Unseelie

Gabylicious

AD-Unseelie-LovePotion.jpg

Unseelie

How can something smell so…unwholesome, yet so alluring at the same time? Decadent and dangerous…beware!…the addiction begins as soon as it touches your skin. This potion may be worn by both women and men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

COPAL ~ Love, purification, cleansing.
OUD (Agarwood) ~ Love,
aphrodisia, spirituality, health.
FOXGLOVE ~ Both sacred and poisonous, it has long been used both as a healing medicine and for ill purposes. Represents invisibility and shape-changing, an attractant of Fae and a protection against them. Stateliness and insincerity, wish fulfillment and falsehood.
AMBERGRIS ~ Increases personal power, heightens sexual responses, dreaming.
JUNIPER ~ Emotionally calming, physically energizing. Attracts lovers, deflects thieves. Cleansing, purifying, love charms, exorcism, health.
OPIUM ~ Deepens
feelings, instills calmness. Imagination, fantasy, pleasure, wealth, success, addiction.
VALERIAN ~ Love, harmony, protection, purification, sleep.
FRANKINCENSE ~ Purification, consecration, protection, exorcism. Associated with silver and the moon.
MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing. Powerful guard against evil.
MUSK ~
Self-confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
LEATHER ~ The musky scent of leather inspires feelings of lust, personal power, and provides a hint of danger.
WOOD SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment
and celebration.
EARTH ~ Grounding, centering, protection, renewal, reincarnation, life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An unseelie fairy is an evil malevolent fairy, but this oudy fairy dances and twirls on my skin with such a beauty that she takes me straight to a forest, makes me lie on the ground on a carpet of dry leaves and I can smell the humid, woodsy giants of the forest all around me...there is no evil, there is no harshness...just a scent that grounds me, that soothes me and I just want to lie still for hours...

When I review a complex potion, I like to describe what scent notes and accords I'm able to detect, but this time I'm gonna skip directly to my overall impressions 'cause there are so many ingredients here and I really want to enjoy this potion as a whole and it does seem to be an extremely straightforward woody and clean scent.

It starts out smelling unexpectedly clean and then it becomes as woody as it gets with soft waves of sweetness. It is slightly incensey, but it has the right dose of smokiness I really like it and this is coming from a girl who is not much into heavy smoky incensey stuff...To be honest, I'm surprised to like Unseelie, maybe my nose is getting more attuned to certain notes I have no idea, I just know that this potion is so heartbreakingly beautiful...

The oud here is smooth and very likeable, it is not a crude harsh oud, but more of a perfume with an oudy edge that is soothing, warm, earthy, woody and clean if that makes sense...I get a musky cleanliness even in dry down, but what I love the most is the warm woody aspect I get it's like smelling a piece of bark with specks of soil on it, but it smells clean too and there is this velvety sweetness that comes through the woodiness...

Oud seems to be the most revered scent note right now in perfumery and I was a bit dissapointed the first time I smelled a mainstream oudless oud frag out there and I'm so happy to find an oud fragrance that does smell like oud but it doesn't slap you in the face...

Unseelie did remind me of Gitana a bit, but just for a little while I do like Unseelie so much more. This is not a sexy potion IMO, but more of a soothing, deep and grounding potion...Overall, it lasts for ages on my skin and it does project and diffuse pretty well....

Beautiful review, Gaby!!

On me and Mr. Goddess this starts out with a very prominent OUD note!! Almost overpowering, but after a few minutes it settles down. It's very smoky on both of us, but on him it develops into a softer version of the original impression, and on me it sweetens up a bit. The juniper is quite prominent on me. We were hoping that this could stand in for his beloved Spirit Bottle, and it will take more testing to be sure. I already have a bottle, but I'm going to let him thoroughly test the sample before opening it, just in case.

I agree with you Gaby, this isn't sexy, but it's powerful! If I did any sort of spirit work this would be perfect!! It is truly grounding!!

We were hoping that this could stand in for his beloved Spirit Bottle, and it will take more testing to be sure. I already have a bottle, but I'm going to let him thoroughly test the sample before opening it, just in case.

I agree with you Gaby, this isn't sexy, but it's powerful! If I did any sort of spirit work this would be perfect!! It is truly grounding!!

