Astrinde's Kitty Petal

Custom sugared scent: tuberose, civit, and white sugar.

In the bottle, this smells like a soft syrup of tuberose. I almost want to drip a few drops of it on top of a rice pudding! I just applied some to my wrist, and it keeps that charming flower-water quality on the skin, with the civit adding a slightly powdery muskiness. This is really pretty and hugs my skin very close, so I don't have to worry about radiating tuberose to the world. It's neither tropical nor feral, but more sophisticated and charming than either scent would be alone. I like it and am glad that I ordered it!

Coool! Yeah, tuberose can be...um...Not Shy quite often in commercial fragrances. How nice to have a version when you want to keep the broadcast local, so to speak! One of the many reasons I love LP's, Mara and Danna have done wonders with white florals and have made me a lover of Gardenia!

Wear the Kittehflower in good health! :666:

Thank you for the well-wishes; however, I need to edit my post above. After about an hour of wear, the entire scent turns very powdery, almost rubbery, on my skin. :/ I think I'll keep a little for a scent locket but try to trade the bottle. This is a perpetual problem with my skin chemistry, turning tuberose scents to powder, so though disappointed, I'm not entirely surprised that it happened. However, I think anyone whose skin likes the LP tuberose and civit notes will die of delight with this scent. :018A1D~14:

• 1 month later...

OK I picked up a bottle of this in the sale. I am a brave girl and tuberose cannot scare me.

I find this utterly lovely! The civet (a fave of mine) gives it just a hint of naughty, and the tuberose is...well, let's face it, you can't tiptoe around tuberose. It's always going to be thicker than syrup. But the slight sugar actually lightens it, and the civet adds a sexy feel.

DH absolutely adored this one and declared it to be "tasty". I actually enjoy wearing it to bed as it is an enveloping feel for me.

I'm so sorry it didn't work for you, Astrinde. Perhaps you can use a scent locket?

• 1 month later...

I eyed my sniffee with extreme trepidation for quite some time.

An ancedote:

I always thought my mother (whom I do love though she likes to say it's difficult to tell sometimes) had terrible taste in perfume. She went through an Opium period in the late 80s which gave me some hope (because I do love the idea of florientals and it's one I wore back then) but mostly she loves loud brash things like Giorgio and Paloma Picasso and - horror of horrors - Charlie and Jean Nate.

My grandmother, on the other hand...I loved her perfumes and whenever I spent time with her I would wear little dabs of them: Chanel No. 5, Tweed, White Gardenia...and she had a tuberose scent as well. I can't recall what it was, but tuberose always recalls my Gram to me, but for me it's the scent of someone I am not: I am mutable and sometimes vague, and tuberose is enduring and fixed. A scent for a woman whose style transcends all notions of era and vogue. And my Gram was the fortunate loving constant in my life.

So the slightest whiff of this gave me a definite Proustian moment of standing in the dressing room of my Gram's apartment on Catalina Ave. in the Wilshire District of Los Angeles (you could see Griffith Observatory in the Hills from the top floor fire escape), looking at myself in the mirror above the built-in dresser and obsessively sniffing her bottles of perfume.

The floral aspect is so heady at first, like being smothered by Auntie Mame (or so I imagine), then the civit comes along and smoothes things out a bit, a definite powdery aspect does take hold. If you want a classic womanly aura fragrance then this is it. One shouldn't fear tuberose, but you do have to be a certain kind of woman to wear it.

AUNTIE MAME!!!!

Good lord...I love this one, so just call me Mame, dahlink.

I have the image of my grandmother's dark mahogany furniture in her cool, mysterious bedroom when I smell Flapper on me. All the little bottles on the polished silver tray, set upon the deep red dressertop.

That's a lovely image, I can see it perfectly. :(

I forgot to mention how well this lasts, it clings for hours upon hours.

Edited by luna65

I feel the same way about wearing tuberose, Luna...there's this lovely lady at work who evinces those qualities - her look is timeless, and she always looks "just so" from her hair to her shoes...something I could not possibly aspire to in this lifetime. I can spot her from waay down the hallway and if I've missed her arrival, I can smell the wake of White Shoulders in her trail. It's perfect on her.

• 9 months later...

"Sigh" I got a sniffee of this in trade & my skin just doesn't like tuberose on me. I amp it & it smells cloyingly sweet almost of decay...

Bad tuberose, damn skin!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh my..this is fantastic. I didn't know it was tuberose just from sniffing, I was thinking, I know this, what is it, combined with the civet I was thinking is this a really beautiful take on chrysanthemum, one i can actually, well, like? i can well see how this might not be to everyone's taste, but I love the classical feel of it,of when perfumes were allowed to contain anything (not that I agree with the chopping up of animal parts for perfume, but before there were chemical regulatory people involved in bloody well everything), it's long gloves and satin and smoking cigarettes in public.

It screams old school glamour with a little push me down on the carpet and take me from behind in there too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is... interesting! I don't know whether to love it or hate it! I smelt it and *felt* it in my throat. So weird, like breathing in something minty. I put my hand over to my cat to pet it, and she stopped purring and pulled a face at me! I thought she was going to attack me or something! Then I read that it has civet in it... LOL I guess that sends weird messages to some cats...

Ugh... a couple of minutes later and the back of my throat feels gross from this. I don't know what it is but something here isn't agreeing with me! When I don't huff it right in I like it a lot better!

This is a strong floral scent. On me, the tuberose is very prominent and the civet is adding its strong note to the blend. Though I'm a floral scent lover, this is a bit too strong for me, at least for day wear. May be it's the civet which makes this scent appear rather heavy on my skin. I've used it only once because I want to wait and see how it would age, then I'll give it another try.

I got this as a gift from a kind person, and admit the notes did not interest me - I thought tuberose was a kind of rose, and I thought I don't love civet except in very specific cases (eg cat's eye) AND I much prefer foodys to florals generally. WELL.

Wet this is a blast of honeysuckle but MUCH BIGGER. This fairly BOOMS. The civet is also VERY there, very HEAR ME ROAR. It's ultra elegant, femme, classic, very House of Dior, luxurious clothes and furnishings, leisure and piles and piles of money. A phero-like rocket boost of absolute self-assurance, unabashed in-your-face womanliness and worldliness that says YOU ARE MINE, WORLD, YOU ARE UNDER MY HEEL. Goddamn. It's a STUNNER, there's no other word.

ETA forgot to mention....maybe it's the confidence but this is horny-making as all get-out. /tmi

ETA as it dries down the hugeness calms way down too and does start to wear much closer. It's barely there now and though it seems implausible with these notes, it almost feels like skin-natural, like oh hey this is just what I was born smelling like, no big deal. I think I need a bottle of this. dammit

Edited by tyvey