gave me candy corn. She said, "Here - Lewis, this is candy corn. It's corn that tastes like candy." [squeals] This tastes like crap! And every year since then, Halloween has returned and I, like an Alzheimer's patient, find myself in the room, and the room has a big table in it, and on the table is a bowl of candy corn. And I look at it as if I've never seen it before. "Candy corn," I think. "Corn that tastes like candy. I can't wait." Son of a bitch!!!"

Edited by Nightlife

haha, that's funny :D hey... do you think they really wash it?

I hope so, since they're fishing it out of the dumpsters and all. But then again...!

Edited by Nightlife

• 7 months later...
Isn't it crazy the way it looks in the vial after you shake it up? Reminds me of melted popcorn butter all the way.

Ha, it totally does! But it does smell delish, though--not cloying, not at all, and I love the salty hint to the taffy; it kind of reminds me of those pastel taffy candies I got as a kid on Easter that would always stick to my teeth and need like, a half hour of brushing to get out. At least with the perfume verison, there's no threat of the dentist anywhere in sight. :love: