Port Jolie

Invidiana

The theme behind this reminds me of the brothel scene I'm currently writing up for my novel. That aside, I drink lots of tea and love tea fragrances, and this is a fantastic take on tea. The sweetness of the honeyed tea is balanced by a hint of tart fruitiness from the guava, cassis and plum, given a smooth base by the vanilla and tonka and warmed up by the musk. It really does make me think of the sitting room of a Victorian brothel where "the wallaper was a rich crimson paisley pattern with gilded accents, and eery piece of furniture was upholstered in a damask or brocade or velvet of some sort"...and that phrase is copyright yours truly!

This is actually more of a tea fragrance to me than Tea and Strumpets is, it has a lighter brighter aspect than the other, but it's lovely, it really smells like honeyed tea with lovely juicy aspects of fruit, with a nicely clean and warm base.

It really does make me think of the sitting room of a Victorian brothel where "the wallaper was a rich crimson paisley pattern with gilded accents, and eery piece of furniture was upholstered in a damask or brocade or velvet of some sort"...and that phrase is copyright yours truly!

I wrote a much longer description for Port Jolie, based on the notes Mara gave me, which I didn't submit because it was too long, but I had that same sense too, of a sitting room and so forth.

Port Jolie (unabridged)

Thanks! :)

M: I have a whole idea outlined and everything, but The Incubus would be very upset if I ignored him. :)

WOW - I love this. Not my normal thing but the honeyed tea plus just a whisker of tart fruit is really intoxicating. This is just about perfect for the office - clean, cheerful and just so bright. I could totally see getting this as a beta spray - with a bit of the extra diffusion I think I'd be in head over heals.

• 2 weeks later...

Sharp and soap, is what I get. Not in a bad way, but too strong for me. An expensive european hotel soap. Clean, just not my style. No tea, no fruit, & vanilla waaay in the back. Weird. Will have to see how it ages.

• 3 weeks later...

I would never have expected it, but on me at least this is another that feels like it would do great commercially - clean, brisk, serious but not dour, very professional and no-nonsense. Does not strike me as overtly/overly sexy for the office, and does not come off foody at all (to my surprise considering the notes).

For some reason this scent keeps evoking for me the (original) Burberry plaid - it smells like those colors, that design and their general 'feel'.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Bumping for Charity Auction 

one of Mara’s best tea scents ever! It’s sexy as hell with the darker fruits, but still some tartness to play off the tea. If you are a fan of Shelly B’s Old posts, this was one of her very favorite LPs. One of those rare LPs that transcends seasons and can be worn anytime of year.