Skull Orchard

May

There doesn't *seem* to be a review of this... so here we go - if it is elsewhere, please forgive the duplication! :)

First off, as soon as I applied it I thought "vinegar!" If you have a similiar reaction, fear not, it may be that - like me - you are used to handling apple cider vinegar (which is fantastic applied to bruising for the home remedists/ herbalists out there) but can make you think of vinegar as soon as you smell apples.

Within seconds I get an edge of sweet rain-dampened earth and then a wonderously warm scent of autumn-evening-saturated apples and cider presses.

To me this is the scent of a Kentish cider orchard on an evening in late autumn. It's apples - but not the heat of summer - ratjher the cooling of the year and sunset on an orchard.

Very pretty, as warming to the heart and soul as a hot-toddy in winter and faintly nostalgic.

May

Edited by May

• 1 month later...
There doesn't *seem* to be a review of this... so here we go - if it is elsewhere, please forgive the duplication! :)

First off, as soon as I applied it I thought "vinegar!" If you have a similiar reaction, fear not, it may be that - like me - you are used to handling apple cider vinegar (which is fantastic applied to bruising for the home remedists/ herbalists out there) but can make you think of vinegar as soon as you smell apples.

Within seconds I get an edge of sweet rain-dampened earth and then a wonderously warm scent of autumn-evening-saturated apples and cider presses.

To me this is the scent of a Kentish cider orchard on an evening in late autumn. It's apples - but not the heat of summer - ratjher the cooling of the year and sunset on an orchard.

Very pretty, as warming to the heart and soul as a hot-toddy in winter and faintly nostalgic.

May

I agree.....I got the cider note on first whiff too. Upon drydown though, this is quite nice.....warm and smooth, with just the faintest hint of spice.....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is soft hot apple cider, with a hint of dark sweetness (yeah caramel like someone mentioned earlier) it has a great throw - i only put on half a swipe on one hand and it smells wonderful - glad i got a bottle in a trade/sale

• 11 months later...

This is like delicious honeyed hard cider--in some cases apple notes go too sweet on me when mixed with honey, but the honey is deep and sticky enough and the spices are in perfect proportion to counter any possibility of that. As it dried down I was just going yesssss....anyway, there's also something chilly here, something evocative of the "skull orchard" image in the description that is in direct contrast to the warmth of the whole honeyed-mulled-cider concoction and really adds interest to everything. It makes me think of sitting by a frosty window on a freezing and windy winter day sipping that hot honeyed cider...mmmmmmmmmm....