Gothic Xmas

salomewilde

AD-GothXmas2011-LovePotion.jpg

Gothic Xmas

An unexpectedly twisted holiday treat. Spiked Egg-Nog and Hot Buttered Rum, Figgy Pudding, Roasted Chestnuts, Boughs of Holly, Ivy and Fir makes this a deeply satisfying Xmas-y delight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rum and fig right off the bat! Verrrry sweet! On, it almost immediately turns to vanilla nutmeg with the tiniest touch of evergreen. Roasting chestnuts always reminds me of the street of NYC and there you have it: Xmas Eve, Times Square, drunk on Captain Morgan's. This one will definitely keep me warm in the winter.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In the bottle: the Rum, figs and eggnog blend into a rich Christmas cake.

Wet: There's also something bitter, like dark coffee, but without the coffee. The fir and holiday greenery also threads its way through, and I am taken back to the road side Christmas tree stands where my family would go to pick out a tree. (We used to hit three or four places before finding just the right one.)

Drydown: The holiday greens are more prominent, and the cake has faded into a dark figgy pudding, which hovers in the background.

This smells like the best craft stores, all decorated for the holiday season. You know, that smell which hits you when you walk in, and makes you feel like Christmas is here, even when it's still October.

I was unwrapping my sample pack while my boyfriend was in the room. "You've got to see this one--it's called 'Gothic Xmas'!"

"What's that smell like? Dead carolers and mildewed poinsettias?" (I probably do not need to explain that my boyfriend is a smartass.)

"No, it's . . . I don't remember offhand. Eggnog and pudding or something. Here, just smell it."

I waved the wand under his nose. He blinked, then leaned forward. "Hey, that smells good."

I dabbed some on. But it just wasn't working--you know that moment when a smell just doesn't "click" with your chemistry? Yeah, that's it. Meanwhile the boyfriend is slathering it up with the Gothic Xmas, and it smells . . . Good. Really, really good. Spicy, but not too spicy; not too creamy or sweet or rich, but somehow a touch of all of those things. On me, the scent has dried down into a pleasant but unremarkable sweetness, but on him it smells . . . Well, for lack of a better word, edible.

So my boyfriend walks out of the house later with my brand-new sample in his front pocket, and this is why I will NOT be celebrating a "Gothic Xmas" this year . . .

Then again, maybe I will. :blink:

I like this one too - but on me it comes out a little differently.

Wet it is sweet buttery vanilla followed swiftly with the kick of rum. The rum fades back a bit and there is a little spice in the background, it could be nutmeg, it's not overpowering it's soft and well blended.

After an hour or two, I still get the vanilla, and hint of rum, but - for some reason - it also has the tang of sweet apple and spice.

It's really lovely - but I am not sure where the apple comes from, not that I am complaining.

By the way this also has a good "throw" people seem to notice it and it lasts well - even on my scent-eating skin. :blink:

May

• 10 months later...

This one is wonderfully complex. I can smell the amber, fig and buttered rum. There is also a wonderful sweetness and just a hint of tart in the background. I can tell the green is there, but it is not at all what I thought it would be when I read that there was fir in it. The green is very subtle and yummy.

• 3 years later...

I never had the opportunity to try the original, but this rebrew is wonderfully yummy, rich and creamy. The greenery is more of a hint on the top for me, I know it's there but the gourmand element is the strongest part for me. The honey mead is the heart of it, with the other notes contributing to the festive feel. It reminds me a bit of Stealing Xmas in that it's that same sort of "holiday in a bottle" but it's more smooth and warm, I would say.

Interested to read comparisons from those who have the original!

• 4 weeks later...

Wet this is AMAZINGGGGG OMG I love this when I first put it on, it's sweet and delicious like creamy goodness... then as it dries down I get what I am thinking is fig, because it's soft and warm which is the same note in Carolyin's Fig . Very soft and faint.

It starts off pretty damn amazing and all the foody yummy notes are there, followed by a faint fuzzy fig.

I'm going to keep retrying in the hopes that the beginning will want to stay and play on my skin

• 5 weeks later...

Creamy and nutty at the top with the greenery in the background. After about 5 minutes something changes and smells almost acidic like powdered vitamin c. Creamy figgyiness moves to the back. It's pleasant but I am not sure it's me.

Creamy and nutty at the top with the greenery in the background. After about 5 minutes something changes and smells almost acidic like powdered vitamin c. Creamy figgyiness moves to the back. It's pleasant but I am not sure it's me.

It did the same thing to me when I retested something sharp came to the front that wasn't warm fuzzy fig like in the beginning. Maybe it was some type of floral that I haven't noticed before.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sampling all of the Xmas Scents....Gothic Xmas smells really pretty in the bottle. It has a juicy smell to me. When I first applied it ...it was so faint on my wrists that I couldn't smell anything. It was like the fragrance disappeared. Two hours later I started to get a little headache. The next day I wore it and others told me for some reason that I smelled very loudly of lemon/lime. The bummer was that I kept feeling a bit of nausea. The third day it started to smell nicer and sweeter on me, but I was still getting some nausea even if it was ever so slight. I will say that by the third day the fragrance did last a really long time and I could smell it more. I don't know which ingredient it was that made me feel "seasick"

• 6 months later...

Mara sent this to me as a gift--squee!!

Okay so lemmee see, The fig is super sharp in this one! Its like the fig was lightly marinated in rum, the greenery is also a little loud but the liquored fig is #1!

I dont pick up any creaminess, its definitely christmas in a bottle. It kinda gives me a head ache but i think thats because im expecting it to morph super fast so im inhaling a ton lol. I can really see myself wearing this especially around the holidays(or spray it on my mini fake christmas tree)

Its pretty foody to me--in a way-i think--maybe-- but i found out recently that im madly in love with fig :kiss43:

Edited by Anonymous2F

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting all year to wear this one! I accumulated a few sniffees & samps throughout the year and fell in love. It's a spicy chestnut with a little hint of green on me. I picture being snuggled up by a blazing fireplace in a mountain lodge whenever I get a whiff of this.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this one as a surprise in my last order. It doesn't smell anything like I thought it would. Judging by the name, I thought it would be way dark & mysterious, but it's actually light and very pretty on me, a pleasant surprise. I'll get a lot of wear out of this one this time of year! Thank you! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving this one. It's light, sweet and creamy and ends up smelling like some kind of delicious biscuit on me. I don't get any green scents from it at all. It's nice to have a Christmas-y scent that's light enough to wear in summer.

• 10 months later...
Guest cutie.pie

To me this one is very similar to Cauldron Cake, I guess it's allspice what I'm smelling and I love allspice. It's very foody and yummy :P

• 1 month later...

Wow, SO much spice and lots of lovely fir! Also something that reads as just perfumey to my nose that I can't place otherwise. Maybe that's down to the fig. It smells like being in the centre of the Christmas section of a scented candle shop: a mix of all the proper Christmas smells. No cream, no nuts, but that's not a bad thing at all. Such foody Christmas notes are lovely (hello, Garland & Lace) but it's also nice to wear something seasonal that doesn't make me smell like a plate of sweets.