I need something to give me the protected feeling that Spirit Bottle does, too. I am going through my bottle very quickly. Grounding is a very good thing!

Well, I'm not getting any of the notes I wanted to get. I am getting smoke and a chemical-tanned leather, nothing else. Combined it almost smells like brimstone or something. Smelled like that in the bottle, smelled like that on application, smells like that on drydown. Maybe a hint of incense coming out now. Maybe.

Waiting.

ETA: A little more incense. Not much. Leather is slowly morphing into the smell of a good leather shop. Still smells like a just-lit match to me. I was so looking forward to this, but I dunno if it's my chemistry or what. I shook it well before I applied.

ETA2: And now it has completely changed. It is a soft melding of incenses, not strong like Gitana, nor the same type incenses; more delicate and aerial. THIS, I like.

Edited by AlienChangeling

I'm going to do this backwards, because the extreme drydown is on my arm right now. It's a skin scent. Really a skin scent. Vaguely sweet, vaguely musky, and quite subtle. Very pretty! AC, I think our long drydowns are similar.

So: Wet in the vial, it's smokey Oud. And maybe a touch of dirt. Intriguing. When it hits my skin, it sort of warms and expands. It gets a hint of almost nuttiness for an instant, and starts to sweeten just a bit. It's very woody, earthy, and truly a bit like sitting on the ground out in the forest on a warm day. Not sure why I get that, but it's definitely in there. I think I'm getting the Valerian adding to the earthy/woody/dried-herbalness. There's a bit of wood smoke literally around the edges of where I swiped the perfume. But you know what? IT'S NOT AMPING. Holy freakin' doo-dah! Non-amping smoke on MY skin!!! Then I feel the resins sweetening it more, and...there's some leather joining the blend. And again: HOLY FREAKIN' DOO-DAH. I usually amp the leather to kingdom come, but not in this! :w00t:

Now I am being seduced by the Unseelie. But I agree with Gaby--this is grounding and good. Not a bad faerie at all. Dark, yes. But not evil. I can't stop sniffing my arm, and I've not worn a scent quite like this before. It's perplexing and yeah, it feels protective. That's part of the sitting-in-the-forest thing. AH! The kind of sweetness I perceive in it is the same sweetness you get from the dried grass in the forest in the summer. THAT'S why I get the forest feel.

Once it reaches this stage of drydown, the blend pretty much stays the way it's morphed. I think I am gradually falling hard in love with this one. It seems like it might be too...what...hard-edged maybe? And yet, it's not. It's direct, and it stands firm in its personality, but it does not overwhelm. GODS this is good. And then eventually, it turns into the subtle, sweet skin scent that I started out with.

WHOA. I hope I can snag a bottle before it's gone!!! :burning-heart:

It's almost a relief that this one is not playing well on my skin -- leaves more money to spend on Torrid S!

It reminds me of Bulgari Black, which turns to burnt-rubber-and-truck-tires on me, too. Am I amping the leather, maybe?

But Unseelie is beautifully crafted, and I envy those who can wear it.

Edited by Just Ducky

So interesting! I usually amp leather, but i can barely smell it on me in this! I'm not too familiar with the scents of a lot of ingredients in this, so this initially wasn't on my radar until I read Gabby's incredible review. I'm getting a mild, pleasant and surprising sweetness from this.. This is deep and complex yet surprisingly not too heavy (if that makes any sense). I think it's whatever that's giving it the sweetness that keeps this from being too heavy. It's not traditionally sexy; it's mysterious, and i think the mystery makes it intriguing, makes you want to lean in for another sniff. I'd love to smell this on a man, too.

Another surprise for the month!

Sharing Mr. goddess' review. I had him wear this again to work, and a few people said it smelled like incense on him. He's not digging it as much as Spirit Bottle, but we'll keep the full bottle I ordered. I think I'll try a full application sometime today as well.

Initially on the 1st try this had a "used bandage water smell" sorry Mara my same thoughts before I acquired the taste for scotch. I wanted SO-O-O-O badly to LUV, LUV, LUV this scent (description of ingredients was right up my ally !). I left the bottle uncovered for a few days and that "yucky smell" is mostly gone, that or now I've acquired the tolerance for that ingredient/smell...Hah !!

in any case, I LUV it now :) and glad I bought a full sz btl and gave it another try, thinking if I let this age a bit more it'll be PERFECT !!

ps: Nice review Gaby !

