Sea Find

Dark rose attar, almond, amber, spikenard, patchouli, sandalwood, oud, white pepper and bladderwrack (sea weed).

The scent is thick and heavy with an antiquated feel, with the suggestion of a ceramic vessel encrusted from years beneath the sea.

A while back, I was Libra-ing around about a PE with Mara. She was *very* patiently leading my brain, trying to focus in on what I was wanting. As a way of deciding things, she had me get this and another as my forum freebies. I was utterly floored when I smelled Sea Find.

Sniff it from the vial, and there's a deep sweet almond, with...resins, and something that hits me as cajeput. Bet it's the spikenard, or maybe the white pepper, or both. I don't get the rose until it sits on my skin.

Wet on my skin...herbal marzipan! Immediately I sense woods and resins...

...and then a hint of dark rose starts to emerge as it warms. Just a hint. This is very exotic, very antiquated, and very beautiful. You sense incense and perfume of the Ancients. I see exquisitely wrought stone cities in a warm climate. Egypt? Sumer? Lemuria...?

As drydown continues and this warms and melds with my skin, the rose attar comes a little more to the fore, but it never takes over. It adds a deep round sweetness. The bladderwrack, I think, gives it a touch of...what?...a very warm day, walking along the seashore...but up away from the waterline. Up where you can smell the sand and the dried seaweed that washed up a day or two ago. It gives a hint of dry, fresh...infinity. You can see forever across the glare of the sea and the sand. This feeling lasts in extreme drydown.

This perfume isn't an aquatic at all, but it has the feel of both ocean and desert. It feels like ancient temples and linen garments and ritual and mystery and dance and life. It's difficult to describe, because it feels so ancient and occult. It is enchanting, simply enchanting. Mara did a magnificent job of interpreting the story!

Edited by ElizabethOSP

It feels like ancient temples and linen garments and ritual and mystery and dance and life. It's difficult to describe, because it feels so ancient and occult. It is enchanting, simply enchanting. Mara did a magnificent job of interpreting the story!

love this! ... :hearts09793:

Thanks, you two. This perfume is such a journey. It feels like I've got an alternate life associated with it. It makes me *see* the scenes. It makes me feel like I'm there. I just love it. :heart: Mara really knows how to do this stuff!

Edited by ElizabethOSP

• 1 month later...

Initially it's rose, then a hint of almond comes out, then a sense of the sea, but not really an aquatic smell, it has an incense quality later. I LOVE it. Read the first review by Elizabeth as it sums up my experience also and it is by far more eloquent than mine. I can only echo what she has said :)

Initially it's rose, then a hint of almond comes out, then a sense of the sea, but not really an aquatic smell, it has an incense quality later. I LOVE it. Read the first review by Elizabeth as it sums up my experience also and it is by far more eloquent than mine. I can only echo what she has said :)

I'm so glad you get the same kind of thing, cinnamonmel! I know that scent memory is all important and hardwired and tweaky for us humans...but I think that sometimes, Mara sort of...what?...sort of remembers scents from other experiences and other time periods in our physical plane. I can't figure out how to say this coherently. There's a feeling of otherness and authenticity within that otherness. Some of her scents make me see places and feel things that come from other lifetimes.

:heart: Mara, if you see this, do you feel that way sometimes when you're brewing?

:heart: Mara, if you see this, do you feel that way sometimes when you're brewing?

Elizabeth, you are so amazing. I love how you express things.

Like many creative people, yourself included I'm sure, I'm kind of one-foot-in-reality. I have a dangerously (according to my mother) vivid imagination, and when I am writing or brewing or whatever, I transport to other places. My mind gets so immersed in the other place, sometimes it takes a bit for me to get "back here". I go live in that other place for a bit, look around at everything, smell things, touch things, feel things. Prob why my dreams are so vivid. I take note of everything in my surroundings. You must do that too, when you are writing songs and painting?

Elizabeth, you are so amazing. I love how you express things.

Like many creative people, yourself included I'm sure, I'm kind of one-foot-in-reality. I have a dangerously (according to my mother) vivid imagination, and when I am writing or brewing or whatever, I transport to other places. My mind gets so immersed in the other place, sometimes it takes a bit for me to get "back here". I go live in that other place for a bit, look around at everything, smell things, touch things, feel things. Prob why my dreams are so vivid. I take note of everything in my surroundings. You must do that too, when you are writing songs and painting?

Thankyou! And YES. You do what I thought you do. I do that, too, and it *is* weird coming back from it sometimes. I love how some of your scents conjure that for me. All I have to do is start snoofing and thinking about the scent notes, and then the images and sensations surface. And then, I can be functioning on this plane, but have the other plane right there overlaid onto the now. And i'm willing to bet that different LPs will affect the various wearers in discrete ways. Like, something that feels pink and girlie and relaxing to me will evoke that otherness for someone else. And that is where the Art lies.

:burning-heart: And I thank you for that!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I took a chance on this. It is one of those rare perfumes that evokes the sea without smelling harshly,chemically "aquatic" (that smell that whacks you when you pass certain men's shops in the mall).

First review really nails it so all I will add is that folks should try it. It IS a story in scent form.

• 8 months later...

This one has called to me like a siren since it first came out. The stunning label for one thing, and the idea which made me feel a strange longing. But the incensey aspect gave me pause. well I finally got brave and pulled the trigger and got a bottle. I'm so glad. At first that attar and oud gave me sadface- but even then the complexity and warmth and SWEETNESS were there and very promising. Within just a few minutes the resiny part I disliked was gone. Ever since it's just been heavenly warm womanly RED RED rose, with an unexpected very sweet and FRUITY thing going on- ??? that is absolutely swoony.

Another great LPMP proof that sometimes you have to ignore your note-likes and go with your gut!

:clapW2::clapW2::clapW2::clapW2::clapW2::clapW2:

YAY!!! Tyvey, I am SO GLAD you got some and love it!!! I still journey to ancient places when I wear Sea Find. :heart:

I'm with you on the going with your gut. The longer I wear Mara's creations, the more I'm surprised by what notes really do work for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tyvey's impassioned review in the sale thread convinced me to get a bottle of this, and I'm glad I did. My goodness, what a unique and incredible scent!! In the bottle, I smell a thick almond scent. On my skin, it's a worn, damp wood with a hint of salty ocean mixed in. This is what an old ship must smell like. It's not something one typically wants to smell like, but the imagery I got from sniffing it was so intense, I couldn't take my nose from my wrist!! Then right before my nose, rose attar begins to come out, and with the amber, transforms this into a rich, sophisticated antique fragrance. It's absolutely swoon worthy. As if that isn't gorgeous enough, it gets warmer and deeper with oud. But still, the suggestion of the ocean is still there. This isn't something I would have ever purchased, but I'm glad I did. Incredible!!

BB, I'm testing this one right now and your right Tyvey's excellent post stating how awesome this was in the bargain bin thread convinced me I needed a bottle and I'm so glad I purchased one... This is so unique and so different then anything I have ever tried. I feel like I'm out on the beach looking at the ocean and taking in every scent that is out there... I feel this review does not due this amazing scent justice, but to all who ordered this one and have not yet received yet, please know your in for an amazing treasure

• 1 month later...

I don't get a "modern" scent here.

I get the sea thing but to me it's like if I were on a yacht with Gatsby & co.

...or if I were exploring a haunted wreckage and was sucked back in time. I can smell the sea and the wood of the ship.

There's an antiquated feel but also that perfumed elegant scent of a well heeled lady mixed with something thicker, some perfumed resin pulled from the sea.

It definately takes your mind on a journey to a far away place. :heart:

Edited by StacyK

I don't get a "modern" scent here.

I get the sea thing but to me it's like if I were on a yacht with Gatsby & co.

...or if I were exploring a haunted wreckage and was sucked back in time. I can smell the sea and the wood of the ship.

There's an antiquated feel but also that perfumed elegant scent of a well heeled lady mixed with something thicker, some perfumed resin pulled from the sea.

It definately takes your mind on a journey to a far away place. :heart:

Stacy, you nailed it with that description, it is like being in the Great Gatsby on their yacht... I wish I could review better but thankfully so many of you have a way with words....

Stacy, you nailed it with that description, it is like being in the Great Gatsby on their yacht... I wish I could review better but thankfully so many of you have a way with words....

Well... that was all the scent there, doing that to my mind. Really, it just screamed Gatsby. I lay in the sun on the yacht, because I have never heard of skin cancer or the sun making my skin sag, it just feels so damn good. Blissfully ignorant of it all. Cancer, fascism or the fact that someone might explore this ship 80 years from now.

I might haunt it and all you get is a wisp of me and my perfume along with the sea and resinous wood.

• 2 weeks later...

This scent is just so beautiful on.... Its so comforting to me now in my time of stress and complete exhaustion.

Yes, this is a comforting scent. Hang in there.

Thinking of you and your mom. :heart: