URGENT: The right combo for this weekend

I have a convention this weekend, but not much to do at it - there's a LOT of big names at it so everybody gets a couple shots at being in the limelight. My BFF is also going to be there, and we've really started bonding lately. I've used PM around him to good effect, usually in Portmanteau, though I also have it UN. Normally at a con I would use PP, and since I feel a tad bit slighted by the con chair, am tempted to slather in that, but then I don't want to put off BFF, who is also a star - literally - in his own right.

He's also a bit frazzled since he's the toastmaster for the convention, AND will be shooting an episode of his TV series this weekend, and has flatly asked for my help - among other things to keep an eye on his pre-teen daughter who wants to come. (Mama doesn't much care for the cons.) So I want something that doesn't compete with him, and helps him relax - but I want something that'll make the con chair (and publisher) sit up and take notice.

HELP! I need to know by tomorrow afternoon!

Isn't PP a non-competitive mix? It says something in the description about it tempering other people's jealousy when you're "in the spotlight". Maybe put a little on BFF - you two can be a star team! ;)

Good luck this weekend!

I agree with PP being a pretty safe bet - I don't think it takes away the limelight from anyone else necessarily, for me it just makes me popular and makes everyone get along, but not in a way like everyone is hanging off my words and ignoring other people.

I'm intrigued now, I wish you could tell us who your BFF star is!!

OK, I will just go with PP.

I'm intrigued now, I wish you could tell us who your BFF star is!!

Oh, I can. This guy.

6082-working-on-the-rocket_38178_600x450.jpg

Dr. Travis S. Taylor, star of National Geographic Channel's Rocket City Rednecks, rocket scientist and NYT-best-selling author.

ETA: if I had had a brother, and had gotten to choose who, it would be him.

Edited by AlienChangeling

LOL yeah, he is, but:

1) I'm happily married,

2) he's happily married with 2 kids,

2a) me and hubby and he and wifey all get together and do stuff,

3) I'm older than he is (by an undisclosed amount).

I suppose hypothetically if he and I were both single I might try a cougar move on him but I doubt I'd get anywhere. I'm not his type and the cyst from hell surgery and resulting hormonal dearth has done a bit of a number on my looks. I'm quite happy having him for a dear friend and adoptive family. The funny thing is that he is my bff, but one of the guys on the show is his bff, bc they've known each other since elementary school. But he knows he's got a loyal friend in me, and he appreciates that, and reciprocates.

He and I have written several books together and we have an ongoing collaboration on some projects. We think a lot alike and are interested in the same things, so our collaborations are pretty good. He's been trying to figure how to get me on the show but I am unskilled with power tools. That seems to be a prerequisite for their projects, lol.

ETA: and it's the other way around. I'm not helping HIM get someplace in the career, HE is helping ME. He's my writing mentor. He's just snowed this weekend and needing me to be there to back him up for stuff.

LOL yeah, he is, but:

1) I'm happily married,

2) he's happily married with 2 kids,

2a) me and hubby and he and wifey all get together and do stuff,

3) I'm older than he is (by an undisclosed amount).

I suppose hypothetically if he and I were both single I might try a cougar move on him but I doubt I'd get anywhere.

Oh I wasn't necessarily thinking for YOU my dear ;) But point number 2 puts a dampener on that hehe :P Still, IMO nothing is hotter than a cute, power tool wielding scientist ;)

Me too Tyvey, me too. It took me forever to realize FB was fuck buddy. I kept thinking Friends with Benefits and was perturbed over why they left out the W. They swap out for the exact same meaning, so i went with this for quite awhile. Then one day a lightbulb went off and I got it. Fuck buddies. Duh.

LOL Yeah he is and he's a lot of fun. BFF=Best Friend Forever. We were on a panel tonight and it was absolutely hysterical by the end, BUT IT MADE SENSE! It was videotaped and will be up on YouTube later.

I wore Elementary 2010, PP, and just the baaaarest dab of OCCO White.

ETA: In case you can't tell, that's a rocket he's working on in the photo.

Man, it really went great! I'm going to end up with at least a scene or two in the final version of the TV episode - they filmed part of the show at the con, so since I was helping him, they got a couple scenes of me interacting; and they want to interview me for inclusion also. (YES, I mean the Rocket City Rednecks TV show! NOT the YouTube videos!)

I'd be walking along and hear my name and turn around, and somebody from someplace else (often that I didn't even know but who recognized me) would come running through a crowd to hug on me. I had people coming there especially to see ME. I got multiple compliments about how great I looked.

And when you have the editor in chief of a big publisher come up and introduce himself to YOU instead of vice versa, and when later that evening after a private single malt tasting party to which you've both been invited and at which he's quizzed you about the science in your novels, he bends low over your hand and murmurs, "Enchante," and when a famous Hugo-winning writer and a famous multi-Hugo-nominated artist sit with you into the wee hours, chatting, it doesn't get much better, you know?

I'd say in general, congruence was reached. :D

Edit for terminology fail.

Calii, yes, I stayed with the PP. Occasionally when I thought about it, I'd apply some Topper before leaving the house but am afraid to carry the glass bottle in my purse. It's big enough to take a hit and break, whereas the smaller rollers are like lipstick tubes. I've thought about getting a metal refillable spray bottle but am not keen on my decanting abilities. Late in the day I'd refresh both my fragrance and my PP, so the fx stayed strong.

Yes, Trav is hot. If he and I were single, I would likely go cougar on his butt. (Or not. My experiences with making the first move back in my dating days were distinct and obvious failures.) But we are both happily married and I am not going to go messing with what we've got. He has been known to make some Freudian slips when he's talking and I'm in the audience, though. And when he's on a panel and I'm in the audience, I'm one of the people he will focus on. When we are on panels together he tends to sit next to me. All in all I'm happy with the relationship.

It's great to have a place like this where we can come and get useful advice on things like what to wear to an important event - and then hear how it played out afterwards. It's like having a bunch of girlfriends or sisters on hand :bday1029: