Gretna Green

mountainwitch

AD-GretnaGreen-sm_.jpg

Gretna Green

Our scented tribute to the famous Scottish town of "runaway marriages", Gretna Green, whose official symbols include several plants we associate with the Holiday Season, most notably, Mistletoe! A romantic scent for encouraging kissing, and more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
MISTLETOE ~ Protection, love, fertility, health, exorcism.
EVERGREENS ~ Fertility, purification, strength, rejuvenation, calming and soothing, healing, protection, money, long life.
FIG ~ Wisdom, fertility, love, luck, protection, aids restful sleep, divination. Feminine sexuality.
STEPHANOTIS ~ Promotes happiness in marriage, stimulates desire to travel.
ORANGE BLOSSOM ~ Strong 'magnet' to attract men; eternal love, marriage, fruitfulness, thoughtfulness, happiness, tribute.
JONQUIL ~ Love, affection returned, desire, sympathy.
HEATHER ~ Admiration and beauty; protection, especially over women and virtue. Peace, beginnings, elemental magic, wishes granted.
HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.
FERMENTED ALCOHOLS: WINE, BEER, HARD LIQUOR, ETC ~ Intoxicant, used as an offering or appeasement for Gods, used in love spells, and celebratory spells.
MILK/BUTTER/CREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.
CLOVER ~ Protection, preservation of youth, fidelity. Healing, soothing, luck.
BALSAM ~ Fertility, purification, strength, rejuvenation, calming and soothing, healing, protection, money, long life.
MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
AMBERGRIS ~ Increases personal power, heightens sexual responses, dreaming.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
CINNAMON ~ Male sexual stimulation, passion, lust, healing, protection, energy, creativity, psychic powers.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts; sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money. Meditative and transforming.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our lovely Scottish green scent features a heart of Mistletoe (and its white berries are symbolized by a hint of ambergris), within a beautiful wedding bouquet of stephanotis (a traditional marriage blossom), bluebell, heather and wild clover, then made sweet and celebratory with a toast of honey mead to the happy couple.

Full list of notes: MISTLETOE, EVERGREENS, FIG, STEPHANOTIS, ORANGE BLOSSOM, JONQUIL, HEATHER, HONEY, FERMENTED ALCOHOLS, MILK/BUTTER/CREAM, CLOVER, BALSAM, MUSK, AMBERGRIS, VANILLA, CINNAMON, PATCHOULI

Don't let the list of notes scare you; Gretna is a light and joyous fragrance, but with a lovely depth. Sometimes I'm afraid of the "green" Yule-time scents, and I even had a blend named "Mistletoe" from another company once that really did not work for me at all.

Gretna Green, on the other hand, is everything I would want from a mistletoe scent. The green is there, and there's a touch of earthiness, but it's just so balanced and pleasant.

There is so much sweet foodiness this December update that I'm wonderfully overwhelmed. But don't overlook the Gretna Green!

This is a beautiful surprise winner! If you think you don't like anything green, that mistletoe will smell like a holiday candle....Gretna Green proves it all wrong. It starts out as a festive burst of mistletoe; cool but not sharp, green but not grassy, with that typical piney undertone of mistletoe which is subdued and not masculine. As it dries down, the lovely thick sweetness of the honey mead emerges more and more until the mistletoe takes a backseat to it and it all melds into one simulataneously warm and cool softly glowing scent. If you're a naysayer to green, you need to try this!

Wait, you mean there's no Bayberry in this???? I smell Bayberry on me :w00t: . Very strange.......I love Bayberry, so, even if it's not.....I still like it. let's just see if it stands the test of time. I really hope it doesn't turn on me....

• 2 months later...

This is soooo green on me, which isn't surprising as I tend to amp those notes. Seriously. all the green and floral and spice is right there, and none of the sweetness. Sadly I can't wear those kinds of scents, and interestingly even Quince thought it wasn't him, "Too piney," he said. I think he was just afraid that if he wore it, he might start thinking about marriage. :wub:

• 8 months later...

This is such a wonderful fragrance!

It is definitely a green scent, but it is still very subtle on me once it dries down. There is a small hint of spice that comes through too. I think it is a faint touch of cinnamon. It makes me think of a cozy room with a Christmas tree in front of a fire. That might be the mistletoe part coming through. It makes me want to snuggle :Hug_emoticon:

Normally I would not pick a green scent, but this one is not intimidating or overwhelming at all. I like it very much and I am thinking about maybe getting a second little bottle.

i got one on my trade if you are interested.

This one is lovely but i find i dont reach for it as often as i thought i would. I think it became just a touch to green for my evolving tastes. If your are into green this is a wonderful one to have

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This is such a wonderful fragrance!

It is definitely a green scent, but it is still very subtle on me once it dries down. There is a small hint of spice that comes through too. I think it is a faint touch of cinnamon. It makes me think of a cozy room with a Christmas tree in front of a fire. That might be the mistletoe part coming through. It makes me want to snuggle :Hug_emoticon:

Normally I would not pick a green scent, but this one is not intimidating or overwhelming at all. I like it very much and I am thinking about maybe getting a second little bottle.

Perfect description. I think this is a lovely scent. When first applied it smelled 'green' but, not grassy at all. Once dry the Mistletoe was lightly present, not overwhelming. Reminds me of winter holidays. Interesting no sign of patchouli...yet. Wearing to work today, subtle and not overpowering.

• 1 year later...

This review is quiet! I had worn Gretna Green again this winter after accidentally forgetting that I had it. I still think this one is lovely, never thought I'd like to wear mistletoe but it agrees with my body chemistry. It's still a green scent but not piney, almost floral. It's a soft scent that lingers and isn't cloying either. Very feminine

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This scent is really interesting. I wore it a couple of days ago, but I was sick so I tried it again today. The first day I tried it, I thought it smelled sort of like licorice at first, but I didn't really get that today. Which is good because I'm not a big fan of licorice, lol.

Today, I really smell the cinnamon, which isn't my favourite note, either, but I like the way the other notes tone it down. In particular, I think the cream note adds a nice balance.

I don't think it's a scent that is quite "me," but it is really interesting and I love the concept of all these notes together that you wouldn't normally see together.