Thane

liz

mmmmm..... manly without a doubt ! LOVE the Cold Steel and Stone !!! Wish I had the skill to give this the praises this man scent deserves. Very Nice indeed !!

Admittedly I wasn't sure I would like this; I didn't vote for it...and when I first sniffed it the sea spray made me cringe (Aquatics, ack! *whimpers*)...BUT, there's something in Thane which is incredibly intriguing. I believe it's the costus root accord, I keep thinking I've smelled it somewhere before. On the whole it's very archetypal male and everyone should dab it on their nearest XY; it's one of those which will likely have a universal appeal (like PB Dominance did, for example). I'm certain even my fussy Quince will like it, as he prefers scents which are wholly unambiguous. (That man, I swear. :rolleyes::lol: )

Only got a quick try of this on DH before he left for vacay, but I was impressed. It is very manly and strong, but has a different feel to it. Want to do more testing here when I have male skin around again....

This just reminds me of the bitter, cold sea. When you are hiking amongst the rocks. The smell of granite is the strongest to me. I love it! So does my ten yr.old. Should I be letting him wear it?-Be blessed-

I've been thinking about that; because I've wondered what my son (who is 11-soon-to-be-12), if he was interested in fragrance, would wear. I think boys should smell like grass and dirt and clean air, but that's me. So I'd let him wear Hoyden, for example, because it's Springtime and fresh grass. Or Frog. On the other hand, something like Goblin Goo or Rocket Chick would be fun for a kid - boy or girl - to wear.

Then again, it's important to let them develop preferences as well...so although Thane says "man" rather than "boy" to me, if he likes it I don't see the harm.

Ok.....Frog is perfect for a boy! Hoyden and Rocket Chick smell like girl? I'm Sure Thane is fine? I dunno, I have no children. But 12 seems like when they start growing up and whatnot?

Maybe I'm Crazy. Thats how it was with my brother, Gabriel. He's 15, I'm 30, so I have some idea..he grew up quick like me though.

edit-he probably SHOULD smell like frog! If hes not into scent, just spike his shampoo! haha, your his mom!

Edited by cheeseburger79

My little guy is ten, and is very indulgent of my scent addiction. He plays with me occasionally, and would like to make his own custom. He likes Frog, has had his own bottle of Pied Piper for awhile but I think he may outgrow it soon, I third the Hoyden suggestion, Heartland is nice. I have let him use Communication Potion when he has to do something in front of the class, and Portunus when he was running for 4-H president (which that little bitch Brittaney swiped from under him, it is because the teacher prefers girls, and she ALWAYS lets Brittaney be her helper) and Sweet Revenge amped with Popularity Potion after the unfortunate election.

Yes I'm sorry, I'm wrong about Hoyden bein for just girls!-and I really have no clue what scents to put on children! I still think frog is great for little boys though. All snips and snails and puppy dogs tails!

Sorry about your sons teacher, TG!!

Well FROG is good for boys? Must be why DH likes it so much....

Thane is vurrry nice. DH slapped some on this weekend and I kept getting intriguing whiffs of it. Something in there is attractive, without being too forward. Made me wanna get closer and get a better sniff. I can't tell what it is though, and that is good. Almost mysterious, but definitely male, without being overtly sexual...

LOL @ Cheezy,Luna,& TG!!! Thane has no pheros so I will let him have it methinks. I've explained to him extensively about dabbing LIGHTLY. Had to whip out the first crush story, lol. 6th grade, a boy named...well I better not. Way too much cologne!! I seriously could smell it in the classroom before he walked thru the door. Back to my son. Unfortunately, for me. He is already staring the very first stages of puberty. Slight acne, pubic hair. I know of the pubic hair, because he was showing me his toe hair. Then he blurts out:" I have hair on my balls, too Mom." I told him it's ok to tell me that stuff. Anyone else, & he should keep it under his hat. My exact words: There's nothing wrong w/ it. Just people don't wan't know that. Even I don't want to know that. He knew I was kidding about the ladder & not the former.-Be blessed, Beccah-

I won't tell the whole story...but yeah, my son is going through the beginnings of it too, and it's hilarious (for me, not always for him, my poor pookie). Though I'm touched that he's confiding in me for now. I've always been completely honest (never told him stories about the stork and all that nonsense) so I hope his attitude in years to come is healthy. I don't want him to carry around the baggage that so many people do when it comes to sex.

My little guy is ten, and is very indulgent of my scent addiction. He plays with me occasionally, and would like to make his own custom. He likes Frog, has had his own bottle of Pied Piper for awhile but I think he may outgrow it soon, I third the Hoyden suggestion, Heartland is nice. I have let him use Communication Potion when he has to do something in front of the class, and Portunus when he was running for 4-H president (which that little bitch Brittaney swiped from under him, it is because the teacher prefers girls, and she ALWAYS lets Brittaney be her helper) and Sweet Revenge amped with Popularity Potion after the unfortunate election.

;) OMG TG...my Ice tea just came outta my nose.....

I told him it's ok to tell me that stuff. Anyone else, & he should keep it under his hat. My exact words: There's nothing wrong w/ it. Just people don't wan't know that. Even I don't want to know that. He knew I was kidding about the ladder & not the former.-Be blessed, Beccah
I've always been completely honest (never told him stories about the stork and all that nonsense) so I hope his attitude in years to come is healthy. I don't want him to carry around the baggage that so many people do when it comes to sex.

Becca & Luna, my son is the same age & going thru the same "stage"...I also try to instill the values of truth and honesty in him...I think they are one of the most important ingredients in any relationship.

I don't see anything wrong w/ wearing a scent if they are into it at this age....I'm having a hard time w/ the importance of hygene. I have to keep after him, to go get a shower!!! :lol:

What IS it about kids this age and showers?? Mine will go in and run the water for a half an hour and tell me they showered and still smell as frisky as when they went in! I have no idea what possesses someone to LIE when it would take the same amount of time to get IN the shower as it does to stand outside and watch it run to try to fool me! The only thing that I hold on to is that this is my 4th child, and by now I know that when Hormones come knocking, very soon, I won't be able to keep them OUT of the shower ( :lol: but OMG that's another story for another day!!)

What IS it about kids this age and showers?? Mine will go in and run the water for a half an hour and tell me they showered and still smell as frisky as when they went in! I have no idea what possesses someone to LIE when it would take the same amount of time to get IN the shower as it does to stand outside and watch it run to try to fool me! The only thing that I hold on to is that this is my 4th child, and by now I know that when Hormones come knocking, very soon, I won't be able to keep them OUT of the shower ( :lol: but OMG that's another story for another day!!)

Now I'm scared...My 1st hormone crazies with a boy...My oldest is a girl...so I could relate somewhat. I don't want to be the go ask your father type of mom...but "yikes"

Think of it this way...you can raise him to be the right kind of man.

I hear that Luna....treat people with RESPECT, be HONEST, do the RIGHT thing....Heaven knows Im trying...(so far, so good).... :lol:

And getting back to the main topic...I think I need to try Thane for the hubby's 1st LP...(he is a red headed swedish viking after all...)

Edited by FAWN

Fawn's w/ a redheaded viking, too cute. Haha Luna, I never relied on the 'stork either'. Due to the fact that my husband & I have been caught in the act by my ten yr. old. He was horrified!! I believe his exact words were:" You did THAT to have me? Yuck!" Understandable, I am repulsed by the thought of anyones parents haing sex*KIDDING*. I too have to keep on him about his hygiene. The worst offence is lying about brushing the teeth. I think Thane is a wonderful fragrance that should @ least be had in sample size by all us LP collectors. I've so gotta have this full size. Just waiting for September releases,lol.-Be blessed,Beccah-

• 2 months later...

I tried my sample of Thane the other day. Very mixed results.

When it went on it seemed sweet to me, almost like a woman's perfume. I had my doubts but let it dry down. It still seemed a little sweet but it was OK.

I went out about my business for the day.

I was around some of the same women I had been around when I was trying the North Shore. The woman who said the North Shore was OK said the same about Thane. Later the woman who said that North Shore smelled a little effiminate said she really liked Thane. A very good sign.

And then I ran into "S".

S is a very good friend - almost a younger version of my wife. As such, I take her thoughts and opinions seriously. She is married and has kids. We are all (her, my wife, myself) pretty good friends. S and I even work together from time to time but this day's meeting was by chance. I asked her what she thought of my cologne sample. She takes one whiff, looks me dead in the eye and says "You smell like a woman." :o She leans forward, takes another whiff of my neck, and says "Sort of old womanish. Are you sure that was a man's cologne you were trying?" Ouch. We had some small conversation for a minute or two but then we both had to go. As she was leaving she laughs and says "You need to get that off - you smell like a woman." Double ouch. I think it was the laugh that hurt the most.

Despite the smell test disaster with S I will continue to test this one a few more days.

Edited by quietguy

Ouch. I think I'll have to give that one a try tomorrow and see what sort of reviews I get on it.

Man - that's taking a big blow to your manliness! Sweet?? Like an old woman??

Thane must not be for you, quietguy.

But then everyone has different tastes. Did you like it, or did it strike you wrong?

But then everyone has different tastes. Did you like it, or did it strike you wrong?

It seeemed kind of sweet to me - but a lot of the samples do.

What did your wife think of it?

No real comment from her. She does not like me wearing much in the way of colognes. But she will certainly tell me if she thinks I put too much on so no comment is not necessarily a bad comment. Plus she is never sure when I am just trying a new cologne (which she thinks I have waaay to many of) and when I am playing with my pheros ...

If I have a habit that may seem "unmanly" to some it is the fact I love colognes ...

Edited by quietguy

If I have a habit that may seem "unmanly" to some it is the fact I love colognes ...

I don't know about that seeming unmanly. Our sense of smell is one of the greatest senses. Have you ever smelled something and had a distant memory come rushing back? It's a pretty cool experience.

Plus, there are a lot of men that love scents on their wives or girlfriends. So why not like them on yourself?

And considering that most of the leading perfumers of the world are men? Not effeminate at all.

(Interestingly enough, artisan fragrance is very much the territory of women.)

And considering that most of the leading perfumers of the world are men? Not effeminate at all.

Artisan fragrance is where we take back a small segment of our massive beauty industry spending, in that case :D I can quote Sean Combs as saying that "A man knows what smells good to a man." Hence the amount of men in the commercial industry.

I didn't think of Thane as being sweet. The strongest notes I got on my husband were granite & steel. We called it, 'Twisted steel & sex appeal'.

Artisan fragrance is where we take back a small segment of our massive beauty industry spending, in that case :winktongue: I can quote Sean Combs as saying that "A man knows what smells good to a man." Hence the amount of men in the commercial industry.

Almost every multi-million dollar industry is dominated by men, that's part of the reason the phrase "glass ceiling" was coined. In commercial fragrance, we're talking about men making fragrances for women too. And sure, P. Diddy is gonna say that, since he fancies himself a perfumer. But really, he just gives his high concept to the team and they create the juice. :D

I don't know about that seeming unmanly. Our sense of smell is one of the greatest senses. Have you ever smelled something and had a distant memory come rushing back? It's a pretty cool experience.

Sure - without a doubt.

I don't know about that seeming unmanly ...

Plus, there are a lot of men that love scents on their wives or girlfriends. So why not like them on yourself?

Almost every multi-million dollar industry is dominated by men, that's part of the reason the phrase "glass ceiling" was coined. In commercial fragrance, we're talking about men making fragrances for women too.

I just come from a line of work where it is almost all male and you do not wear cologne to work. Ever. I would use pheros but unscented only.

And sure, P. Diddy is gonna say that, since he fancies himself a perfumer. But really, he just gives his high concept to the team and they create the juice. :D

I bet if the truth be told I bet that is probably the most a lot of these celebrities do when they decide to put their name on a perfume or cologne line other than saying "Use this one" at the end of the process.

I've been involved with this process myself, and it usually works like this:

A company seeks out the celeb to promote their perfume. Either the perfume is already finished and the celeb has no input, or the celeb is allowed to choose from a small number of finished perfumes - which is most often the case. (Cher said that's how her perfumes were presented to her - pick one you'd be comfortable putting your name on.)

Very rarely if ever does the celeb get to name notes and pick ingredients and have something created to their specs. However, it is ALWAYS promoted as such, but it's a common and accepted industry fib.

Frankly, most of the celebs are being humored by the companies. They let the celebs think they are having more input than they are. I was witness to one executive snickering about how this one not-very-bright celeb they had contracted thought she had input, and they promoted the hell out of that scenario, but it just wasn't true.

I've also been told that the art of formulating from scratch is becoming more and more rare. The big houses are releasing "types" with new names, combining a few perhaps. We want our own "Cool Water"...or make us something like Givency. Give us a combination of this and that

Back on topic - I am stunned to hear that anyone would find Thane sweet or womanly. It's sooo wet fur, sweat, steel and stone...It makes me wonder if you got a mislabeled vial, QG. I must remember to check the others here and see if there was a mixup. Other than that, it would have to be a personal chemistry issue as the other ladies have discussed. Since we do not use chemical stabilizers, the scents will indeed smell a little different on everyone who wears them. Thank you for your report! :)

Back on topic - I am stunned to hear that anyone would find Thane sweet or womanly. It's sooo wet fur, sweat, steel and stone...It makes me wonder if you got a mislabeled vial, QG. I must remember to check the others here and see if there was a mixup. Other than that, it would have to be a personal chemistry issue as the other ladies have discussed. Since we do not use chemical stabilizers, the scents will indeed smell a little different on everyone who wears them. Thank you for your report!

^^ that. I wondered about a mislabeled vial, too ... Thane is almost TOO Manly, not sweet at all in my opinion.

Well, I am currently working on Merlin's Blend but intend to give everything a couple test run-throughs of a few days each. If it still comes across as sweet I can always send my sample vial back for you to double-check.

If it is Thane, it is no biggie so to speak. I get to test 10 new colognes for a great price. And micro-brews so to speak. In a commercial market where most colognes seem to be trying to imitiate just a few classics it is nice to find something hand-crafted and original. Even if, in the end, it does not suit you. For me it's kinda like going to a small, family-owned winery for an afternoon of taste-testing. Never know what gems you are going to find.

If it is not Thane - which I doubt as you ladies seem to take so much care in what you do - you can send me the real deal sometime. I am probably going to do a second sampler pack so when I do just throw in the "real" Thane with the second sampler to save shipping.

Either way my wife would tell you I enjoy testing different colognes which is exactly what I am doing here.

And please do not get me wrong. Everything I am saying is my opinion and my experience only. I am not trying "knock" any of the colognes by any means. My recommendation to anybody would be to get a sample and try it yourself.

Mara, very interesting detail about celebs and their perfumes. Makes me think even less of all the pimping that goes on especially when some of the scents aren't even that nice or are so very close to others.

About wearing colognes and perfumes: I have noticed in the last several years that it seems to have become less common to wear them than in the past. I've also noticed a lot of 'no scent' policies popping up at different places. My work is one of them and my former college had an office that had a no scent policy but it was one of the offices where you probably got sent there with forms and paperwork that day and couldn't really do much if you already had them on. While I do have compassion for those who have issues with scents and I won't and don't wear them in places that are no scent zone, I'm starting to think that part of the increase in 'no scent' policies may be due to how much people wear. Commercial (not artisan) colognes and perfumes can be rather obnoxious when people douse themselves. And if they wear the same ones regularly there's that issue where you put on more because you've adapted to the scent. Meanwhile, you're leaving a trail everywhere you go. One of the reasons why I love LPMP scents is that I can slather it on and smell it on me, but people more than a few feet away might only get a subtle whiff of it. Often, THEY CHOOSE to move closer to smell it better, which is really fun as long as said person isn't creepy.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that no scent policies and environmental issues have a lot to do with people wearing less. Also, I think that in a mostly male environment, it's probably less likely that men would wear scents because it's wired into our brain that it's a sexual thing or I think at least it is for men. For women, less so because we're all about the senses - soft and luxurious materials, yummy foods, sensual aromas, etc. Or at least that's my take on it based on observations. When I worked at a mostly male (3/4 male) and very large computer company, of the 20-30 men I dealt with daily only 3 or 4 wore colognes. Two wore them so lightly you'd have to be sitting right next to them to smell. The other two? You could smell them around the corner.

ok, i have a little sniffy of this one and decided to see what it does on me. in the vial, i do get wet steel but on my skin, it smelled of liquid tide for half an hour and then the faintest floral note if i really huff the application point. the little bit left will make it into my next hot bath, though.