Bad skin reactions with oil mixes...

Hey everyone-

so, I have been wanting to post about this for quite a while now.

I have been having skin reactions to oil mixes over the last 2 or 3 months.

I remember having a horrible horrible reaction to an application of pure EoW. I didn't have a problem before with pure EoW. I would put on a few drops, and my skin would swell pretty badly, turn red, and feel like burning.

I tried not wearing EoW anymore in a pure form, let the skin rest, and try again. One time it was so bad I literally had a couple scars, on each side of my neck. It is all better now, but it took me a month to heal totally. My skin in these areas would be super sensitive to any product and kind of itchy.

So that was my issue with Eow, which I now use very carefully, avoiding application on the chest or neck.

Now, with perfume oils, namely Garland & Lace and some other ones, I would notice some kind of light red rash on my chest at the end of the day. It took me a while to understand the rash was coming from perfume oil application. I would experience this when I would slather really, and with all kinds of different perfume oil.

Only on rare occasion the red rash would be really bothersome and would make my skin itchy.

So I decided to take some days off with perfume oils, and generally my skin feels better. I am just more careful these days with applying a large quantity of oil or applying several days in a row.

I tend to wear my perfume oil more liberally on my wrists and arms now, and my hair.

I have to say also, that I don't have any known allergy, my skin is very easy going and tollerates pretty much everything when it comes to makeup and cosmetics.

I think that for now I want to wear more sprays than oils because of all this.

I am curious as to whether some of you have had similar experience.

The Love Scent EOW used to do that to me. Me, Jane burns when I apply it so I have it in a spray now. And G&L turns my skin red sometimes - almost always if it catches under my pendant - I'll have a pendant shaped red blotch for hours probably from the spices.

EOW is basically a bunch of vinegars if I remember correctly, so it's going to be acidic. Maybe that's why your skin is having this reaction.

This is most likely to happen if you apply right after a shower. Let your body cool down a good 30 minutes or more before you apply perfume or pheros, and you'll have better luck avoiding the redness and burning sensations. Some people just need to avoid their neck, also, as it's too sensitive.

The cinnamon in G&L does have that reaction with some people, or any scent with spices. Sometimes citrus too, but you are more apt to be sensitive right after you shower, like Carrie says.

Do you use any sort of skin product on your neck and chest? Retin-A? CP products? Those might react with the EoW.

Recently I had my first ever reaction - I had a bright red ring of burned looking skin all around my neck (I circle my neck with perfume!) and down to my decollatage...charming! That was Liberty Bell, of all things. I've been hesitant since with some of the spicier perfumes, but it hasn't reoccurred.

My skin is normally not sensitive either, but circumstances must have been just right. It took several days to fade! Even DH commented on it.

Every now and then I have a slight to moderate reddening on my inner elbow area with oils...but I don't recall which ones. That seems to be my most sensitive spot.

Mademoiselle, have you tried applying over D5 (the silicone stuff)? Maybe that would protect your skin.

Right. If your pores are open, from the shower or from exercise, EVERYONE becomes more sensitive to fragrance products. They say you're never supposed to wear perfume when sunning yourself or when working out.

Face, neck and chest are super-sensitive. (I halt my application at my cleavage/bra level, I don't go higher than that). And yes, we use some real spices in our perfumes, which are very well diluted, but can be sensitizing if your pores are wide open.

Your EoW issues are with the LS version in alcohol. True, EoW is a combo of vinegars really, and can be sensitizing too. I would suspect that our oil version would be a little less irritating than the alcohol version, but still, face neck and chest are not application points that I EVER use. (BTW, It's not true that each bottle is different.)

Belly button to cleavage (not chest), BACK of neck under your hair. Those are the best application areas to diffuse along with your body heat, and run the least amount of risk of sensitivity issues. :blushing:

Every now and then I have a slight to moderate reddening on my inner elbow area with oils...but I don't recall which ones. That seems to be my most sensitive spot.

Mademoiselle, have you tried applying over D5 (the silicone stuff)? Maybe that would protect your skin.

I was having issues last year with any oil I put on my inner elbows, but especially the spicy ones. IDK not having any reaction from that spot anymore, not even with LibertyBelle, TOH, or MILF. I'm happy it just desensitized on it's own. Actually, my skin hardly peeled from the chemical peels I had done this April (weird) !

Your EoW issues are with the LS version in alcohol. True, EoW is a combo of vinegars really, and can be sensitizing too. I would suspect that our oil version would be a little less irritating than the alcohol version, but still, face neck and chest are not application points that I EVER use. (BTW, It's not true that each bottle is different.)

I got red blotches on my neck from the alcohol version of EoW, but NEVER from Essence Oil.....and it always goes on my neck and chest area

Belly button to cleavage (not chest), BACK of neck under your hair. Those are the best application areas to diffuse along with your body heat, and run the least amount of risk of sensitivity issues. :blushing:

Ok sorry if I didn't use the right term, I have experienced the rash on my abdomen/tummy area with perfume oils. And back of neck as well. It's weird.

It could be a spice overload, which sucks, cause I like spicy scents for sure. ;-(

The reason why I mentioned that each EoW bottle is different is because it is my personal experience, they all smell slightly different to me, the balance is never really the same, as if they age in their own way. Some seem to smell stronger than other too, so I thought that the skin reactions I have had with this current bottle maybe wouldn't have happen w/ another one. Who knows?...

Ok sorry if I didn't use the right term, I have experienced the rash on my abdomen/tummy area with perfume oils. And back of neck as well. It's weird.

It could be a spice overload, which sucks, cause I like spicy scents for sure. ;-(

The reason why I mentioned that each EoW bottle is different is because it is my personal experience, they all smell slightly different to me, the balance is never really the same, as if they age in their own way. Some seem to smell stronger than other too, so I thought that the skin reactions I have had with this current bottle maybe wouldn't have happen w/ another one. Who knows?...

I think I would try some D5 before you apply....it will create a sort of barrier.....

Wow,I surely am grateful to not ever have had any problems so far...but then I have never tried straight EOW.Don't think I would as I am an Occo fan...I like to run a path of Occo Red just under my collar bone,from shoulder to shoulder and do the smooshing thing all over my stomach and chest,mixed with LP Red :thumbup: I do the same with G&L .Never tried Liberty Belle tho.

Wow,I surely am grateful to not ever have had any problems so far...but then I have never tried straight EOW.Don't think I would as I am an Occo fan...I like to run a path of Occo Red just under my collar bone,from shoulder to shoulder and do the smooshing thing all over my stomach and chest,mixed with LP Red :thumbup: I do the same with G&L .Never tried Liberty Belle tho.

You know Calii, I scaled down my usage of pure EoW but I sure as hell wear some cops, and when mixed with some other perfume oil, it seems just fine. OCCO hasn't never been a problem so far.

• 2 weeks later...