Flapper

scourger

Prominent notes include: Lady of the Night, climbing Florals, Damascus Rose, Sweet and Black Ambers, Red Musk, spicy Neroli and Pepper, and a variety of Woods.

Wow, just wow.

In the bottle: sparkling, light, woody floral.

On wet: Oh my. This was meant to be worn. (If it smells too light, or too delicate in the bottle, don't let that put you off. Try it on!) The floral is hard to pin down, it has the roundness of roses, the sweetness of honesuckle, and an uplifting citrus note. The other notes keep this from being a feminine floral, making it remeniscent of an old fashioned cologne recipe, but so much more vivacious. It has a, je ne sais quoi, which immediately conjures up one of my favorite bars. (No, it isn't just the label and description, there's a scent memory here too.)

Drydown: Spicy, rich, still slightly floral, slightly citrus. Elegant, and a little bit wild. (On me, the red musk blooms more as time passes, but the scent is still wearable. Yay!)

I really love this! It's flirty, fun, and captures the best of yester-year.

That's my reaction to the Edison...wow...just wow! I'd *love* to go there...it looks amazing!

Really, this scent captures so much of the experience. Slather it on, sit in a leather chair, charge yourself $14 for a glass of champagne mixed with beer, and you've got it. :) (Ah, we lubs LA drink prices.)

Wow, just wow.

On wet: Oh my. This was meant to be worn. (If it smells too light, or too delicate in the bottle, don't let that put you off. Try it on!) The floral is hard to pin down, it has the roundness of roses, the sweetness of honesuckle, and an uplifting citrus note. The other notes keep this from being a feminine floral, making it remeniscent of an old fashioned cologne recipe, but so much more vivacious. It has a, je ne sais quoi, which immediately conjures up one of my favorite bars. (No, it isn't just the label and description, there's a scent memory here too.)

Drydown: Spicy, rich, still slightly floral, slightly citrus. Elegant, and a little bit wild. (On me, the red musk blooms more as time passes, but the scent is still wearable. Yay!)

Heck, if the website is that amazing... what's the bar like?? :)

May

I have a sample of this one on its way.....can't wait.....

Wow, just wow.

It is very interesting...the second i put it on, I had a very vivid physical memory to it. Like, laughter and cognac. :(

Anyways...I got this strange, heavy slap of bitter orange mixed with amber or something. it reminds of me of something one would find in a cut glass spritzer ball bottle next to the dusting powder and garter belt lying on the vanity.

it was really strong at first, then calmed down to a reaaaaly good musky, powdery bittersweet i like.

OK, so I decided to wear this lovely today......this is indeed unusual, and very pretty.....I really could picture this scent lingering after being spritzed on by a very vivacious lady......I think you captured the scent of that era (or what I would imagine it would have been) very nicely.....

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this, and on me it just reminded me too much of my grandma's rooms, I kept having flashes of her heavy furniture and the red leather jewelry boxes...

So I put it in the "try it if you want" bowl .... HOLY SMOKES! The DH tried it and it smells fantastic on him. Starts out a spicy floral snap, and dries down to a spicy amber, and even after 8 hours, his wrist smells of spice and soft musk...He says "it just makes me feel all happy" Cute.

And it has throw! I visited his office the other day and thought gee it smells really nice in here. He was kind of nonplussed as to what it might be - so I smelled his neck...It was Flapper.

He wore it all this weekend and it is scrumptious. This one goes on his full bottle list.

I tried this, and on me it just reminded me too much of my grandma's rooms, I kept having flashes of her heavy furniture and the red leather jewelry boxes...

So I put it in the "try it if you want" bowl .... HOLY SMOKES! The DH tried it and it smells fantastic on him. Starts out a spicy floral snap, and dries down to a spicy amber, and even after 8 hours, his wrist smells of spice and soft musk...He says "it just makes me feel all happy" Cute.

And it has throw! I visited his office the other day and thought gee it smells really nice in here. He was kind of nonplussed as to what it might be - so I smelled his neck...It was Flapper.

He wore it all this weekend and it is scrumptious. This one goes on his full bottle list.

Pony?

This is probably a really, really daft question but what does "DH" stand for? "Dear Husband"? "Desirable Hunk"? or something else?

:huh:

May

Dearest Husband. Darling Husband.

Sorry - a holdover from an equestrian board where they are all dearest husbands, especially when they are stoically suffering yet another round of outrageous horsey-related expenses.

Dearest Husband. Darling Husband.

Sorry - a holdover from an equestrian board where they are all dearest husbands, especially when they are stoically suffering yet another round of outrageous horsey-related expenses.

Aha! Now that explains it! Thanks Pony, I'd been wondering for ages... :huh:

May

You know, it hadn't occurred to me to try this one on a guy, but now you mention it I can really see how that would work!

Thanks Pony!

;)

May

I've already fallen in love with the art on the bottle! :rainman:

May

Fabulous, isn't it?

Artist:

F X Leyendecker (Frank Xavier)

(1876 - 1924)

The piece was entitled "Flapper", and appeared as a Life magazine cover in 1922.

Found the art after conceiving of the perfume of the same name, and just couldn't pass it up.

As much of his work is now available in the public domain, we've paid ode to a couple more - this month's Hera's Eye perfume (his title was "The Rivals"), and next month's Turkish Delight perfume (his title, The Nectarine).

Thank you for your wonderful words, Pony! I travelled with you through that entire experience and enjoyed all of it. I loved the visual of "grandma's rooms" and into the present with your "DH". You painted a vivid picture in a few short sentences, with the scent in my mind as the backdrop, like a song. Very cute!

Fabulous, isn't it?

Artist:

F X Leyendecker (Frank Xavier)

(1876 - 1924)

The piece was entitled "Flapper", and appeared as a Life magazine cover in 1922.

Found the art after conceiving of the perfume of the same name, and just couldn't pass it up.

As much of his work is now available in the public domain, we've paid ode to a couple more - this month's Hera's Eye perfume (his title was "The Rivals"), and next month's Turkish Delight perfume (his title, The Nectarine).

Ooh a hint about a perfume for next month! Sounds yummy, I've been after a chocolate-dipped Turkish Delight perfume for ages.. One of the reasons I like Dominance so much... I think I will have to try the new one, if it has a chocolate note or not. :rainman:

May

• 4 weeks later...

THis one reminds me of soap, it is a nice scented soap but I am not sure why I am not loving this scent..OMG I figured it out! It smells like the soap that my mom use to use to wash my mouth out when I said a bad word!!! :arf: Well looks like I will have to put this one on the back burner. It has such nice notes in it perhaps I will find a good perfume to mix it with. I dont want to give it away because despite the negative memory :( the scent is a nice one

He says "it just makes me feel all happy" Cute.

Awww...I love it when guys have that kind of reaction. My OTL (one true love) said the same thing about the original Monsieur Balmain; his dad used to wear it and when he was a teenager he couldn't resist trying it himself, and now he forever associates that scent with happiness (actually, pathos might be a better description since it was discontinued).

• 2 years later...

I love this! Warm, light, resinous, and it is doing wonderful floral things on my skin. "Happy" (from previous poster) is a great description. I wish I could hop in my time machine and go back a year or two for all the fabulous blends I missed.

• 3 years later...

With thanks to the lovely talented incredibly kind tyvey I got to try this (as it's one of those I missed during the early years of my LP addiction) and this part of Mara's description:

It's bold and slightly, daringly, androgynous. Elegant, and evocative of the rich, classic perfumes of the era.

seems to sum it up perfectly! It's complex and sophisticated in a unisex way and there is something a wee bit soapy about it on me, but I really do feel like I should be in a Phryne Fisher novel (my favorite cozy mystery series set in the late 1920s) being a gay young thing in a beaded dress and a cloche. Spicy and flowery and rich and deep!