Strange & Unusual

Beccah

AD-StrangeUnusual_LovePotion.jpg

Strange & Unusual

Here's a potion for all the strange little girls out there for whom every day is Halloween (and handbooks for the recently deceased are easy to understand)…the dark exotica of Indian resins, sandalwood and spicy dragon's blood made diabolically delicious with vanilla, maple and buttercream, ghoulishly enchanting with a handful of freshly-tilled earth and hay, hovering hauntingly over a sheer bed of white musk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

INDIAN MAJMUA, SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
MUSK ~
Self-confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
DRAGON'S BLOOD ~ Entices errant lovers to return, increases
power of other ingredients. Love, protection, exorcism, potency.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
BUTTERCREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.
MAPLE ~ Love attraction, longevity; money attractant.
EARTH ~ Grounding, centering, protection, renewal, reincarnation, life.
HAY ~ Friendliness, fruitfulness.

I'm hoping this one doesn't smell as good as it sounds, j/k !

Dragon's Blood is if-y on me :(

Earth, hmm...would that be like soil or graveyard dirt ? LUV, LUV, LUV the smell of soil/dirt ! Going on a cemetery walk the last week of OCT, last year I was surrounded by the smell of fresh loam, wished I had brought a small spoon and baggie to steal borrow some, this year I will....is that ok? or disrespectful ?

anyway, if there's a botlle left after the frenzy, it's mine :D

Edited by liz

oh crap !

ANOTHER ONE I MUST HAVE <_<

Raq...you're gonna love this one !!! (was it you that wanted to really try this one?)

The majmua (sandalwood ?) and vanilla meld nicely together (maybe the buttercream has a play in it too) AND the dragon's blood LOVES ME TODAY :thumbup:

EXOTIC is putting mildly, or it could be cause I'm in LPMP euphoria right nao ! (sampled 4 NRs, that's my limit these days)

Edited by liz

oh and your other ?,IMO,not disrepectfull at all,go for it! :D

Personally, I wouldn't take the dirt directly from someone's grave (unless you're trying to whip up some bad juju), but otherwise okay.

oh crap !

ANOTHER ONE I MUST HAVE <_<

Raq...you're gonna love this one !!! (was it you that wanted to really try this one?)

The majmua (sandalwood ?) and vanilla meld nicely together (maybe the buttercream has a play in it too) AND the dragon's blood LOVES ME TODAY :thumbup:

EXOTIC is putting mildly, or it could be cause I'm in LPMP euphoria right nao ! (sampled 4 NRs, that's my limit these days)

Yes this is on on my list. can't wait! Dragon's blood is iffy on me too but more of a red flag is the musk. I just can't do musk. But those two things are in a couple blends I have, though more in the background, so we'll see. Is it similar to Beyond the Veil? (LOVE BTV)

I'm with perfume sniffer on this one. I might need a trial vial before buying. All the notes sound good apart from the hay which I'm not sure about.

I had a trial vial of an LP, the name escapes me now, called Hallowed something or other, or something to that effect and it was all flowery notes but it had dirt or earthy-grass notes and sometimes the whole would meld beautifully but sometimes the grass would come through too much and SO would ask me why I smelled like I had been mowing the lawn!

Edited by Indigo

Strange and Unusual is the perfect name for this, in that it's strange and unusual for a scent to be both deeply resiny smelling AND be light! The musk and sandalwood are to die for in here. They are the perfect base for this. The vanilla sits in the middle and lighten the fragrance up. The buttercream is so rich and buttery, I could eat it up. And finally the maple and dragon's blood meld so well with each other. It's sweet and spicy and the crowning glory on this. I don't get much earth or hay in this at all. Another scent that wasn't on my radar that i love!!!!!!

You coupled up ladies, try a dab of this on your fellow. I have a hunch that this might smell nice on a man.

OH MY GOOGLY GOLLIES!!!!!!!!

THIS is why I HATE missing out on the monthly sampler. NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD I HAVE ORDERED THIS SAMPLE ON MY OWN.

The Mujamuja word and Indian resin reference would have completely freaked me out. The mere fact that Beyond the Veil ( a perfume that I still believe tried to take my life one night) was even MENTIONED in this thread would be enough for me to steer clear.

But my oh my!! Surprise hit for me!

I can smell EVERYTHING mentioned in this but it is so beautifully balanced that nothing is overtaking anything! Not even what I thought would which is the dragons blood. I think I smell the maple most but no too much...again...nothing overshadows anything else. But I think the maple and maybe buttercream mellows those notes that could have been too strong for me.

The earth and hay are there but you really have to search and to me they went away pretty quick.

Yep this is strange and unusual and WAY different for me.

I love how Mara makes different blends so appealing so my collection is so diverse.

The mere fact that Beyond the Veil ( a perfume that I still believe tried to take my life one night) was even MENTIONED in this thread would be enough for me to steer clear.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree totally!!! This is not BlueBear at all but I love it!!

holy moly. I really like this one. Going to give it a try later this week on its own, but wow!! I can't even put my finger on it. is it the musk? the hay? something in this just keeps pulling my nose back to it.

This was a surprise like for me too. I don't think I would purchase a full bottle, but I will use my sample. Anyone who's interested but afraid of resins should try this because it's on the light side. I'm not going to try to describe it because I honestly have no idea what notes I'm smelling, but I will say it's a deeply beautiful scent.

Yes it is a little hard to explain. Especially since it smelled completely different on me the last time I wore it, but still delicious. I smelled the hay a little more last night and I also thought it smelled a little spicy. Although I see no spice up there in the ingredients. I love the maple/buttercream sweetness that hangs around it though. I wish it lasted longer on my skin though...

This is shaping up to be a surprise favorite!! Maybe even in the top 3 from this month!! It's a morpher for sure. I smell the hay, then I don't. Suddenly a tiny hit of sandalwood, but overall it's seamlessly blended. It's mysterious and a bit hippy-ish on me, but it has a certain lightness as well. I'm sure I could get away with wearing a tiny bit to work!!

This is really interesting to me in a certain way; like how the hay note can work so well with different things. It's usually prominent for me, but I like how it smooths out the other elements. And the sweetness is underneath it all, which is surprising (I thought it would be on top). However, I think the sandalwood, white musk and dragon's blood will prevent me from wearing this, I can already feel a migraine coming on, sadly. But for those who like the dark resin-y smooth complex kind of scents this is a classic construction, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is so "ME" that I can't even describe it properly. It's deep, exotic, delicious, slightly spicy, foody, and rich. It dries down perfectly. It lasts perfectly. The hay and earth are exactly...wonderful. The whole scent is exactly wonderful!!! I am completely in love with Strange and Unusual. Hell, I AM Strange and Unusual. Heh. I need a full bottle very, very much. Maybe two--spray and oil. Like luna said above--this is indeed a classic construction. And you know? On long drydown, it gets very classic and classy. Sophisticated.

Mmmm-mmmm-mmmmmmmmm!!!

:burning-heart:

Edited by ElizabethOSP

Despite all the strange and unusual ingredients in this, I actually am enjoying it. I thought I would be all. " What the HAY?" but it's very dark and rich on me. I can't decipher any notes in this, to me it smells exotic, like an exotic man. Like my BF. I get a very dark and sexy masculine vibe from this. I actually like this. I bet this one is going to age divinely.

• I really love this one, everything is so evenly balanced that no one note takes over another. This type of sandalwood seems to make everything bond together so nicely and after a few hours it just continues to give off amazing wiffs. I like how the musk lays low and then at about hour 4 it comes out ever so nicely… This scent is so beautifully crafted that there is nothing strange and unusual about it excepts it name…I love it.

Had I not sampled this I would have never thought to put this on my bottle list to purchase

• 1 month later...

I really like this! This would be to die for boosted with La Femme Noir! This reminds me of a sultry and very bad girl version of Spark in the Dark and maybe even the banana one from a while ago. I get this deep musky scent that can be masculine but is all sexy lady. This gives me the impression of VAMP. Like I want to wear a black leather dress and smolder people with my eyes or something. I want to make a smolder face. I am actually smoldering right now. Smolder. Sniff. Smolder.

• 7 months later...

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, because when I did my first big sample order at the beginning of the summer, this was my surprise favorite! I honestly ordered it because I loved the name, the label, and the description, but I thought it would be one of those where I fall in love with those elements and the scent itself doesn't work for me. Because--maple? HAY? No, no, no.

The minute I put this on I was in love with it. At times, I can pick out individual notes--the maple, the buttercream--but mostly it just blends perfectly in this odd, sweet (but not sugar-y sweet) and slightly spicy, slightly earthy, very mysterious and subtle but potent scent. Incense-y resins can sometimes give me a headache, but they didn't here. I was also afraid that the hay note would provoke an allergic response (I get that sometimes with greens and water accords) but it's been just fine.

So, if you harbor a little goth girl inside, this is for you. But if your little goth girl needs to put on a nice outfit and go to work, or a big family dinner, she can wear this.

• 4 months later...

This is one of those where my sample will not be enough, but I'm not sure I would use a full bottle. So I usually collect samples, lol.

It is softly spicy, darkly sweet, and definitely Strange & Unusual. But I love it. When I have it on, I can't stop huffing my arm. It does make me feel vampy, like I am so sensual and mysterious... I love BlackCat's visual of a goth girl who has to do grown-up things!

• 1 year later...

On me while wet this has a scent that is almost like magnolia even though there is no magnolia in it. The scent is heavy and sweet at the same time. I would guess it is the well blended nature of it; the vanilla and buttercream sweetening the majmua and sandalwood into an almost floral scented confection. Floating around the edges of that scent is the soft musk, adding a little sexy to the pretty.

On drydown it is mostly sandalwood and musk, which is very nice. I like it from beginning to end.