Bayberry & Gold

scourger

Bayberry is widely known as the money herb; bayberry brings fortune to the home and gold to the pocket.

Prominent ingredients include: Bayberry, cinnamon, ginger and a touch of Christmas punch!

In the bottle: a breath of herbal green, with a little bit of spiciness to texturize it, and something sweet.

On, wet: The bayberry twines around my senses, with what smells like honey complementing it and making it decadent.

Drydown: A lovely apple cider note comes through, keeping the honey sweetness from being too sweet. (More like the sharp honey of mead.) The herbal bayberry somehow keeps this from being too foody. ( :( I know, right? Herbs making it less foody? It does though; it's a little like a forest added into the mix.)

This scent is incredibly sophisticated and expensive. It's like sitting on a plush, white leather chair in an expensive clothing store, while the shop girl assembles a collection of garments for you to try on. (Oh, and you're wearing gold pumps. :( )

Despite the gold pumps, I can definitely see this scent being worn by both men and women. It's got a great balance, so the honey smells rich without being too sweet for a man. (I could see this being a "his" scent to go with a "hers" of sugared honeycomb for people who are looking for pairings.)

In the bottle: a breath of herbal green, with a little bit of spiciness to texturize it, and something sweet.

On, wet: The bayberry twines around my senses, with what smells like honey complementing it and making it decadent.

Drydown: A lovely apple cider note comes through, keeping the honey sweetness from being too sweet. (More like the sharp honey of mead.) The herbal bayberry somehow keeps this from being too foody. ( :( I know, right? Herbs making it less foody? It does though; it's a little like a forest added into the mix.)

This scent is incredibly sophisticated and expensive. It's like sitting on a plush, white leather chair in an expensive clothing store, while the shop girl assembles a collection of garments for you to try on. (Oh, and you're wearing gold pumps. :( )

Despite the gold pumps, I can definitely see this scent being worn by both men and women. It's got a great balance, so the honey smells rich without being too sweet for a man. (I could see this being a "his" scent to go with a "hers" of sugared honeycomb for people who are looking for pairings.)

I always LOVE your reviews, Scourger......every time you review something, you make me want to run out and get a sample!

:) Okay, the money aspect of this one works.

I had a short, outside [of work] project today, which is one of the reasons I decided to wear this potion. I'm glad I did. Apparently, the fellow running the project messed up his budget and started asking the rest of the crew if he could trade favors for a pay cut. He didn't even mention such a thing to me, and simply handed over the full amount I was promised, in cash, at the end.

I am so glad to have this one in my arsenal.

:) Okay, the money aspect of this one works.

I had a short, outside [of work] project today, which is one of the reasons I decided to wear this potion. I'm glad I did. Apparently, the fellow running the project messed up his budget and started asking the rest of the crew if he could trade favors for a pay cut. He didn't even mention such a thing to me, and simply handed over the full amount I was promised, in cash, at the end.

I am so glad to have this one in my arsenal.

fantastic babe!

WOW! How great! I REALLY need to get a sample of this one, NOW.

• 1 month later...

A short little ditty I read about bayberry today:

Tradition says: "A Bayberry candle burned down to it's socket, brings luck to the home and wealth to the pocket"

Now we'll all be stockpiling bayberry candles next Chrismas season and burning them year round. :wub: Luckily I make my own so I don't have to wait until then to get them. B)

Darbla

Now we'll all be stockpiling bayberry candles next Chrismas season and burning them year round. :wub: Luckily I make my own so I don't have to wait until then to get them. B)

Darbla

You reminded me of a crafty-disaster my sister and I made one summer...out on one of the town beaches there were wild bayberries growing, waxy and fragrant when crushed...we picked them for HOURS, brought home the results and tried to (in our crude way) extract the waxiness (to make candles)...geeesh what a mess.

Kitchen smelled great that day though! Do you make your own from actual bayberries or?

Edited by katz

I buy candle wax by the case and many different fragrance oils, and I make all my own home scenting products and most of my bath & body stuff. LPs are the only perfumes I buy as a finished product as I make everything else I want.

Darbla

• 4 weeks later...

I finally ordered a sample of this one. This scent soooooo takes me back! My mother used to always set out bayberry candles at Christmas.....as soon as I smelled it, it was like I was 8 years old again!

In all honesty, this is a very nice, crisp scent......hope it does help with the finances!

I finally ordered a sample of this one. This scent soooooo takes me back! My mother used to always set out bayberry candles at Christmas.....as soon as I smelled it, it was like I was 8 years old again!

In all honesty, this is a very nice, crisp scent......hope it does help with the finances!

I requested a sample of this and recieved it the other day... Totally spicy and Christmassy! Hohoho : P

• 6 months later...

This is a wonderful full, spicy, Christmasy scent. With the way the cinnamon comes through on me it's a little too strong for me to wear as a perfume, but it makes a FANTASTIC holiday room scent in an oil burner. It's hard to find real bayberry candles these days, but now I think I might have to go out and look for one...

Edited by Maxine of Arc

This is a wonderful full, spicy, Christmasy scent. With the way the cinnamon comes through on me it's a little too strong for me to wear as a perfume, but it makes a FANTASTIC holiday room scent in an oil burner. It's hard to find real bayberry candles these days, but now I think I might have to go out and look for one...

I put mine on a lamp ring in my office.....hoping the money aspect will work, as it gives my office a nice Christmas-y touch.....

Tradition says: "A Bayberry candle burned down to it's socket, brings luck to the home and wealth to the pocket." :wub:

This is really interesting. In the Seventies, when the economy was pretty bad, Bayberry candles were sold everywhere. I always wondered why they disappeared in the Eighties. Now I know.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested this one last night. I didn't think I'd care for it much because I tend to like fruity, foody, creamy scents the most, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

When it dried down on me, it wasn't as strong as I thought it would be, and the bayberry was a soft aroma that reminded me of how it smells in cooking rather than a heavier dried herb in a jar scent. The cinnamon was enticing, a bit strong at first but faded to a light and tantalizing note. Then for some reason my skin just ate it up and the bayberry & gold faded completely just when I was beginning to think I might buy a bottle. It only lasted about an hour or two on me after dry down, but it was a lovely aromatic experience while it lasted. This one is definitely a Christmas or winter scent, but I didn't find it overwhelming as seems to be the case for me with most scents that have cinnamon in them.

• 11 months later...

This is holiday nomalicious! I don't really get any dried-herb feel at all, just a fantastic holiday punch, but then again I have the type of skin that amps sweet stuff and doesn't really amp very herbal notes at all. It reminds me exactly of hot mulled cider with plenty of warm spices! ^_^

Edited by Invidiana

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one, as I've been wearing it quite often. It smells like a green Christmas candle to me ( now I know they're bay candles), or even potpouri. Definitely smells like Christmas to my nose :Polar-Kiss: