Majmua Sultana

Invidiana

AD-MajmuaSultana.jpg

Majmua Sultana

One of the most fascinating forms of perfumery is the divine "mishmash" of Majmua: a luxurious and dense blending of dozens of ingredients to create a scent fit for royalty (though now they are available to all). The creation of such a treasure is much like a well-loved fable...numerous characters intermingle and their voices - at once separate and joined - tell a wondrous tale. Like all tales, the revelation is in the telling...be adventurous and allow this mesmerizing fragrance to bloom upon your skin...a story all your own will unfold in the wearing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
MAJMUA ~ (a blend of woods, flowers and herbs) Peaceful, soothing, spiritual.
MYSORE SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
AMBER ~ Fertility, love, luck, riches.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.
BOYSENBERRY ~ Healing, money attraction, protection. Dreams, wishes, luck, good fortune, deflection of negativity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This very much reminds me of a more "golden" version of Fade to Black, which I love dearly. I'd say it's the honey, amber and vanilla that make this more golden as opposed to dark, but still wonderfully heady and delicious. Those mixed with the resins give it an almost caramelized quality, and the warm sandalwood finish adds to the sex appeal. I get just a hint of sweet-tart boysenberry rounding it out. Now I have no idea what majmua on its own smells like, but this scent as a whole is very warm and highly sensual so I imagine it definitely does contribute to those qualities. Love!

This very much reminds me of a more "golden" version of Fade to Black, which I love dearly. I'd say it's the honey, amber and vanilla that make this more golden as opposed to dark, but still wonderfully heady and delicious. Those mixed with the resins give it an almost caramelized quality, and the warm sandalwood finish adds to the sex appeal. I get just a hint of sweet-tart boysenberry rounding it out. Now I have no idea what majmua on its own smells like, but this scent as a whole is very warm and highly sensual so I imagine it definitely does contribute to those qualities. Love!

I think Raven's Secret Weapon is more like a classic maj mua

Yes RSW was constructed like a classic Eastern majmua whereas this one is more Western in orientation.

Oh YEEEESSSSSSSS, this is absolutely heavenly on me! I must bathe in this!

Oh YEEEESSSSSSSS, this is absolutely heavenly on me! I must bathe in this!

I am going to sniff myself to death! I need more bottles (yes I said bottleSSSSSSSSSS) of this!!

For me, if I was going to compare it to any other LP, this is The 101 Nights of Sugared Babe. That beautiful rich decadent blending of vanilla, amber and honey with added touches of exotica (the sandalwood and attars). It's gorgeous! I do get the classic majmua vibe from it, however, because there's nothing quite like that scent once you've smelled it. The boysenberry isn't really there for me, the other elements are just too dominant, I guess.

I think this is my favorite for June. :blushing:

For me, if I was going to compare it to any other LP, this is The 101 Nights of Sugared Babe. That beautiful rich decadent blending of vanilla, amber and honey with added touches of exotica (the sandalwood and attars). It's gorgeous! I do get the classic majmua vibe from it, however, because there's nothing quite like that scent once you've smelled it. The boysenberry isn't really there for me, the other elements are just too dominant, I guess.

I think this is my favorite for June. :blushing:

You and I are in the same boat, Luna.....my absolute fave for the month!

The boysenberry isn't really there for me, the other elements are just too dominant, I guess.

Really, Really ? the boyenberry is NOT a prominent scent in this ? cause the little voice in my head keeps telling me to order it, only sometimes that little voice just likes to babble endlessly....oooh what that ? get that ! you have to have that ! blah, blah, blah icon6.gif

For me, if I was going to compare it to any other LP, this is The 101 Nights of Sugared Babe. That beautiful rich decadent blending of vanilla, amber and honey with added touches of exotica (the sandalwood and attars).

Well hell, I was totally NOT interested in trying this because I am no maj mua fan (other than the ones I mix up myself!) but now you gone and done it - 101 Nights of Sugared Babe? I need to sniff this.

Mind you, that's in the first 20 minutes or so. It eventually dries down to a more traditional majmua scent but at first it's soooooo beautiful in that way.

(I also realized I should have written 1001 Nights of Sugared Babe, I am Literature!Fail.)

Liz; I don't really get the boysenberry but YMMV. Some people amp berry notes no matter what, of course.

Edited by luna65

Liz; I don't really get the boysenberry but YMMV. Some people amp berry notes no matter what, of course.

I don't get the boysenberry either, so it's not just you.....I am in love with this scent, though.....I have already ordered multiple bottle for hoarding...... :lol:

I'll give it a try, I wasn't a a "blue" lover either, but after you sent me the sample of Indigo Queen.....I fell in love :lol: and was able to score a 5ml btl, you've NEVER steered me wrong Mz Luna :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Initially, this is the scent of incense of my favorite spiritual book store in Harvard Square, now long gone. It makes me think of peace, tranquility and the exquisite quietness of the place. Must have some sandalwood.

Now it's becoming baby powder, no, stop - I want to hold on to that opening!

I know that place!!! was it a few steps down from street level, very narrow and long??

yes! across from the little parking garage, next to the bus depot

• 1 month later...

Chose this for my free monthly sample & yes it smells wonderful! Very traditional, even with the westernizing sweet notes added.

• 2 months later...

I was so psyched about this scent but my skin decided to gobble it up before I could even identify it. So strange. Lasted maybe 10 minutes ( seriously) Just before it did the disappearing act, I got a distinct whiff of caramel, vanilla, and maybe honey. I think this could be just lovely if your skin doesn't eat it all up like mine did.

• 1 month later...

I was expecting this to be more robust and more "Indian" but it turned out quite flat on my skin. I'm uncertain if I will wear this on its own. However, with OCCO Red next to it, it brightened up the scent and gave MS a different dimension.

I was expecting this to be more robust and more "Indian" but it turned out quite flat on my skin. I'm uncertain if I will wear this on its own. However, with OCCO Red next to it, it brightened up the scent and gave MS a different dimension.

MAJMUA ~ (a blend of woods, flowers and herbs) Peaceful, soothing, spiritual.

MYSORE SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.

AMBER ~ Fertility, love, luck, riches.

VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.

HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.

BOYSENBERRY ~ Healing, money attraction, protection. Dreams, wishes, luck, good fortune, deflection of negativity.

This one is designed as a 'westernized' take on the classic majmua construction, it's lighter & brighter baby :666:

• 8 months later...

This smells like warm skin on me. (is that the Majmua?)

I love it!! Funny I tried it for the first time in the cooler weather and didn't like.

I revisited it during the summer and the sunny days. Wowza! Can outside temps affect diffusion on a person? It hasn't been hot enough here that I am sweating, but this scent def. smells better in the summer months.

I am so ordering a bottle of this!

Any other Majmua Sultana lovers out there? :)

ME !! I love those rich, dark scents, they're my FAV :)

Probably the amber. The majmua usually lends a more resin-y incense vibe to a fragrance.

I love it!! Funny I tried it for the first time in the cooler weather and didn't like.

I revisited it during the summer and the sunny days. Wowza! Can outside temps affect diffusion on a person? It hasn't been hot enough here that I am sweating, but this scent def. smells better in the summer months.

I am so ordering a bottle of this!

Any other Majmua Sultana lovers out there? :)

You've inspired me to find my sample!! Maybe it just needed aging, some scents are like that.

Probably the amber. The majmua usually lends a more resin-y incense vibe to a fragrance.

These scents will never cease to amaze me. I had Phero Girl and OCCO gold, and a couple other scents with amber (usually honey in there too) and they ended up smelling like cat pee on me. Could never pin down whether it was t he amber or honey.

These scents will never cease to amaze me. I had Phero Girl and OCCO gold, and a couple other scents with amber (usually honey in there too) and they ended up smelling like cat pee on me. Could never pin down whether it was t he amber or honey.

That would be certain kinds (not all) of honey, and anything described as an animalic musk.

On some people they are crazy sexy, and on some people they just come off as unclean. Personal taste and body chemistry.

How long can they age? Is it diff with each blend?

True resins and attars age extremely well - some have survived thousands of years, discovered by archeologists intact and gorgeous.

As we make and sell perfumes *fresh* these days, often they need time for the ingredients to properly meld, which can take days weeks, or months, and resins seem to improve with age a good deal of the time.

True resins and attars age extremely well - some have survived thousands of years, discovered by archeologists intact and gorgeous.

As we make and sell perfumes *fresh* these days, often they need time for the ingredients to properly meld, which can take days weeks, or months, and resins seem to improve with age a good deal of the time.

OOH good to know! I'll remember that!

I really do think this one is beautiful. I like this one for when I am Lady Gastelum of the Mission Hills Estate. It has that certain.. let me put on my finest silk negligee and curl my hair into ringlets so they may cascade down my back like black licorice while I sashay into the parlor and dance like a snake.. or in my case .. Elaine from Seinfeld.

• 1 month later...

This has become my new "go to" for the warmer weather. It just speaks warmth to me. My sister complained about the musk smell, but I don't really detect that. I don't care for musk either really, but this is more like warm sunshine smell. I've already used half my bottle that I ordered a month and a half ago!

is this anything like Naughty on the Nile?

thanks Luna, I shall have to sample Isis.

bollox. Just checked and isis is sold out :-(

• 1 month later...

I have been wearing this today, and it may just be that we're getting close to Christmas but I swear this makes me think of figgy pudding. Probably the boysenberry in it is making me drool for mincemeat pies and cookies. I loved this already, but now I'm thinking it'll be delicious to smell like this all through the holidays.

• 4 months later...