Oud seems to be the most revered scent note right now in perfumery and I was a bit dissapointed the first time I smelled a mainstream oudless oud frag out there and I'm so happy to find an oud fragrance that does smell like oud but it doesn't slap you in the face...

Last year I would have said that for sure; but it seems like a lot of the big houses are going for a lighter aura this year.

First, I just need to say to the Naughty Jester: Awesome description!! I was totally pulled in!!

:clapW2:

The scent is definitely not me. But I do appreciate the depth of it. And I like the drydown much better than the wet stage. Very woodsy, deep and dark.

It's interesting because I don't really get a woodsy impression at all except for the oude, which I don't tend to think of that way. It always strikes me as more resin-like. This is primarily all oude and leather on me and as such is incredibly sexy and naughty in a dark side sort of way. In the drydown I get a nice smooth dark resin impression, particularly the copal. This is definitely the sort of thing I love, with a masculine aura. absolutely purr-worthy, can't wait to dab it on the Quince-beast!

This one really took me by surprise. I was not sure what to expect and the Oude scent was so strong in the bottle I had to think about it a little. It had a strong scent when I first applied it but it soon smoothed out. Even smooth it is a very strong, deep oude scent. This is definitely a masculine scent. I would not really consider it uni-sex even though a few of the ladies have said they like the smell on their skin.

I do not get a woodsy or a sweet scent on my skin either, but that is part of the beauty of these products. They are a little different on everyone given your individual body chemistry. It is very deep and there is a smokiness to it, but more like the scent of a nearby fresh campfire smokiness, not the stale smell of an old fireplace.

I will continue to test this one to include asking some of my trusted female "noses" and edit this post as time goes on.

Edited by quietguy

OK I'm curious. What does oud smell like? Is this the thing I'm smelling other than the leather? Why does it smell like burnt match on me? It takes hours for it to morph into something I like the smell of, and by then it's starting to fade...

For me oud is a very deep dark resin kind of impression, but with more of a wood-like characteristic. A friend of mine describes it as: "Sandalwood's evil cousin," and I guess that's kind of apt except not really (lol). Since there is a woodsmoke note in this I guess that's what you must be amping. The opium accord may be coming across like that as well.

I wore a good amount of Unseelie yesterday, even refreshed at lunch! It's so interesting!! A little heavy on the leather for me, so I think today I will try a bit smooshed with LP Orig., and see if I can sweeten it up.

I knew this one wouldn't work for me because my skin just doesn't do well with incense type scents. I didn't think it was that bad actually though, didn't amp to the point where I get headaches but Mr Scrumptious wasn't at all keen... He took one sniff and said; "You smell like you've been cooking curry and forgot to wash your hands" :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I just love this dark complex potion..

With the list of ingredients and smelling It brought to my imigination of a smokey Cauldron and smelling a leather medicine bag which holds forbidden herbs and resins to brew a magical but poisonous concoction.

• 2 weeks later...

This smells like some wonderful magical oil I've gotten from an occult shop sometime in the past! I get the leather, but if I didn't know it was in there that's not what I would've thought it was, probably because the resins temper it. There's a somewhat powdery top note at first but it's beautiful, not baby powder. I'm not getting a whole lot of resins but I have other resinous oils I could layer this over. This is NOT a girly girly scent. Very unusual, and I've never smelled anything remotely like it. Love it!

Later note: the leather fades and more resins come to the forefront. This has some great scent progression, from the powdery top note, the strong leather middle, and then resins at the last.

Edited by Darbla

I'm glad to know that! Grounding is always helpful. So excited to get my sample.

• 7 months later...

This is the epitome of dark, smoky, spicy, and resinous. I'm not sure it is one I would wear on its own, but it could be nice to add an accent to some of the sweeter blends. Very complex and interesting.

• 2 months later...

I know some of you were saying this isn't really a sexy scent, but I think Dominance phero would go with it marvelously. Wish we still had Intellectual Woman. I'm getting a bottle for this Fall/Halloween season. Love it!

Edited by Darbla