French Musk

French Musk

A lovely, lightly sweet skin musk which reminded the client for whom this was crafted of her youthful summers spent on the beaches of her French home. Crafted of white musk, vanilla, white sugar, oak moss and a dash of sweet sandalwood. This is the base on which the two following variants are built....

So far this is just vanilla musk on me. It has a tiny touch of the play-dough - which my skin sometimes does with certain vanillas, but it's not bad. I am hoping the sandalwood and oak moss will make themselves known after this melds a bit more with my skin.

I'm hoping this has some sense of Lait Sucre about it, if it does I shall be so happppeeeeeee, and not need to make my own PE after all! iT sounds like it probably could do.

I think you'll be very happy!!

I have a feeling this one might go on my trade page for one of the other ones.

It's on the sugary side. It's a very nice likable musk, I think it will be hard for someone NOT to like this, because it's vanilla heavy. The dry down is where the musk comes to life in such a nice gentle way. For some reason, and maybe because I just came from the beach, French Musk makes me crave....makes me wish.... it had the tiniest hint of coconut. I might mix a bit of Coconut Breeze with it.

I've never really smelled a musk like this, it's beautiful, sweet, soft and feminine. :)

Edited by Lexy

BB, on me it is very potent! I definitely amp this type of vanilla/musk combo. You'll have to experiment with it. I'm thinking of using the 5ml in a full beta spray - so it's 1/2 strength.

It's on the sugary side, It's a very nice likable musk, I think it will be hard for someone NOT to like this. The dry down is where the musk comes to life in such a nice gentle way. For some reason, and maybe because I just came from the beach, French Musk makes me crave....makes me wish.... it had the tiniest hint of coconut. I might mix a bit of Coconut Breeze with it.

I've never really smelled a musk like this, it's beautiful, soft and feminine. :)

Lexy, how's the throw since you and I have the same result with my PE?

And the "sugary" - is it similar to Pure Sugar, somewhat a powdery sugar scent ?

Edited by JOC

And the "sugary" - is it similar to Pure Sugar, somewhat a powdery sugar scent ?

I know you asked Lexy, but I'll chime in and say I think it's very comparable. I put 2 little swipes on my shoulder yesterday before I wrote the review, and I can still smell it right now. I know, that doesn't exactly answer the throw question, but when I slathered your PE I could smell it so strongly around me that I was afraid it was too strong. This is very similar.

French Musk

A lovely, lightly sweet skin musk which reminded the client for whom this was crafted of her youthful summers spent on the beaches of her French home. Crafted of white musk, vanilla, white sugar, oak moss and a dash of sweet sandalwood. This is the base on which the two following variants are built....

So far this is just vanilla musk on me. It has a tiny touch of the play-dough - which my skin sometimes does with certain vanillas, but it's not bad. I am hoping the sandalwood and oak moss will make themselves known after this melds a bit more with my skin.

AH-HA! so vanilla IS the culprit in the Play-doh smell. I've been going nuts trying to identify that. I've never heard anyone else refer to it as play-doh except me. Some describe a "plastic" smell when writing reviews, but I'm not sure i've ever experienced that. I think Mara has said elsewhere that certain types of Vanilla are less play-dohish than others. I "think" French or more foody vanillas were less likely to come off that way. Maybe she can clarify. Sorry to threadjack.

Back to the review.

AH-HA! so vanilla IS the culprit in the Play-doh smell. I've been going nuts trying to identify that. I've never heard anyone else refer to it as play-doh except me. Some describe a "plastic" smell when writing reviews, but I'm not sure i've ever experienced that. I think Mara has said elsewhere that certain types of Vanilla are less play-dohish than others. I "think" French or more foody vanillas were less likely to come off that way. Maybe she can clarify. Sorry to threadjack.

Back to the review.

Just adding that the play-doh smell doesn't last after the initial dry-down...maybe 30 minutes tops.

French Vanilla is usually the culprit when peeps complain of a plasticy or play-doh component in perfumes. I very very rarely use French Vanilla anymore for that reason, and there was none used in any of the musks, so I am not sure what it could be in this case. (I think the only time I have used it in the past year was in Kitten Nip.)

I always thought it was a certain type of amber which did the Play-Doh thing on me, hmm...

I've never heard anyone else refer to it as play-doh except me.

I definitely have in previous reviews (when it happens) because I first experienced it years ago when trying BPAL's Snake OIl - it's an infamous side effect of that particular scent with many people's chemistry.

When I first take a sniff the first thing that I smell is sugar and vanilla, not really musk. As it starts to dry and settle the sugar and vanilla tone down and the musk starts to come thru, but not overpowering, still mild. It's a great musk for musk beginners imho. I've never smelled Pure Sugar, but to my nose it is a white powdered sugar smell. It does seem to have more throw than your PE, I will wear it today to be sure. :)

Edited by Lexy

This is really beautiful. Very sugary vanilla and settles into a soft vanilla musk. Def light enough for layering. I got this in the smallest size but I might need to get a bigger one :) I think this would b perfect for work or around people who r sensitive to strong scents.

Ahhh I can't stop huffing my wrist!!!

My package came today. Yay!!!! I actually don't get much sweetness from this at all. When I first put this on, I got something weird, but that faded away fairly quickly, after five minutes maybe. I've been left with a creamy, smooth musky vanilla for the last couple of hours. I think I will love wearing this on its own as well as layering it with other things. (I am drinking coffee at the moment, and let me tell you, the combo of the coffee scent in my house with the French Musk is to die for!) I love this in that it's one of those scents that don't seem like perfume. It's more like something that almost seems to be coming from your pores. :wub:

I absolutely love this! It is everything I hoped it would be. My skin really likes this too, I can smell the vanilla, sugar and musk perfectly blended, nothing is too close or too far in the background. I was worried that I wouldn't like it when I read the first few reviews but this behaves nicely with my chemistry b/c it is just THE perfect vanilla musk scent!

I always thought it was a certain type of amber which did the Play-Doh thing on me, hmm...

I definitely have in previous reviews (when it happens) because I first experienced it years ago when trying BPAL's Snake OIl - it's an infamous side effect of that particular scent with many people's chemistry.

I must be really lucky, it doesn't do it on me. I like the smell of play-doh though! I used to have a Smell This Play Doh roll on.

Ok I LOVE this. My guy friend smelled me and was like " god u smell gooood! Better than pink sugar!!" which means a lot b/c pink sugar is his favorite perfume on any girl. But then I asked another guy friend to smell. He smelled right out of the vial and said "smells like a candle" wtf?! This must b the type of scent that's nicer on the skin than in the bottle. I personally think it smells so sugary and musky and delish!

He smelled right out of the vial and said "smells like a candle" wtf?!

LOL, that's kind of a stereotypical reaction to artisan fragrance; Mara actually created a scent (Candle in the Wind) which causes people to have that reaction specifically!

Yeah I've heard that candle comment a lot especially from MIchael but he says that is a compliment on the perfume. He always says that about Closer and that is one of his faves.

I was leery of trying these musks but I am getting tempted.

@ Luna...sometimes you get that "sharp, piercing" from white musk as I do...does French or Vintage give you that impression at all? I am good with the musk in Coconut Breeze...I am thinking Vintage might be ok for me.

I haven't tried any of these yet, sorry! I'm a bit leery of the base because of both the white musk and sandalwood, which do not play nice sometimes.

I haven't tried any of these yet, sorry! I'm a bit leery of the base because of both the white musk and sandalwood, which do not play nice sometimes.

Oh! Well thank you anyway Luna! Sandalwood is good on me it's the white musk that gives me the willies sometimes. If I get the nerve up to order the Vintage I know I can unload it on my mother though!!!

I had a couple of coupons for Nivea Shower Gel for Men that ended up making it free. I wasn't going to let a little thing like "man smell" stand in between me and free soap. :lol: And since I shower at night, the "man smell" (which is really quite nice!) fades by the time I scent up the next day. Last night I put on a little French Musk before bed, and let me tell you, this was hot!! All you coupled up ladies, try just a dab on your man!!! His aftershave or deodorant (if they have that generic man scent to them) will keep it from being too sweet and feminine on him. Trust me on this!

edited for spelling

Edited by BlueBear

• 1 month later...

