Sample fragrance reviews

Synergist

Transferring my reviews over from PT forums. Hope this is the right place for them! Please leave comments!

Review on Love Potion sample fragrances:

I should mention first that I am a complete fragrance newbie - I hardly ever even wore perfume until about a month ago when I got interested in pheromones. I figure developing appreciation of fragrances is probably going to be a lot like developing appreciation of fine wine (something I have much more experience at wink.gif ) I imagine anyone new to fragrances is probably not able to appreciate the complexity and subtle notes of some of the finer perfumes, and will likely go for the cheap, sweet stuff. After years of drinking wine I now prefer a good, complex red, but when I first started all I could stand were sweet whites, everything else was just yuck. Now I think of those same drinks as lolly water since my taste has matured.

My point of mentioning all this is to cover myself if I don't give the fragrances the reviews they are probably due p.gif

First thing I can say about them is they SMELL expensive. They smell like good quality, high concentration fragrances. Nothing cheap about them. I put a few drops on different parts of my skin this morning and I can still smell them in those places, so clearly they have great lasting potential. I can smell that they are complex - even if I can't pick out the individual notes, I can tell that they are there.

Jungle Colada: This is just a little bit on the sweet side and actually smells like real fruit. Not like what you expect when something claims to smell like "fruit", but like you are ACTUALLY smelling a bowl of ripe fruit. This, ironically, makes it a little less pleasant to me than the imitation fruit smells, probably because I am more used to them! But still nice nonetheless. It is probably my favourite of the scents.

Emperor: Apparently this is more on the manly side, but when I smelled this, without reading the description on the web, it reminded me of my mum's perfume?! Not sure what that says about my parents! Anyway I got a kind of musky, almost menthol smell from it, something complex in there as well - it had depth, but I couldn't say in what way. It was ok, it grew on me more once I had put it on than when I smelled it in the bottle.

Breakfast in Bed: This is supposed to smell like food - french toast, maple syrup, and bacon. But for some reason all I get is a kind of rich coffee smell, with some nice spices in there? A nice fragrance if you like coffee, but not really for me as I have an aversion to coffee due to my caffeine sensitivity.

Cherub's Kiss: This was quite subtle and pleasant to me, a nice sweet, flowery smell. The description on the web for this one was accurate for me.

Summoner's Spell: I got a citrusy, incensey smell from this one that was quite pleasant. It was a really interesting smell that I can see changing throughout the wear or on different people. It is supposed to contain over 50 ingredients so I guess everyone will get someone different out of it.

Dr Suki's Break-Up Balm: I can't find this on the web at all, so I am not sure what it is exactly? But to me it has kind of a clean, sugary smell - kind of like cough syrup, but in a good way, if that makes sense! Maybe like a nice cordial. I get orange and maybe something herbal from it as well.

Thanks again Mara for letting me try these fragrances out, and sorry I probably haven't given them the reviews they deserve smile.gif Hopefully this will at least be helpful to other fragrance newbies like me!

Another Love Potion fragrance review!!:

Woohoo, so another Love Potion package has arrived! Complete as before with my gift of six new fragrances in cute little vials. I have spent the day trying on each for a few hours, and here are my thoughts.

*** My standard disclaimer: These are just my thoughts and are not intended to cause offence or be slanderous to Love Potion. They are solely my opinions, and the experience of other people with these scents may be totally different ***

Sensual Harmony: Very subtle and smooth, a bit woody and musky but blends well with skin because to me it smells just like skin. I guess it nicely enhances the fragrance of your own skin, or at least it does for me, without smelling like you are actually wearing perfume. Probably not going to reach anyone who is not actually sniffing you, but would be lovely if someone is up close and got a whiff of you. They would plausibly think that this is your natural smell and you really do just smell that nice without needing any fragrance on – it would be believable with this one I think!

Embody the Tarot: The World: I am coming to the conclusion that fruity scents are my favourite, and this one is definitely my favourite of the six. To me it is quite a fruity, delicious smell – I can tell there is something that smells “edible” in there. From the description on the Love Potion website I think it is the banana and vanilla I am smelling, but there is a really fruity element in it as well to me. Maybe the maple?

Dreams of Avalon: I can’t find this one on the Love Potion website? In any case it is a fresh, bright, clean smell to me – sort of like detergent or laundry powder, without the chemical smell. That sounds a little bad but it actually works ok. Somehow it makes me think of clouds...

Loving You Lavender: TBH I’m not a fan of lavender at the best of times, so I didn’t really like this, but that is not to say that others who appreciate lavender more wouldn't. I will say in its favour that it didn’t smell as flowery and in-your-face as some lavender scents seem to, it was a little bit more citrusy or lemony which made it a bit fresher. It smelled a bit “plant-y” to me, like the smell of not just the flower but the whole plant had been captured.

Vieux Carre: This unusual one I quite liked in the bottle and when I put it on, but after a few minutes I didn’t like it nearly as much. It seemed quite fresh and fruity at first, and I could smell something lovely like pineapple, but then it seemed to settle down to a soapy, detergent smell on my skin. It was still ok, but not one I would rush out to buy.

Raven Moon: I have to admit I didn’t like this one. It was too flowery and incensey, and made me want to sneeze. Not for me. It looks like it was a limited edition in any case and is now sold out.

I’m happy to be discovering what I like in a scent and what I don’t, it’s been a great learning experience for me. I’ve been thinking about Jungle Colada a lot lately – the fruitiness seems to work so well on me and covered my Essence of a Woman really nicely. I would love to do a mix with Jungle Colada and something cops-heavy like Blatant Invitation (which I am having some trouble covering, but more on that later when I review it), and maybe just a touch of something really sweet in there to give it a kick. Maybe I should get Mara to brew me up something?

Love Potion Fragrance updates:

Ok, I have learnt something else about fragrances... My impression of them seems to change from wear to wear! I have been wearing drops from the trial vials and getting all new things out of them compared to when I used and reported on them the first time. So I would like to add the following updates:

Dr Suki's Break-up Balm: Previously I wrote...

to me it has kind of a clean, sugary smell - kind of like cough syrup, but in a good way, if that makes sense! Maybe like a nice cordial. I get orange and maybe something herbal from it as well.

Now... I don't know how I missed all this foodiness going on the first time. Vanilla, cookies, cream, butter...? This is my first experience experimenting with "foodie" scent, and perhaps because of that I just didn't understand the notes at all to begin with. Today I thought I could smell something like sweet biscuits and realised it was the dab of oil I had put on, and it all clicked. I had thought "foodie" smells were things like fruit or honey. Lol... Yeah I can be a bit slow sometimes blush.gif

Embody the Tarot: The World: Previously I wrote...

I am coming to the conclusion that fruity scents are my favourite, and this one is definitely my favourite of the six. To me it is quite a fruity, delicious smell – I can tell there is something that smells “edible” in there. From the description on the Love Potion website I think it is the banana and vanilla I am smelling, but there is a really fruity element in it as well to me. Maybe the maple?

Now... I am getting something smoky, almost tobacco-like out of this as well.

Dreams of Avalon: Previously I wrote...

... a fresh, bright, clean smell to me – sort of like detergent or laundry powder, without the chemical smell. That sounds a little bad but it actually works ok. Somehow it makes me think of clouds...

Now.. I am also getting something grassy in with the soap... like grass-stained jeans soaking in detergent p.gif

Vieux Carre: Previously I wrote...

This unusual one I quite liked in the bottle and when I put it on, but after a few minutes I didn’t like it nearly as much. It seemed quite fresh and fruity at first, and I could smell something lovely like pineapple, but then it seemed to settle down to a soapy, detergent smell on my skin. It was still ok, but not one I would rush out to buy.

That “soapy, detergent smell” I think is how musk goes on me. I’ve learnt I am not a fan of musk. I am also noticing the pineapple a bit more even after dry down now... just subtle whiffs.

I'll keep updating with what I discover... having lots of fun with this... smile.gif

Edited by Synergist

I know...as you travel through LPMP your previous opinions on the scents change dramatically!

I will try a sample that I did not like a year ago and love it so much I can't believe it now. Try not to get rid of the samples you don't like too hastily! You may find a change of opinion in a couple months.

You can order any current scent with cops (copulins) added for $5 more, I like this better than layering. There are also scents avail that have cops in them, and the OCCOs, which are delicious scented copulins.

Edited by perfumesniffer

Awesome reviews Synergist! I totally agree with your opinion about Sensual Harmony enhancing your own skin scent, I loveeee it!

Ravenwing, that is soo bizarre. I will have to experiment with that now that you have mentioned it. How strange! Oh there is so much to learn :P

Thanks Gaby :) I am fond of Sensual Harmony as well. So far my favourite is Jungle Colada, I have ordered more of that :)