Any Bio-identical hormone users?

I had an interesting question from a client of mine today. She's wondering how using pheros/cops might be different for her since she uses bio-identical hormones? She is over 50 and using the bio-identicals for hormone replacement.

Have any of you had any experiences you could share?

Thank you!!

I have been told by Dr Stone, and also by others in the industry, that the actual amount of pheromones/hormones/cortisones, etc., absorbed into the bloodstream when wearing these types of products is so negligible, it's considered practically non-existent. So, wearing them shouldn't effect her from a medical standpoint. I realize that this isn't the question you asked, but it was something that mightily concerned me early on, so I'd thought I'd mention it.

Thank you so much Mara!! It was really interesting the way the conversation started - she was talking about frequency of "activities" with her man, and one thing led to another. I think she'll be checking out the website!! I gave her a card. Although I don't know if I will choose HRT (either bio-identical or otherwise) I'm very interested in keeping my "sexiness" as young as possible!!

Hey Cinderfallen,

HRT always has it's up sides and down sides. Each person must decide for themselves if the proffered advantages outweigh the possible risks in their particular case. It's not possible to make a blanket judgement when each of us has different medical strengths and weaknesses, different family histories, different personal chemistry, etc. It's not a decision anyone takes lightly, but thanks for showing your concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if that sounded like a judgement, which I didn't intend it to be. I just thought I remembered reading an article that said something like that and was fishing for more information from more those more knowledgable of their own health and circumstance, because from what I remember, the information wasn't offering an alternative view. I was trying to sound tentative because I didn't want to be demanding any information based on personal choice. =)

Edited by cinderfallen

Sorry if that sounded like a judgement, which I didn't intend it to be. I just thought I remembered reading an article that said something like that and was fishing for more information from more those more knowledgable of their own health and circumstance, because from what I remember, the information wasn't offering an alternative view. I was trying to sound tentative because I didn't want to be demanding any information based on personal choice. =)

Well, my mother is a breast cancer survivor of about 15 years. They determined that the cancer WAS caused by excess estrogen (she had taken birth control for YEARS, and then was put on HRT during menopause). When they removed the breast and tested the tumor, they said it was highly positive for estrogen.

My Gyn explained to me that cancer is not necessarily hereditary, but the gene that causes you to be susceptible to estrogen-caused cancer supposedly are. So, when I reached a certain age, they wanted me to discontinue using even the birth control. Now that the peri-men symptoms started, they do NOT want me to start taking bio-identical hormone supplements. BUT, I needed some relief, so I started doing some research.

Some doctors have found that the issue is not so much that all of your hormones are dropping but that your other hormones in relation to estrogen drop, causing a condition called "estrogen dominance". This condition causes hot flashes, weight gain (or inability to lose), water retention, sleeping problems, etc etc etc. The excess estrogen can build up to a point where it does cause cancer, most normally of the breast. In women, progesterone is normally only produced during ovulation, so estrogen dominance really becomes an issue as they get older (even though it HAS happened, you don't find very many 20-30 year olds with breast cancer).

I recently started using natural progesterone cream and a supplement called DIM, which helps your body to metabolize estrogen and balance your hormones. I have been taking the two in conjunction for about a month, and it has seemed to make a difference in the symptoms I was having (I have stopped retaining water, the weight is dropping, and my hot flashes have stopped). The doctor says that these two supplements have not been known to cause any serious side effects, so I'm happy.

If you decide to take bio-identicals, just make sure that the doc considers a supplement with BOTH estrogen and progesterone.....the old supplements were straight estrogen, and caused cancer in a lot of women.

As far as the original question, asked by Miss Goddess, I haven't noticed the use of these supplements having any effect on my phero usage or effects.

Edited by Dolly

Thanks so much, Dolly! Your last sentence especially was just what I needed!! I will be seeing my client in the next week or so, so I'm happy to have an anecdotal answer for her. Now, could you give me a little more info on your supplement? Are these available at someplace like Whole Foods? Thanks in advance!!

Thanks so much, Dolly! Your last sentence especially was just what I needed!! I will be seeing my client in the next week or so, so I'm happy to have an anecdotal answer for her. Now, could you give me a little more info on your supplement? Are these available at someplace like Whole Foods? Thanks in advance!!

I bought mine online at vitacost.com .....the actual name of the estrogen metabolism formula is diindolylmethane (I think that is how you spell it), but it is just referred to as DIM. The progesterone cream is natural [progesterone, so it is not synthetically created. It is apparently made from soy. I am really enjoying the benefits of the two taken in conjunction. You should check out vitacost, the prices are really good there.....