I have just received my French Musk. I already have the Orchid Musk which I love. French Musk is indeed the same base, just without the Orchid. Both are beautifully crafted and the scent melds so naturally with one's own skin scent. These two musks can be layered together if we want just a mild orchid scent.

French Musk can most probably be layered with many floral, fruity or vanilla based scents. I think I'll try it with LAM Orchid Rose.

• 2 months later...

I got this because I liked the Orchid Musk so much and I do get a bit of the play-doh thing happening too, but not for too long After about 15-20 minutes it fades but wow this scent is so sheer on me! Like barely there; none of the things I thought might happen did in terms of the notes. I could see wearing this one in a situation where I either have to be careful scent-wise (around other people), or when I'm battling a migraine and can't deal with anything too strong.

• 2 months later...

:w00t: I finally got a bottle of this! Been wanting it for SO long. :heart:I LOVE EET! :heart: So far, I'm 4 for 4 with the Musks I have: Choco, Pumpkin, Exotic, and French! YUM NOM NOM NOM YUM. :) This one's foody on me.

Snoofing from the bottle, I get a quiet vanilla musk with something else underneath. Hitting my skin, it's the same. But then about ten seconds in, it starts to morph a bit. I get more vanilla, but there's still that indefinable "something" hiding in the background. The scent stays quiet yet noticeable. Ever so gradually, an almondy note shows up within the main body. I have no idea why I'd perceive almond...but it's really pretty! Upon longer dry down, it starts getting a candy like feel. I'm thinking it's the sugar. At this point, I get a hint of the playdoh but it never fully blooms. Now, on extreme drydown, I get a slight coconut feel wafting up from my skin. Maybe it's the oak moss and sandal and sugar tickling my synapses, so to speak. At this point, I tend to forget I'm wearing French Musk...but then I'll move and smell something sweet and vanilla-ish. I *almost* get vanilla marshmallow from it. I'm not sure whether I perceive musk at all! It's probably what ties everything together and makes it mysterious. B) It's good for layering, and I agree with luna that it's good for wearing when migraining!

Another PE Musk Win! :burning-heart:

I love this so much. Thanks for your review EOSP, it's what pushed me to get this. I too get the very light almond thing but only when I slather a TON. French Musk is really light on it's own so I like to slather.This is so sweet and pure smelling but also a dead sexy skin scent. Slightly powdered vanilla musk. LOVEEEEEEEEEEE!

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I actually wear this a lot, and I love it most for layering. By itself it's a beautiful vanilla skin musk. It's somewhat heavy on me, but I actually like that with this blend. I'm not sure if Mara will ever make this again, but I hope so :)

I did a lot of reading on this one and now I've finally smelled it I think I get it. It really is vanilla musk! The sweet tone of the musk comes from the vanilla, but it's not screaming "vanilla", it's just quietly there. I'm not a big fan of vanilla, but I think I could actually wear this, especially over winter. What a soothing, comforting scent this would be then.

• 1 month later...

This is still one of my most favorite LP scents. It's sweet, soft and vanilla-y. It's almost powdery like vanilla marshmallow. For such a light scent, this has crazy longevity. Hours later and still catching yummy whiffs.

• 1 month later...

Finally broke down and got a full bottle of this delicious creation. Of all the "corset musks" I've tried, this is my hands down favorite. It's softly sweet and makes me happy. It may constitute grounds for banishment from the forum, but . . . I like it even better than Bodacious Musk! (Shhhh!!!)

As someone who actually holds that power I can honestly say that no, you will not have your addict card pulled, lol. I never got to try BodaciouS myself, but I do like the French!

• 1 year later...

Why did I wait so long to snag this? SWOON......I already loved it in the bottle but my skin does something incredible with it. It's so powdery, soft, very sweet. If it were a thing it would be a warm slightly melted marshmallow. It has that wonderful "oh, that? That's just how I naturally smell" thing about it. Just such perfection. Reminds me a bit of New.