Santa Carla 2009

sultry brunette

AD-SantaCarla09.jpg

Santa Carla 2009

Welcome to Santa Carla 2009, this year’s tribute to all things hot, yummy, dark and perhaps...deadly. A sweet layer of fresh funnel cake sweetened with pumpkin pie filling, a touch of dark berry, a bit of powdered sugar, with just a touch of incense and the sea in the air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
PUMPKIN ~ Fertility, plenty, abundance, prosperity, male sexual stimulant.
DARK BERRY ~ Attraction, draws fortunate circumstances in all areas of your life.
POWDERED SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness, riches, lust inducing.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, insatiability.
SPICES ~ Lust, love, invigoration.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was a little skeptical of this one, since I was not a huge fan of the last version of Santa Carla. But, if I have learned anything over the last year as an LP customer, it is that the remakes are never the same as the original. So, I broke down and tried this anyways… And I am glad that I did. When I smelled it in the vial, I was still skeptical. I put it on my skin and let it sit for a minute or two before I sniffed it and was pleasantly surprised. The strong smoky leather note that I disliked in the original is much softer and less noticeable in this one. Still there, but not a predominant note on me. This one is a soft, dirty scent. It is the defiant side of your nature, that love of adrenaline and danger that lies just beneath the surface. It is the confidence you didn’t know you had. It is the coy smile that slips across your face when you feel like doing something a little naughty. It is the spark of life in your eyes as you tip over that first unseen drop on your favorite roller coaster. With this one I had to describe the feelings it evoked rather than the notes. Those feelings capture how this smells to me… fantastic, daring and sexy – but not overtly. It is hovering beneath the surface just waiting for you to let it come out and play.

Lovely discription SB!

This isn't for me. At the first sniff, I smell butter. Lovely sweet butter I must say. Within seconds it changes to buttered popcorn. Interesting. Now I smell like buttered popcorn with flowers in it. Anyone ever ordered something from Lush UK? They pack their products in popcorn (because it's better for the environment then plastics). This popcorn always smells of their products. That's what I'm getting from this. It's too heavy for me :OU1D43~112:

Wow, this is so different from the original. I like the idea of variants taking a completely different interpretation at times...like when a song gets remade with a completely different arrangement. It's a risk, but sometimes an entirely rewarding one, for both the musician and the listener.

The original, is, for me, in brief: leather, cotton candy and vaguely flowery sea air. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

On The Boardwalk starts out with that definite nose-rush of junk food: buttery sweet funnel cake with lots of yummy toppings. But like walking through the boardwalk/fun zone area and then on to other things the ambience drifts away. I was picturing in my mind doing just that, walking to where the boardwalk ends and then there is the beach...and the caves beyond. The noise dies down and all you can hear is the ocean. What I'm left with is a hint of other, sensing there is a presence out there in the darkness, watching me.

So there is a similarity in the sense of the fragrance conjuring a place and time, but those scenes are different for me, though equally evocative.

Edited by luna65

I'm looking forward to knowing all the notes at some point, because the drydown is really nice. If I had to go solely on my olfactory abilities I'd say it's like a sugared sandalwood kind of thing. I even wrote it that way in my scent journal, heh, with multiple question marks.

Edited by luna65

Wow, this is so different from the original. I like the idea of variants taking a completely different interpretation at times...like when a song gets remade with a completely different arrangement. It's a risk, but sometimes an entirely rewarding one, for both the musician and the listener.

The original, is, for me, in brief: leather, cotton candy and vaguely flowery sea air. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

On The Boardwalk starts out with that definite nose-rush of junk food: buttery sweet funnel cake with lots of yummy toppings. But like walking through the boardwalk/fun zone area and then on to other things the ambience drifts away. I was picturing in my mind doing just that, walking to where the boardwalk ends and then there is the beach...and the caves beyond. The noise dies down and all you can hear is the ocean. What I'm left with is a hint of other, sensing there is a presence out there in the darkness, watching me.

So there is a similarity in the sense of the fragrance conjuring a place and time, but those scenes are different for me, though equally evocative.

idk?...these two have a very similar scent yet so very different as well. I get more of the leather scent and the cotton candy with the first one., I get some fruit as well. but IMO this one is waaaaay more foody.

this one is nice, but prolly not a full bottle for me...OTOH... I love the first one and wish there were more of it around.

be blessed -djac

I'm with djac here...I adored the sticky cotton candy smeared on tight black leather pants of the original...

This one goes on heavily pumpkin funnel cake, and stays fairly foody for a good while. Eventually I do get the aromatic drydown. I'm trying to decide whether I love it or not. Maybe I just need time to let go of my preconceptions of Santa Carla.

Having no preconceived notions of this fragrance. I like it, I haven't had the chance to test it solo yet. It reminds a little bit of popcorn in the bottle.

Having had the chance to test, its on my post. I can totally sense the 'other', that Luna spoke of. I seriously felt something when I smelled this,lol.

Well the TT was averse to this one. Which is odd, he's never averse to anything. So I gifted my samples to Sugar & the newest member of our family.

I just wanna say real quick-I'm really working on the right words to review this. I LOVE it, and after Sultry and Luna's bang up jobs-it's hard to add to that, but I'm working on it, Danna.

I'm actually gonna write this one out first, as its a memory scent to me as well as something else. Thats why its taking so long to reveiw it. I need to find the right words!

• 1 month later...

