Raqs Sharqi

katz

Well...I am 99.9% sure that I am not a) beautiful enough :( mysterious enough to really *wear* this scent...BUT! It makes me want to try!

This is a scent to inspire poetry, gypsy songs, to make men mad with desire! It makes me want to don beautifully colored, daring clothes with *just* the right amount of flesh exposed - scented in these attars which waft from me in waves as I dance! It's a scent to wear and have men come to you, not really knowing why or how they're drawn! It makes me want to have a string of exotic lovers, rooms full of silks and pillows...

This is a scent to wear on a super-special date with the love of your life...swept off in the night to some fabulous restaurant and then some amazing surprise... Perhaps drift off in the moonlight on his sailboat....or whisk away on his private jet to Paris for the weekend.

However, tonight I will be ambling off to the local pool hall, with dreams of far-away places, and yearning in my heart for the lovliness this inspires. At least I put on some eyeliner and lipstick -it deserves that much! :lol:

Well after a review like that.... there isn't much I can say to add. It's a very nice incensy scent, though oddly mild on my skin. I have to really slather it on to smell it. I like it and think it would definitely be a good performance scent. I might get a big bottle.

Though I am not a dancer I ordered this anyway. Hearing that it had some pretty special attars in it made me very curious.

I DO like this but I also experience this as more mild than I was expecting. I was expecting something with a bit more throw and longevity..sorta like Raven De La Croix's Secret weapon. There are some notes in common to both,so if you like the Secret weapon scent you will probably like this too.

The scent is wonderful..I must try it a few more times this month to determine if there is some cyclic skin chemistry thing affecting the strength of the scent right now before deciding if this is a bottle purchase for me.

OK, so I tried this one.....even though I can't pronounce it. :( It is very nice, but also lighter than I expected. I like it though. Actually, it smells much like Rajah does on me. Rajah is much stronger on initial application, but as it wears it mellows to a scent very similar to this one.

Dolly- It's like Racks Shark-ee. I'm glad to hear it's mellow on other peoples skin as well. I know that my skin is super acidic and can sometimes eat through fragrances. I can definitely smell the common elements with Raven's Secret Weapon.

Thanks for the help with that...... :( ......yes, it is very mellow on me. I like it......very pleasant. I've never tried Raven's Secret Weapon, but to me it smells like Rajah that has been worn for awhile.

Thanks for the help with that...... :) ......yes, it is very mellow on me. I like it......very pleasant. I've never tried Raven's Secret Weapon, but to me it smells like Rajah that has been worn for awhile.

I really love Raven's Secret Weapon and it seems to work for me quite well.... both as a scent for working with the kids and as a scent which is quite appealing on me. I have had many compliments when wearing it ;) Works well paired with Sugared Babe, as well.

To me, this one is fruitier/rosier than RSW. It isn't exactly lighter on me, just a bit sweeter.

In the bottle: Exotic Middle-Eastern incense and dusty silks.

On, wet: This one totally blossoms. When it hits my skin, a rounded sweetness comes out, not unlike the merlot and roses combination that I love in Wine and Dead Roses, but with the added complexity of the Indian incense.

Drydown: A little duskier, but still sweet and complex. (As opposed to RSW, which turns into feral dusky stank. This one is much more wearable for me.)

Well...I am 99.9% sure that I am not a) beautiful enough :) mysterious enough to really *wear* this scent...BUT! It makes me want to try!

This is a scent to inspire poetry, gypsy songs, to make men mad with desire! It makes me want to don beautifully colored, daring clothes with *just* the right amount of flesh exposed - scented in these attars which waft from me in waves as I dance! It's a scent to wear and have men come to you, not really knowing why or how they're drawn! It makes me want to have a string of exotic lovers, rooms full of silks and pillows...

This is a scent to wear on a super-special date with the love of your life...swept off in the night to some fabulous restaurant and then some amazing surprise... Perhaps drift off in the moonlight on his sailboat....or whisk away on his private jet to Paris for the weekend.

However, tonight I will be ambling off to the local pool hall, with dreams of far-away places, and yearning in my heart for the lovliness this inspires. At least I put on some eyeliner and lipstick -it deserves that much! ;)

Of COURSE you are lovely enough! I was a bellydancer for over 20 years, in nightclub shows. It's ALLLLLLLLLL illusion. Well. mist of it. ;) And, most of us never got over playing dress up. You wouldn't notice some of the biggest starts, if you saw them on the streets-- BELIEVE me! Some of the finest dancers are downright mousy, off-stage!

