Eye of the Storm

Beccah

Okay this is sharply green for me. TT loves it, he seems to respond better to the 'green' or more 'traditional' perfume scents. I didn't like, he's told me to try it on & see if it changes, go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow another one that I don't feel is getting enough love. Not from me-this is maybe my favorite of the regular November releases.

It captures the description to a "T". Rain, Damp crushed dying greenery(which lends a very nature like sweetness to me), wild fresh whipping wind, ozone, aquatics,wet soil whatever magic they spin to make a scent so real.

The only difference? Not a winter storm. A storm on the brink of fall, when its just beginning to get really cold, but you can still catch a warm day-(actually lyrics from Gun's 'n Roses "November Rain" come to mind. Haha-I think like that, in sound and color alot).

This is the art of perfumery capturing a moment to me, something the ladies are so very good at..you could pay out your rear end for 'CB I hate Perfume', which does scents like this and cost over a hundred bucks a bottle, or Demeter,which not only dont LAST, but I can find flaws in the blending (Thunderstorm smells like dirt, Firefly smells like Dirt, Dirt smells like dirt, and Snow-which somehow won the dang Fifi award(the perfumers equal to an Oscar-mannnnnn did THAT one make my fur fly-)-smells like-DIRT!! but I digress)

M&D Have done BETTER than what all these New York overpriced perfumers have tried. This is a STORM. It's the REAL DEAL, it will last all day, all for 25 bucks! Sounds to me, like a 'winner'!

Edited by cheeseburger79

..you could pay out your rear end for 'CB I hate Perfume', which does scents like this and cost over a hundred bucks a bottle, or Demeter,which not only dont LAST, but I can find flaws in the blending (Thunderstorm smells like dirt, Firefly smells like Dirt, Dirt smells like dirt, and Snow-which somehow won the dang Fifi award(the perfumers equal to an Oscar-mannnnnn did THAT one make my fur fly-)-smells like-DIRT!! but I digress)

You're entitled to your opinion and I understand your loyalty, but Christopher Brosius IS an amazing perfumer. I agree that his scents are on the pricy side but he has a gift, IMO. And I respect him for walking away from what was an incredibly successful commerical fragrance career in order to follow his own passions.

Oh I agree with that-on SOME, not all-theres some Demeters I just adore-but they have zero staying power.

I have yet to try a CB(the gilded up version of the Demeter line by the same guy) oil-and I will(to me the colonge versions do NOT stay-just me). To date I own- nevermind-Its retarded how many fragrances I own-vintage, artisan, modern, what have you. And yes, the man has talent-sometimes. His Golden Delicious couldn't be more real, but grass does NOT smell like grass(one of my favorite notes).Wet Garden does though! I love it! Guess ya can't win em all-I do respect his artistry though, of course! Its pretty amazing-just not all the time.

I didnt mean to single that man out anyway-that was a mistake, he is-a damn genius. My point was, that LP is making extremely realistic scents too,at a fraction of the cost and with 5 times the strength. Thats all I'm sayin.

Nothing else will ever be Angel. Its 150 bucks a bottle-and I'll never stop buying it.

But with single notes, or atmospheric blends, if I'm seeing something done better at a more reasonable rate-thats what I'm going for. Especially if it actually lasts longer than 25 minuites. Of course some of his blends can't be interchanged-it's art. But some can,and that goes for alot of other companys too. Certainly not just his.

Did he deserve a Fifi? Yep. For Snow? Nope-just my opionion.

And I think you rock! Know that lady-this is all just friendly banter to me.

edit--I wasn't aware that he left Demeter for CB-I just reread your post. I guess that explains the price explosion....I stand corrected, if he's doing it on his own now, that makes alot more sense to have the products be so costly. I thought he was just doing both.

Edited by cheeseburger79

I'm giving this to Quince, he loves "fresh" scents like these. As I've stated repeatedly I can't do aquatics, or only certain kinds. But this is interesting because I get much more of the green characteristic of it. I bought him a bottle of Alternative Breeding's Earth Meet Sky recently because it's the same kind of scent: with rain, grass and soil. But that one is very watery while Eye has more green to it. I can see guys liking this one a lot if they like to smell clean.

I have a sample of this, and it looks like its going on my trade list. :D Too green for me, I get a very sharp, "weedy" scent right off the bat, then it gets that sour thing going that I usually get from green scents. I had hoped this wouldn't do that, but I guess I'm just not able to wear green. Oh well, there's plenty of others for me to pick from LOL.

It did remind of when I was little & I would snap open plants & the stalks of flowers. Kinda smelled like the wild sorrell I used to munch on,lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"Demolished Greenery" Yup, that's it in a nutshell... I smelled this wet & went, "Um, maybe not", but broke down & tried it. It softens & turns lovely after about 10 mins. I will have to revisit this one.

I actually expected this to be very blue (excuse the synaesthesia), but it's really very green. It's a really accurate and well-crafted evocation of the aftermath of a storm, "demolished greenery" as paganlady said, and I can really smell the cold water notes, but it's just too green for me.

Almost as much as using the products, I really enjoy hearing everyone's reactions and how differently things smell on different people as well as what people "respond to" emotionally, it is its own way of getting to know people and I find people just infinitely fascinating :blue_dancing_banana: For example look at how gloriously imagistic this thread is, you all took me on a mental and emotional field trip through time and space in a few seconds :blue_dancing_banana: I've been looking around online for a resource that matches up what your skin likes/eats/amps, what scents you like, with personality and spiritual insight and advice or suggestions but haven't found anything, would love to hear if others have such info?

OK, enough OT/BOB, just had to say that as a moment of appreciation :) and you've inspired me to try this one today! Will edit later with my own review :)

ETA: This was a great lesson to me in not making a snap judgment based on my reaction to how something smells in the vial/bottle. I did and said Whoa, way too green for me, it's not "me." But thanks to this thread I tried it and I'm so glad!

WET: my newbie nose could only pick up one thing, I felt like I was lying in a truckload of cut yellow tulips with the stems crushed under and around me, but it was a very "full" and "round" version of that smell, almost juicy it was so big. On me it wasn't sharp at all (I had been expecting the same kind of pointy POW! that lemon does on me). I mean I could practically SEE and feel them all around me, very powerful, *very* pleasant and cheering especially with the ongoing gloomy weather here.

Drying down, similar to many of you UT, it has mellowed and "widened" and become much less literal. It picked up just a little more flower-ness and less stem-ness. It feels so natural, fresh in a "neutral" way, not specifically feminine but not really unisex either. It just seems very "believable", meaning, it doesn't go "PERFUME!" but you could almost believe that I was born smelling like a garden of succulents that just got beautifully drenched with a rainstorm and that's just how I smell :lol:

To be totally honest I would never have guessed I would like that or want to smell like that, but it feels fantastic. It's very uplifting and I feel strangely encouraged and energized. Something about the mood it creates is very still, the garden is silent and I'm the only one there, making me feel peaceful but also, somehow, stable/balanced. A rare instance where I believe the official description, rich as it is, actually doesn't do the scent justice! Amazing.

ETA again to say cheeseburger's DIRT rant made me LOL. I like some of the foody Demeters, but I agree, by the time I walk out the door the smell is completely gone. :001_tt2:

Edited by tyvey

They're not meant to last very long, not really meant to be worn as perfume (though I know that's how they're marketed). They're supposed to be evocative of whatever they represent for a short window of time.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a sniffie of this in one of my wonderful transactions, either here or from Mara...wore it yesterday --this one is full bottle worthy for me.

Starts out very green but then it drys down more aquatic for me...reminds me of the freshness after a storm, or a clean freshly shaved man. I had one big problem with this one.....

It frickin turned me on!! To the extent that I would have thought it was phero enhanced (it wasn't). Funny what scents evoke in a person. Needless, to say I had an interesting day at work...I am a bill collector, and found it very difficult to concentrate. There was a positive effect though, I did collect a lot of money! More then usual. The scent must have made me very persuasive...even if only by telephone! LOL

Edited by ladybegood1

I got a sniffie of this in one of my wonderful transactions, either here or from Mara...wore it yesterday --this one is full bottle worthy for me.

