Encens de Café

luna65

AD-EncensCafe-LovePotion_1.jpg

Encens de Café

A place where dalliances and assignations are a la mode...shadowy and smoky and deliciously-scented...a place where one may encounter one's desire at any moment, in an avant-garde setting...a place of shadows and of mystery. Duskily sophisticated, enter our bohemian café, redolent with Turkish black coffee, cocoa and vanilla bean absolute and a heady dark resin incense blend of nag champa, black amber and sandalwood. We further enhance the environment with a dash of rum, a kiss of sweet vanilla, and a whisper of clove tobacco smoke. This scent is suitable for wear by either sex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
TURKISH BLACK COFFEE ~ Focus, stamina, concentration, determination.
COCOA ABSOLUTE ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.
VANILLA ABSOLUTE & VANILLA BEAN ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
TOBACCO ~ Healing, purification, spiritualism. An ode to the Gods.
CLOVE ~ Money attracting, deflects negative and hostile energies
SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
CARAMELIZED SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness and riches. Lust inducing, wishes granted.
SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment and celebration.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was most looking forward to this one, as I thought it was a great idea on Princess Fiona's part. It IS exactly coffee incense, so you have to be an incense/resins lover to like it (or at least to try it), and I think it's beautiful and delicious and sexy and exotic and mysterious. The coffee is strongest in the vial and then when wet; as it dries down some of the other notes come forward with the base of that dark incense blend. It's very potent but not overwhelming. And although there's just a subtle touch of sweetness, this is absolutely unisex. I don't think I could get Quince to wear it unless I dab him and run (because the coffee note is very obvious), but much like Voracious and LP Homme I would love to smell this on a man. *purr*

oooh, I don't know if I'm going to want to try this out on ME first or maybe a willing male victim?

ETA: I've worn it this morning...and I'm almost SURE I'd like it better on a man than me, at least today I am.

Edited by katz

I tried it when I got it and I loved it in the vial, but when I put it on my skin, I started amping the incense RIDICULOUSLY. I've never had anything do that before. Pretty soon a little nickel-sized dot on my wrist was verging on giving me a headache. I applied a dime-size quantity of OCCO White over it and that mellowed it into something truly yummy on my skin.

And I could smell all of it the next morning. Nom.

I was scared of this one because of the incense, which I tend to amp to nauseating levels, but I don't get any incense from this at all. Initially when wet I do get quite a prominent note of coffee. It's not a "girly chat over a cup of Starbucks" type coffee scent....it's proper sexy dark & rich expresso. It reminds me of the coffee I'd get in the tiny local cafee's way off the tourist tracks in Greece. I don't get any smoke or incense though (luckily). Other than the coffee, I also get spices, predominantly clove, but there are others in the mix too. It takes me back to my childhood, and to me there is only one way of summarizing this scent; CHRISTMAS. It's what it smells like to me... These spices we use a lot around Christmas time in Sweden. We use cloves & oranges alot for christmas decorations ( http://beasbokhylla.blogg.se/2010/december/en-doft-av-apelsin-nejlika-och-kanel.html ) so the house around Christmas smells of spices, and around dinner time also of strong coffee :)

Once dried down the coffee note goes and I'm left with the spices

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like incense notes - even in incense. Not my bag. This is dark roast coffee and then incense comes along for the ride in the dry down. And I like it! I know because I was still getting ready for work and got a whiff of myself and said, "Oooo SMEEEXY!" LOL! ;)

Give this one a try.

*purr* this is sexay! On me it's mostly dark resins - not incense, but dark resiny goodness, with a faint hint of dark coffee that almost sweetens it up (on me anyways.) Or maybe it's the spices (clove?) that I'm smelling...either way it's nom.

Nice to layer with Luna's Coffee and a Cigarette when I want to make that one darker~

this one was not good on me, sigh. to my nose it smelled like chocolate whey protien powder. It smelled way better on my friend, so i gave it to her. if it doesnt work for me i just spread the Love

This one reminded me a little of La Vie de Boheme. I hope this does not offend Mara - as I have said, my nose is terrible at picking out individual notes. This has a very strong coffee scent both wet and dry on me. I actually like it although I am not a big fan of coffee. That being said I have to be judicious when I wear this. I have a very active, busy day pretty much every day. But when I wear this I just want to sit down with a cup of something and relax and do nothing but watch people. I just mentally takes me to a sidewalk cafe somewhere in the old quarter of a city in Europe on a day with nothing to do.

I abused the privilege of MAH BIRFDEY and insisted Q let me dab this on him. He said it was "too head shoppe," and I said that was the point! :lol: He didn't notice the coffee at all which was interesting, all he could smell was "incense from 1972," as he put it. It's very nice on him but I actually think I like it more on me.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't put this on my skin just yet, (I'm slathered in a bunch of different scents; rotating them in shifts!), but when I smell it in the vial, all I think is that I want my house to smell like this. It reminds me of traveling, which I love to do, and haven't done in a very long time. I agree with QG: this has a sit-down-and-people-watch vibe. In fact, it takes me right back to one specific street corner in Merida every time I take a whiff from the vial - a street corner on which I used to sit and watch people. Go figure! If this aroma were available as a wax melt or a simmer oil, I'd be all over it. I don't see any trips in my near future, but I with this in a melting pot, I could armchair travel and be quite content.

In fact, it takes me right back to one specific street corner in Merida every time I take a whiff from the vial - a street corner on which I used to sit and watch people. Go figure!

Spain or Mexico?

I love hearing sense memory stories. That's what this is all about.

I do not mind mowing the grass as the scent of cut grass reminds me of calm, happy days at my grandparents' home.

I love hearing sense memory stories. That's what this is all about. :) Eggers, you should try Zippity Doo Dah in a wax melt when you have the chance. It's yummy coffee shop + Alpha Nol.

PM, I keep looking at that melt, but for a different reason: I'm a coffee fiend! Lol! But there's something earthy in Encens de Cafe, I think, that is what's most accurately causing the recall of that specific corner, probably the incense. It's pretty cool. Every time I open that vial it takes me back to the same spot, (pizza parlour on the corner of the Zocalo, by the art gallery).

I've been working on a fictional novel, (for ages), about my travels. Having the vial of this to smell is perfect for bringing me back to that place, and the state of mind I was in while in Merida. (I had the same sort of reaction to The Shark Whisperer yesterday, although it reminded me of a Mexican guy I fell in love with in Oaxaca).

Spain or Mexico?

I've been to Spain, but not since I was a teenager, and only to very heavily touristed places. At the time, I loved it! Spain is what gave me the travel bug...

Although I am much closer to Merida, Mexico I have never been there. I have however been to Merida, Spain. I visited there once when I was living in Spain.

Edited by quietguy

Dude! You lived in Spain??? I am green right now. Green, green, greengreengreen...

PS. Merida, Mexico is awesome. I love that town. But not as much as I love Oaxaca, which might not be my first love, but undoubtedly the biggest. Highly recommended, travel-wise. Both places.

Hot Damn! You lived in Spain!

Dude! You lived in Spain??? I am green right now. Green, green, greengreengreen...

Hot Damn! You lived in Spain!

Si, senorita. Y tambien en Italia.

GET OUTTA TOWN!!! How much greener can I get? I'll be Marvin the Martian soon. Spain AND Italy... Oh! I need to start another travel jar!!!

No big deal, girlie. You gotta live somewhere. Right now I live here. Here just happens to be back at the beach. Well not on the beach. It is 5 minutes away.

ETA: Another hijacked thread. One day we might get fined for this.

Edited by quietguy

Oops! Yes, we may get fined. We'd deserve it!

Adding the beach to the list of great places you've lived is not making me any less envious. <_<

Back to the regularly scheduled thread...

• 3 weeks later...

I tested this one out on Saturday and it smelled like coffee incense. There was a bit of a bright fruit in there somewhere or maybe I was imagining it. Not too strong. I thought the coffee would be more up and front but it stayed in the back and the incense note and this bright juice was more in the front.

• 4 months later...

I received a small small sample of this and its scent really surprised me. First notes upon application are coffee with some cocoa/dark chocolate notes. Later it becomes more spicy. Now - after half an hour - I get spices (cloves) with some light coffee aroma from the background. It's lovely. It's a bit masculine, but still I would wear it. I think I should get a bottle.

• 1 year later...

When wet this gave me the impression of diaper cream :I

I got really impatient with the dry down so i dabbed w.a cotton pad until it was almost dry and the incense was all up in my grill--loud--with a hint of unsweetened cocoa and tobacco. maybe a suggestion that there was some strong coffee brewed. This is a very androgynous(masculine) scent, i have a feeling that it will go along well with my tomboy-ness. I might have to layer with a sweet-heart phero or with a milky scent to make it fit my personality.

This + everyday clothes = very cool "one of the boys/ill kick your ass"

This + my personality = somethings not right...

I might play with this one more, i really want that strong bitter coffee to come out. Maybe the incense will take a seat after it ages some

Hmm, I have a bottle of this one and haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it might also work well with a vanilla type scent if you wanted to lighten it up a bit. Has anyone tried combining this with other things yet?

• 7 months later...

BUMP!

Soooo, got a sample of this - thank you QG! and got a sample in my last order - so DOUBLE coolness!

This one is definitely masculine to my nose, but out of many samples thus far tested on man beast (again a hardy thank you to QG!), this one is ahead of the pack. I went through and read all the posts and saw Luna mentioned liking this and Voracious (love that on him!) and Homme (still working on that one...) on a man. WELL. My guy sure makes this one smell great! A similar great like he does with Voracious. It reads coffee and tobacco and sandalwood and smoke with this hint of almost sweet but doesn't quite go there. Like Voracious, it makes him nommable without really smelling edible so much as just plain pounce on-able! What's EVEN better is HE likes it! He's going to give it another wear, but it may just be a FB in the near future! :w00t:

I have been using/enjoying Encens de Café layered over 221B a lot. I got the 221B in a sample vial and a couple of sniffies of the Encens de Café. When I'm not sure what to wear, this combo takes me most anywhere, especially when I'm in my office. To me it reminds me of my college days, quietly studying in the library, or more recently discussing books/current issues/casestudies with my cronies. I would like to try this over UNSWS.

• 1 year later...

How I never reviewed this is beyond me, because I'm a whore for anything with coffee. It actually starts out as mostly coffee, a spiced coffee that almost reminds me of a pumpkin latte, and then as it dries down the incense swirls in and turns it into a magical, mystical coffee shop. This isn't a churchy incense note but sweet, mellow incense, the kind that makes me think of candles and foggy windows and Beat poets. The coffee does stay prominent throughout the drydown. When it's fully dried down there is a pretty even proportion of coffee and incense.

• 1 year later...

Phew! This one is very dark now, with intense throw too! This one I accidentally swiped on one too many times (I'd stick with 2 from now on) and just scent bombed the bedroom ?

Idk what it is with today, this comes off as powdery and darkly feminine on me. Im pleased to say that the cocoa finally stepped forward after the initial incense calmed down. I can smell a vague hint of coffee? Either way i felt like this rounded out nicely when I layred trouble with truffles to it.

Bf doesn't care for it but its my secret new favourite ill probably end up dabbing on when I'm alone