Little story from my early years as a student ot Marta Schill's--- class was breaking up. I had come to class in full costume (because I wanted to :-) The husband of one of the beginning students came to pick her up. He looked at me..........

I took her aside, and said, "Honey, you don't really need the class." (She had been ruminating about not having the time) All you need is the COSTUME." ;)

OK, so I tried this one.....even though I can't pronounce it. :lol: It is very nice, but also lighter than I expected. I like it though. Actually, it smells much like Rajah does on me. Rajah is much stronger on initial application, but as it wears it mellows to a scent very similar to this one.

SURE you can pronounce it!

Rocks SHAR kee "Raqs" means "Dance."

Of COURSE you are lovely enough! I was a bellydancer for over 20 years, in nightclub shows. It's ALLLLLLLLLL illusion. Well. mist of it. :lol: And, most of us never got over playing dress up. You wouldn't notice some of the biggest starts, if you saw them on the streets-- BELIEVE me! Some of the finest dancers are downright mousy, off-stage!

Little story from my early years as a student ot Marta Schill's--- class was breaking up. I had come to class in full costume (because I wanted to :-) The husband of one of the beginning students came to pick her up. He looked at me..........

I took her aside, and said, "Honey, you don't really need the class." (She had been ruminating about not having the time) All you need is the COSTUME." ;)

LMAO!

May

Since several of you are saying this is coming off light on you, and it is coming off light on me too (of course on Danna, it's overpowering) I am going to amp this one up a bit. I think the dilution mellowed it more than I expected over the weeks that it matured. I'm going to double up the recipe without adding any further dilution, so anything ordered from here on should be quite a bit stronger, ok?

Yes, I saw that but wasn't sure how I was supposed to put that on my order when I place it for the whole sample pack. You want me to put it in the notes section of Paypal (assuming it gives me a notes section; sometimes that hasn't been there) or email you after?

The avatar is by Jonathon Earl Bowser at http://www.jonathonart.com/ . STUNNING goddess artwork! Love his stuff!

Darbla

Ooooh, Jonathon Earl Bowser is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing his link. I'd never heard of him before. His work is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

You actually don't have to do a thing, Darbla - I will automatically include the bottle in your next order. Thanks for the wonderful idea! :lol: You always come up with good ones. Keep it up!

Since several of you are saying this is coming off light on you, and it is coming off light on me too (of course on Danna, it's overpowering) I am going to amp this one up a bit. I think the dilution mellowed it more than I expected over the weeks that it matured. I'm going to double up the recipe without adding any further dilution, so anything ordered from here on should be quite a bit stronger, ok?

I just gave this one to the Chloe Bear (Yay! She's moving in town... no longer 6 hours away from her mommy! I know it is only temporary... but I'm going to enjoy every moment I get with her!)... it smells great on her! And, on her, it is gorgeous! She smells like an incense shop, just perfectly rich and deep; it really blossoms nicely on her (but, then, she LOOKS the part with her gorgeous olive skin and raven hair). This is definitely her favorite of the new releases.

I'll be puttin' it on the Full Bottle list...asap! Guessing though this one won't be a "warm weather" scent for me, no matter *how* much I've fallen for it!

I'll be puttin' it on the Full Bottle list...asap!

Yeah, I may need a full bottle of this myself.....I really like it.....

Yeah, I may need a full bottle of this myself.....I really like it.....

Now this, THIS, is lovely. ;) It is nothing like Rajah on me where Rajah is beautiful but loud and flat resins. This is like a lace curtain soaked in different perfumes getting caught in the breeze, here a whisper of this, then a whisper of that. Where rajah marches, Sharqi shimmies.

It is lovely, and I have a feeling (just instinctual) this will improve with a bit of age and maturation. Being the galumphing unsubtle fool I am, I would have liked it to be a little less chiffony, but that works with the dance image. This is a veil of perfume, mysterious and gossamer like. Not a sledgehammer to the sinuses.

Very lovely

May

Well, that answers my previous post about it being light. I think I might have to retry this at it's stronger level. Because it is very beautiful.

May

Thanks for the compliment. :) Another artwork site I love is http://www.duirwaighgallery.com/ . Browse around there and be sure to watch "A Knock at the Duir".

Darbla !!! I went on that site, the prints are BEAUTIFUL, I guess it's stealing if I used one of the pics for an avatar ;) ! Next pay period think I'll buy one. Thanx for the site !! liz

Darbla !!! I went on that site, the prints are BEAUTIFUL, I guess it's stealing if I used one of the pics for an avatar :( ! Next pay period think I'll buy one. Thanx for the site !! liz

How do you use pics for avatars? I would love to create one...

How do you use pics for avatars? I would love to create one...

I right click (mouse) on pic to copy, the go to your "photo gallery" in windows, then left click (mouse) to paste, it's probably not the easiest way, but it works 4 me since I know nothing about computers, have you ever seen some of the special effect people use, I'm really behind the times, only had this laptop 4 6 mos. In any case, be careful of "permissions" or "copyrights". hope it works for you.

ps: you can also look up "free avatars" I like "avatarity artistic Avatars" it's free, some charge. And I do it as I suggested above. I copied one from the site that Darbla gave us, afraid to use, I owe all my $ to "Love Potion Magickal Perfumerie and Gift Shop" can't afford to get sued !

Edited by liz

I will probably order a full bottle of this since it will be more concentrated. I do so love the scent.

Ditto here......I think the full bottles of this one will probably literally fly off the shelves.....

• 2 weeks later...

May, I received the stronger version (thanks to Basil Rathbone ;) ) and it is SUPER strong! I can only wear an inch or so from the rollerball. From the sample, I could've worn probably 1/4 of the vial. Beautiful scent!

May, I received the stronger version (thanks to Basil Rathbone ;) ) and it is SUPER strong! I can only wear an inch or so from the rollerball. From the sample, I could've worn probably 1/4 of the vial. Beautiful scent!

PS... I love Basil now... :rolleyes:

May

• 1 month later...

Raqs Sharqi

In bottle: mmmm, exotic incense and spice markets.

On skin: mmm, wow. This is gorgeous! It smells like exotic musk, bazaar spices, scented silks, amber, incense and desert sand. It smells like fantasies of the Arabian Nights. It smells like travelling through the desert with a handsome sheik on a camel, then returning to a tent scented with perfumes from distant lands and scented with incense. This is wonderful! Incredibly appropriate for belly dancing, this is a dry, spicy, smoky, mysterious and magical scent. I can’t say exactly what’s in here but I do smell a musk note-maybe red musk-and sandalwood, spices of various kinds, I can smell saffron here, but I can’t say what else is in here. There’s a lovely incense scent, a hint of floral which I’m guessing is champaca-it has that fruity sweetness to it. Maybe a hint of amber too. This gets drier, a bit smokier (in an incense-y way) and a bit more musky as it dries. Something here makes me think of cloth that has captured the smoke of incense, silken veils perfumed with exotic scents. This does seem to fade into the skin, leaving a warm, spicy scent, the scent is one of dry heat, desert sunsets and busy souks with spices and perfumes. I get beautiful golden amber appearing at drydown. All the while this is sexy and enchanting. I am so glad I grabbed one of the last few bottles of this because it really is amazing…I wish it lasted longer on me, but I think aging this will improve it’s wear time. I love this one, and can see why this is a sellout scent!

I received a trial vial of the "stronger" version and it does have that great exotic feel to it, but oddly enough it reminds me primarily of Nag Champa. Like, I can't really sense anything else in the blend. But I like incense-based blends, especially when they feel true to me, as if I'm actually burning incense rather than wearing a scent.

This one is easily among the very tip top of my favorites list. I had intended to buy at least two more full size bottles to keep in stock because I'm burning through mine too quickly. Unfortunately this one sold out before I could get any back-up. I don't even have a sampler to help my one little ol' bottle along.

Woe is me.

Anyhoo, I've been very curious as to how likely this one is to be rebrewed. If the ingredients are hard or impossible to restock, I understand if this is a one time batch. If not. . .perhaps it would help to let you know I would easily and quickly stock up bottles (yes that's plural) at a time to make it worth your while. I love this scent and greatly regret not buying more than the one bottle while I could.

• 3 years later...

I recently got to try Raqs Sharqi thanks to a generous forumite who sent me a sample in a trade (dank u wel, Gaia! :ange: )

First impression: this is a dry scent. It has that almost severe feel that straight attars tend to have - on my skin, there is no sweetness, no florals or woodsy notes; nothing but attars, in all their glorious dry richness.

It reminds me of incense burning in a metaphysical bookshop, the smoke mingling with the dryness of the paper.

• 7 months later...

This one is so lovely and exotic - on my skin, it's a dry, sweet incense. Just so beautiful. I wish my incense box smelled like this (it's such a mish-mash of jumbled scents) Although this is not something I would probably wear, I love it!