Portmanteau W/Perfect Match

So I knew what I was doing in springing for a bottle of this right away because as I guessed, it is in the same vein as Unisexy :bday1029: and I'm in love. Don't get scared off by the pine and spruce and cedar (and believe me, cedar is one of my scariest notes), because they aren't the strong and manly type. They're actaully very subued and it's more of the teak and sandalwood that I get, and these are soft enough to really allow the vanillas and musky amber to shine through with a hint of patchouli. The vanilla notes here are amazing--they put the whole scent just on the edge of gourmand though not exactly foody, but still with that certain deliciousness that you find in Unisexy and Bayou Musk, two of my all-time favorite LPs. As it keeps drying down everything just melds together into one smooth sensual blend. I haven't had the chance to test-drive Perfect Match yet, but as for the scent I love it, love it, love it.

I was JUST going to write a glowing review of this one today, Invidiana! I *love* it too! It's a very wearable unisex scent, the musks gentle the wood notes and make it SO delicious! It's like a cozy soft sage green scent..I'd love it on a guy too - but I LOVE it on me!

Me too. I haven't tested PM with Quince so I'm hoping this will be the right scent for doing so.

Y'all didn't try Allumette? I was surprised that my SO liked that one because it's sweeter, but he does.

I can say that it's really fun to wear PM with your other half. The blend seems most congruent for this type of wear in my experience.

Thanks for the review! I was interested in what this one smelled like and I really do like the Perfect Match phero blend. Something in it reminds me of the Human Velcro effect I'd get when I wore P83 from Androtics. Sounds like a winning combination!

I was JUST going to write a glowing review of this one today, Invidiana! I *love* it too! It's a very wearable unisex scent, the musks gentle the wood notes and make it SO delicious! It's like a cozy soft sage green scent..I'd love it on a guy too - but I LOVE it on me!

I'm looking forward to your review katz. I'm still new to the forum may need a little help in finding where you decide to post.

It's a really tricky one for me to describe! It's a close-to-your skin scent - does not project a lot. Considering what you favor, you might want a bolder scent than this, as3. This is more of a nuzzle-him-to-get-closer and catch your delicousness type scent. It's smooooooth...green, but not sharp green. Vanilla, (but not a buttery foody one) blends seamlessly with the musks to make this very "soft" in my mind. Snuggly, very! As it dries down, I'm getting more of the dry woods..but again, they are subtle and make me want to sniff MORE.

It's a really tricky one for me to describe! It's a close-to-your skin scent - does not project a lot. Considering what you favor, you might want a bolder scent than this, as3. This is more of a nuzzle-him-to-get-closer and catch your delicousness type scent. It's smooooooth...green, but not sharp green. Vanilla, (but not a buttery foody one) blends seamlessly with the musks to make this very "soft" in my mind. Snuggly, very! As it dries down, I'm getting more of the dry woods..but again, they are subtle and make me want to sniff MORE.

Thanks for the report. Yeah I need something just a little more out there in reach. Give me suggestion of a product with 10 feet in range and i will be happy.

Edited by as33156

I honestly don't know that Mara makes anything that "loud," although if you used any of them in spray form you would get more projection, certainly. Because this is oil-based artisan fragrance it has a different philosophy of construction and feel to it than commerical-based scent. The more robust scents are Voracious and Excaliber, IMO.

I honestly don't know that Mara makes anything that "loud," although if you used any of them in spray form you would get more projection, certainly. Because this is oil-based artisan fragrance it has a different philosophy of construction and feel to it than commerical-based scent. The more robust scents are Voracious and Excaliber, IMO.

Thanks a lot Luna65,

I was planning on ordering spray form of the products I like of the sampler, but I have a gut feeling that I will end up with a dresser counter overrun with LP products. I'm trying to contain the itch to make another buy before I first test out my LP products currently in transit. It's very hard though.

Edited by as33156

Oh this fragrance was delightful! I know that Perfect Match has had positive fx on my BFF so I was confident in that. When I put on the Portmanteau last night (it was late, I wanted something that wouldn't necessarily wake me up, but be soothing, and the ingredients list indicated that) it was just wonderful! I got EVERYTHING all at once in the wet stage! All the nommable vanilla, the incense-y and musky goodness, underlain by whiffs of evergreen! It dried down just as beautifully, just as harmoniously! This is gonna be a fave! Wearing this around the BFF, I can tell you!

I love every single note in this and I loved it in the vial, but on my skin, it turned extremely masculine. :cry: That said...I would love to slather this on a man and press my face against him. The cedar note is to die for!

Edited by BlueBear

As3, the oil based scents actually have great throw on my husband, because he runs hot. If he sprays Voracious in the bedroom, I can smell it in the living room. The scents here have sillage, but it's more a "come hither" feel, opposed to an assault on my nasal cavities. When he sprays LPs on I get delicious wafts of scent that make me want to get closer to him, so I can get a nose-full. When he sprays something like Hugo Boss, I think he smells nice, but it's strong in comparison & I have no need to move in closer to him because I can smell him quite distinctly all over the house.

Yeah see I couldn't even suggest anything like that because:

-a- I honestly believe Mara doesn't make anything which does has that kind of throw, whereas Beccah's description is more accurate to the LPMP characteristic.

-b- Intellectually I cannot parse the concept because I find it highly offensive. The concept, mind you, not your desire to purchase a fragrance which achieves that aim.

As a unisex blend this works for me definitely better than some others in regards to the way it's blended but in the wet stage the sandalwood is still a little sharp (pointy). However, the drydown is that soft "barely there" quality like you would get from TMI and it's great for situations when you know wearing a stronger scent is not going to be appropriate or desired. I'm thinking Quince will like this because it starts out green but the vanilla is not too sweet. I'm not really getting any kind of euphoric feeling from Perfect Match but that might be because I've got a bit of a headache from the sandalwood.

Ooh I love this so very much. Wet it smells like a gentleman from The Great Gatsby.. to die for. A nice clean shaven, old worldly type of scent that you don't get in fragrances now a days. As it dries down it becomes mellow and clings to you like a nice after thought, a warm night cap. This smells very expensive and rich to me. I love it. Reminds me of the unisex version of Cats Eye- in that type of expensive caliber perfume scent. This also reminds me of Halo's Lavender Dream Musk. Like this version is the vintage version and Halo's would be the super sexy 2011 version.

I also love that a little goes a long way, you do not need a lot to get the scent. It's very long lasting.

• 3 weeks later...

This smells expensive...elegant......classy...and unisex...isn't that just perfect? It has a vintage vibe, but it also has a modernist vibe going on...I wouldn't describe it as sexy, but as sensual...incredibly sensual...I imagine this is a fragrance a diva like Nicole Kidman would wear...

The Musk in Portmanteau is SUPERB....it is a close to the skin Musk, I think it smells a bit leathery and bit like real human skin smells...so this is in my opinion the perfect Skin Musk...I didn't get any green musk, but maybe that is the note that blends so well with the Egyptian musk and gives it that super elegant aura...

The cedar, the sandalwood and the pine are always present but they are never loud and they float around the skin musky vanilla accords..The vanilla on me is very mild, like almost not there, but it complements the musk amazingly...The musk is the star here, oh and it shines!

I think Portmanteau is not just another pretty scent, it stands out because it has a bold, elegant personality, it evokes a strong emotion and it sticks to anyone's olfactory memories...

It does have good-average lasting power on me, but the projection is not the greatest...However, I think the musk notes are the ones that will be pulling everyone so close to you, that the sillage/projection is not that important...

About the Perfect Match in this, I'm loving the self-effects I'm getting...it calms and soothes me, its a PMS killer big time ...

This one is sooo Full Bottle worthy...

Initial blast of black pepper, then a warm lemon (I know that seems contradictory but so it was), settled quickly into something suave, mellow, complex. This is soooo Gatsby. Smooth, grown-up, tweed, cocktails in the wood-paneled library as Cole Porter tickles the ivories. Yes, this flashed me into Midnight in Paris. I can feel the pearls on my neck. Conventionally feminine-pretty and coolly androgynous at the same time; it's a pixie cut. Not my usual thing, but a must for a well-diversified scent arsenal.

The PM is smoothing me out on a day that has already been full of petty annoyances, and I'm certain it's making me able to doggedly persist in my positivity which has flagged a bit of late. Don't *need* a bottle but wouldn't turn one down :D

Edited by tyvey

This is soooo Gatsby. Smooth, grown-up, tweed, cocktails in the wood-paneled library as Cole Porter tickles the ivories. Yes, this flashed me into Midnight in Paris. I can feel the pearls on my neck. Conventionally feminine-pretty

n :D

I totally get it. I felt the same way. Very Sherlocky too.

OMG WTF

I've never worn PM around a lot of people (that I recall), but today, unmistakable hits (with men) left & right to the point that I'm a little freaked out. You know the opening number of HELLO, DOLLY! ? Yeah, that's happening, and I'm Dolly. Not sexual really, just wide-eyed, smiley appreciative DIHLs, double & triple takes, but not in a omg celeb! way like Cougar- more like their long lost first love. Total strangers are smiling and saying hi (TRUST me, this is very bizarre in my context). It is almost too much- bugging me out. Some hits with women too, but different-- they visibly relax and smile for no reason (?!)

Posting here instead of in "PM" because I strongly suspect it's the scent & congruence at least as much as PM itself.

Posting here instead of in "PM" because I strongly suspect it's the scent & congruence at least as much as PM itself.

There ya go :) ...I believe this more and more! The projection of how a scent makes you feel is a huge part of the fun :hearts09793:

I think this smells better on Quince than me, he sort of shrugged at it, and said, "It's pine?" But he would wear it because it's low-key and I think it's got a nice warm quality on his skin. I fear it may always be a bit too sharp for me.

This smells luscious in the vial but during dry down it turns a little more masculine than I like. Later on it turns to plastic, I believe it's the vanilla that my skin doesn't like at all : ( Thats okay though, still loving my Allumette and now I have a stocking stuffer for somebody lucky.

Love the smell of this...was afraid it would be too masculine for me, because things like the unisex scents from Calvin Kline, etc. I am not crazy about, but this mellows beautifully on my skin. As far as pheromone effects, SO was very attentive, more cuddly than overtly "I want you now" like he is from other pheros. However, I found myself MUCH more emotional and teary. Like everything was bringing tears to my eyes. This is not normal for me. Anyone else have this experience??

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I so wanted to love Portmanteau. I suspected I might not; I'm not a spruce or pine fan. At least not on my skin. I love cedar. I adore sandalwood essential oil, and I really wanted to try the Perfect Match phero. But I just cannot do it with this perfume. I'm sad because it hates me. I shouldn't be sad, since the majority of 'pheromas' that I've tried have smelled wicked-awesome on me. This just smells wicked.

I thought I might be able to look past the stabbiness of it if my boyfriend liked the scent. But he said it made me smell like Sears without the burning eyes. So no dice.

I think I remember Luna saying it was very 'pointy' on her. That's exactly how it is on me too. Sad.

Love the label though! *SO* Gatsby!

Truth is, I love all of those woody scents. I usually use aged sandalwood eo, too, which makes it a little mellower on the skin. I think I would cry if I couldn't wear it. It's a comfort scent for me. Reminds me of my mom. When I was a kid she used to throw the windows open every Saturday, no matter the season, light some sandalwood incense, and clean the house from top to bottom. When I smelled the incense, I knew it was a good morning to stay iin bed. Otherwise she would have put me to work! Lol!

Maybe I should hold onto this for a while, and see if it mellows?

Well yeah, I always recommend giving all scents more than one try.

I love wood notes as well (one of my PEs is a wood blend), sandalwood is really the only one which can turn on me, not all sources, but some give me a migraine.

I usually only wear Indian Mysore Sandalwood, (notice how I capitalized 'Sandalwood', like it's a god? hehe). But I haven't bought it in a long time because it's getting really expensive, and it's endangered. Boo.

I'm sorry you get migraine from it.That sucks a whole lot! I get them too, though they're not triggered by scents, thank goodness...

• 1 month later...

I love this stuff! I didn't think I would, especially after I tried it the first time. I thought it was too manly/woodsy, but I persevered (mostly because I wanted the phero blend to wear around my TG. Turns out, it was a good call on my part to keep trying it. I think it was the third wearing that really made me actually like it for it's scent. I don't think I appreciated the complexity of it right off the bat. I don't think I can describe it very well, but I definitely get a woody scent on my skin, and while it starts off a little sharp, it very quickly morphs into something akin to black licorice (which I hate BTW, but love in this) I know there isn't any black licorice in this perfume, but that's what it smells like to my nose. After a long while it turns into a really soft scent almost like Cuddle Bunny, but way lighter and has a barely there quality,but I know it's still there.

The phero in this, Perfect Match, has been amazing in many regards. I have worn it quite a lot in the past couple of weeks and I have to say that it makes all of my friends more friendly, acquaintances seem to talk to me more, and my TG....Whoa!

I wore it to a class and we had a small, in school field trip. My friends were waiting for me as I went to the ladies room and then we continued on to catch up with the rest of the class. When we had almost reached our destination, TG appears right beside me and we start chatting (not the most usual of occurrences). While our tour is going on, he and I made eye contact and I made an across the distance joke, which made him laugh (we had separated a bit by that point). Then, it was back to class and not paying any attention to each other (well, I shouldn't say that. I'm always aware of him even if it doesn't look that way).

Other times I've worn it, we seem to chat a bit and I even caught him looking at me one day when I walked into class. This never happens. One of our classes, the teacher suggested people move up front to see what was going on and so he was right next to me. He could have moved back to his old spot, but he didn't. The next time, I sat next to him 'cause he was near where I usually sit and we chatted a bit and he tried to help me with some work at one point. He told me some stuff about himself and we ended up being the last people in class and walking out together chatting. In my previous experience, he was never so chatty with me on such a frequent, if sporadic basis. I attribute that to Portmanteau and Perfect Match, completely and utterly.... :Emoticons04235:

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that this blend seems to have a memory. That is, he responded to me in a way that suggested he had been exposed to it at that moment (for example, when he looked right at me walking into class (he never did it before)), but I was way too far away for that to be the case. It was as if the previous encounters, which were closer, made him behave similarly without the exposure to the phero. Is this something anyone else has experienced?