Absolutely LOVE this: like particularly autumnal junk food! The pumpkin-pie-filling-filled (whew!) funnel cakes are definitely coming out the strongest on me, and I also get something hazy and sexy in the background, which is probably the incense. I like the dose of mystery the hint of incense gives all the foody goodness. Yummmm :P

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

What the hell is in this thing???? Is this like an undercover attractor??? I wore this yesterday to Ventura for a scavenger hunt with my ladies in waiting, I thought it would be cute to wear this since we were going to be near the pier.. I wore G2 to bond with the bitches.. I so was not looking for attention, not that I ever am really, I wanted to enhance my experience with my family.

So there I was running up a million flight of stairs looking for a clue - passed a film crew and craft services table dashing like a lunatic.. Lady Suzy was at the top with my niece, because she has 20 mile long stems, and someone is tailgating my rumproast.

I don't know if he was part of the film crew or wtf, he says.. ' You look pretty winded , you okay? ' . My crossbody bag was cutting my bosoms in two and I was heaving like a hooker after a marathon session behind the back alley at church on Easter Sunday.

I thought I was going to die from breathing. I was in win the competition mode so I ignored him and did a half smile, because I just could not even answer ~ we were under the gun and had to grab a clue to get the bonus for the game. I continued to gallop and bounce up the stairs, at the top another beach dude asks me.. oh are you looking for something? What are you looking for? I sputtered out.. ' a bell.. ' are you here to give us the bell to the last clue? " Oh no I'm not.". I said I was doing a scavenger hunt, as I'm sure Lady Suzy had just informed him because she ran past me searching for the bell master.. he started looking around like he was going to find the bell then I thanked him and just sprinted down the stairs leaving funnel cake scent behind me.

I saw my sister chopping down a tree with her fingers, wrestling with something so I figured she found the bell.. all the way down she kept teasing me about being winded from my bursting bosoms.

THEN- when were at Ventura City Hall under some stairs taking a breather, another gentleman crosses the street and walks up and asks.. What are you girls doing? - I just sat there wondering how am I going to protect these girls if he pulls out a knife?

He was gardening with a group of people across the street and ran over to see if we needed help. He was chewing on a carrot he had just pulled out of the ground.. omg I wanted to die. This was totally unreal. I mean the carrot still had it's long green tail..We asked him where Perry Mason's house was.. and he said he didn't know. He just stood there lollll. I was kind of just standing there staring at the carrot and his hands waiting for him to pull out a weapon, and i was trying to hint at my sis in law to shut her trap and stop trying to climb into his lap.. finally he left with his carrot and winked.

THEN- when I got home sweaty and salty from the sea air I was accosted with another big carrot. That was fun;)

I did think it was cool that I was on Santa Carla st. wearing Santa Carla, even though this was probably for the city, I thought it was pretty special.

I also noticed that everyone was pretty helpful and smiling at us, even the people who ran the thing gave us hints as to where some of the clues where.

I really do think the ingredients in this blend was making everyone goo goo ga ga, because when I got home,6 hours after I had applied G2 with this - I know the G2 was gone but I could still smell Santa Carla, and I applied G2 at 8am.. all this activity with the carrot and film crew happened at about one pm, well after G2 had evaporated or so I think.

This smells fantastic too though! So added bonus! It's like funnel cake with sweet musky sea salt! I love it!

Edited by LadyVictoria

I did think it was cool that I was on Santa Carla st. wearing Santa Carla, even though this was probably for the city, I thought it was pretty special.

It's a Lost Boys reference. ;)

It's a Lost Boys reference. ;)

Omg how did I miss that?? Wait didn't they live in San Dimas though or am I thinking of something else?

Ohhh I looooovee that movie. I couldn't eat white rice for the longest time because I only saw maggots. lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm... Some sly little LP Elf slipped this into my last package! Such a lovely surprise, as it's one LP I'd always wanted to try, but had yet to have the chance. Thank you! :wub: You're very kind!

Going on it smells like, of all things, popcorn balls! :o No, seriously. It smells exactly like popcorn balls for the first 10-15 minutes, and then it morphs quite drastically, and the popcorn ball smell is gone entirely. Instead, there's a really haunting smell left in their place. It's creamy, and exceptionally light, and there's such a wispy incense in the background that I can just barely tell it's there at all. Ironic, because the incense is what prevented me from getting a bottle in the first place. But that little breath of incense seems perfectly at home, resting on the creamy, slightly sweet bed of - what is in this? pumpkin? some kind of cake? - for lack of a more accurate and descriptive word, nomminess. Santa Carla '09 wears very ethereally on me. I almost can't tell it's there, and it's so lovely and soft that when I get a little whiff, it feels sort of solemn and otherworldly. I really like this a lot. Thank you again to whomever was thoughtful enough to send it to me. :D xox

• 1 year later...

I like this, wore it the other night. It seems to have developed more complexities in the aging. I can smell the salt air and incense now much better in the dry down than I used to be able to.

Skin chemistry at work: I wore this on myself, pretty well slathered and carried around my little baby all day long. Well on me I got the nifty salty sea note with a hint of sweetness in the background in the long dry down, but Elena smelled like I dipped her straight in a vat of pink cotton candy! It smelled totally different on her, and she smelled almost as cute as she looks! I do mean to wear this more often before the weather cools off again. It's light, but very nice.

• 8 months later...

I'm wearing this tonight, for the umpteenth time, and I just now figured out what it smells like! (After how many years?). It smells like that pink popcorn that comes in the white box with the elephant on the front! And I love it!

• 5 months later...

How is it I never reviewed this until now? This is so different from the first Santa Carla; while the last one was almost bubblegum-sweet over awesome black leather, this smells like deep-fried pumpkin-filled pies. Love it.