Santa Carla

salomewilde

"Santa Carla is a whimsical blend of citrus, cotton candy, wormwood accord, white and red musks, sea air, black leather, clove tobacco, and turnsole."

As a Lost Boys fan I had to try this. The description reminded me of Nancy Collin's Sonja Blue character and so does the scent.

Out of the vial it's masculine: leather. On the skin, sweet leather but with an earthy musk that makes it unisex. (I'd say vampires, biker chicks and sadists only.) It died down to something very subtle in a few hours. If I sniffed closely, I smelled nighttime under the pier (wet wood and sand.) And like a shadow, it was gone...

I love Santa Carla, actually, that is version # 2

The Original SC is more berryish. I am actually thinking of doing version # 1 later this year-I'll just have to see.

I think the leather in this is SO important, and I went through varying amounts of clove, some people can't handle clove at all, but I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE it!.

I will let everyone here know first if I do version # 1- you all can test it before I release it!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I've made this my haughty scent. My sense of independence (which is already over developed) increases when I wear it and I found that if I layer it with Adam the sweetness of the latter does something lovely to the clove- so I can see wear you might be going.

Blood Martini (sold out :) !!) is such a dark, sexy berry. I await the vampire resurrection, lol!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Santa Carla . . . A lot has been made of the leather in this one; if somebody who tries it is turned off, I've noticed, they usually mention that note. At the very first I doubted it too--that leather did seem pretty sharp--but then I tried wearing it alone for a whole day.

The more astringent note softened within minutes, and the fragrance itself really did last the whole day. Since then, I have decided this is one of my very favorite Love Potions. I can't say that it works any magic on my boyfriend, like Raven Moon or Scandalous Intentions, and I can't say it makes random strangers stop on the sidewalk and ask "What smells so good?!" (That last one was Nectar du Printemps, actually!) This is one I wear for me. The leather note makes me feel confident and self-assured, while the sweetness of the cotton candy is just an immediate mood lifter. I love this scent--it's turned out to be the winner of the summer for me.

Happy, confident, summery. I'm going to need a bottle of this one. Possibly a drum!

Edited by mountainwitch

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, my finicky skin chemistry didn't really like this one. ( Which is such a pity, because I loved the description) I get a weird smoky, burnt sugar sort of scent on my skin, the leather doesn't come through really clearly and I think I'm getting mostly clove tobacco and cotton candy.

• 3 months later...

This was the blend (when it was first released) to make me cave once and for all and say "Okay, I'm going to order that 10-sample pack!" (back when M&D were offering that option). I love the inspiration and I think Danna's a great conceptualist for these kinds of "dark" scents.

Unfortunately, when I first tried SC it was ALL leather and cotton candy, eventually fading to sea air and floral ambience and it didn't seem to mesh well on my skin at all. But since I've given it time to age I notice that the leather has toned down considerably and I get more of the overall mood it's meant to invoke. It's now an experience, it's like being there in the movie and brushing up against one of those characters, as he stares at me and I quake with fear...and possibly arousal...looking into those eternal eyes...

<_<

Have you ever read Julia Phillips' memoir You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again? Ever since I did, whenever I watch The Lost Boys I'm always thinking about how she totally chicken-hawk'ed Brooke McCarter. :Blusher:

• 1 month later...

In the vial... a rounded citrus, a hint of leather. Interesting!

On, similar to the first sniff, but the leather is coming out more and now a pink feel. I love the Lost Boys reference but I feel like I'm on a date in Grease! I'm wearing my date's leather jacket and eating cotton candy! A touch of spice is coming out too, like I'm breathing in his aftershave. The leather gets a bit overpowering on me like it sometimes can, but still, I love the imagery!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have to say, I've had a sample of this for a whole, not sure what version though, and I love it! works better when i scent something else besides my skin though with it. I have a secret way of doing this I discovered that isn't a scent locket but works the same way...