Starts out very green but then it drys down more aquatic for me...reminds me of the freshness after a storm, or a clean freshly shaved man. I had one big problem with this one.....

It frickin turned me on!! To the extent that I would have thought it was phero enhanced (it wasn't). Funny what scents evoke in a person. Needless, to say I had an interesting day at work...I am a bill collector, and found it very difficult to concentrate. There was a positive effect though, I did collect a lot of money! More then usual. The scent must have made me very persuasive...even if only by telephone! LOL

Ahahahaha! Very cool! Whatever motivation it takes to get the job done! :(

• 8 months later...

Hmmm... This reminds me of fish market by the sea... The Green and Blue is too strong for me.... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is wet greenery on me. I get a hint of something herbal or flowery, but mostly it's just stems, leaves and grass. I feel like I have been calling a lot of perfumes "green" lately, but that is really the best word for this.

• 2 months later...

Tumultuous. That is the best way I can describe this scent. All the notes hit me all at once in an all out assault of your olfactory sense. Eye of the storm is definitely the appropriate name for this one.

It is very fresh, green and wet as a storm would be I guess.

I think it's a bit too sharp and attention grabbing for work, and not warm or sensual enough for night time.

Anyone have any good ideas as for what would be an ideal setting to wear this one?

I like that one for bedroom aura - I apply to my pillow and it makes me feel as if I am sleeping in nature...camping without the camping. Also strikes me as a good wake-up scent for early mornings when you need to feel more awake than you are.

Someone sent a sniffie of this with a trade, and I loved it. It's on the list of stuff I hope to talk BF into wearing, because on him it smells fan-freaking-tastic, especially considering stormy weather is my favourite kind of weather, and BF is my favourite guy. Put the two together and - BAM! ;)

BF really loved the scent, too. I kept catching him going back to smell the sniffie. He thinks it's pretty wild that "there's a storm in the bottle", but I have a hard time persuading him to wear it. I'm still working on that.

I kind of like the idea of using this as a fabric spray on my sheets, or even on the curtains on those dratted too-sunny days when the windows are open and likely to blow the scent inward.

• 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely beautiful. I enjoy this much more than Frog for its freshness. I love men wearing clean, fresh scents so this will be one of them. Under the greens, I smell some flowers which I can't identify but I might be wrong. I'd love to turn my little sniffee into a linen spray. It will be so nice to have this when Aunt Flo is in town.

• 6 months later...

I got this as another freebie sample and I really like it. I wouldn't wear it, but I would give it to my man (when I get one) and I would have it burning in my house. It seems like it would go great with Teddy BB or B2 pheros. It was very clean, green, and rainy. Loved it right out of the bottle and onto my skin. As it has had more time to dry down and settle, it is a very masculine scent on me. But my right wrist smells like a very sexy guy. It smells like an older cologne my youngest uncle used to wear, maybe even a aftershave he wore. I am impressed and will pass it on to a guy friend!

I LOVE THIS SCENT. I need a fb. Maybe my next order. Or it goes on the FB wishlist (which keep getting longer and longer since I can't drop the money on all the fb's I want right now).

Wet it smelled a bit too much like fresh wet earth to me, which isn't so much my thing, but on drydown this is gorgeous and fresh and crisp green and rain. I'm learning it's not *just* green scents I like but wet/rainy green scents. And this is pretty spot on!

• 4 months later...

First on when wet this definitely has some earth in it. Strong strong earth aroma, after it dried and settled it really does have that smell akin to a clean shaved man. Like the old school clean shaved man, where they used bars of soap and shaved it off with a blade--really nice smell. It went from damnp earthy-to-wet in a snap. theres no more earthy smell but there is some green and blue goin on.

Reminds me of when i used to go play in the woods when i was a tot.

Maybe i can get my man to use this :lol: