Do pheros and cops expire?

I'm still fairly new to this amazing phero world and I'm totally addicted. I'm sure this has been answered before, but couldn't find a thread...

I have bought pheros in scents and Unscented, OCCOs... How long do they last? Do they expire? I store them in my closet (away from heat, light etc..)

Pheros last AGES, as long as you keep them away from heat and light. Those are the deadly enemies of pheros.

Stone Labs (one of our suppliers) tested their phero blends at the 3 year mark and found 0% degradation. :)

Scents differ. We say that our scents have a shelf life of around 6 years to be on the safe side. But some things - for example scents with a lot of delicate herbal or citrusy essential oils - may last only around 3 years. Heavier resinous blends last decades. In any case, they never get "dangerous" (someone asked about that a few months ago), the worst than can happen is they lose their freshness or dimension. When scents go "off" you start getting an undercurrent like old olive oil. Many people never even notice it, but I do.

And as with pheros, cool and dark preserves them the best. Your closet or under your bed are the perfect places to store them.

Is it horrible if your scents are occasionally exposed to the light from a lamp? My perfumes are under my side coffee table for easy access, but sometimes I leave one out on my table for a few minutes. And my windows are at least ten feet away from my table. Am I making a huge mistake??

Here's another newbie question:

Do pheros have to be sprayed directly on skin to work? Or can u spray on hair/clothes too?

You can spray pheros on your hair or on cloths. But remember, if the blend contains any cops, it's not advisable to spray on hair/cloths, because an unpleasant smell will remain on hair/cloths which is difficult to wash off.

From my experience, I prefer spraying the pheros on my skin (wrists, neck etc), because together with the body chemistry and body heat they seem to work better than on cloths. But at the same time, I spray a bit on my hair for better diffusion.

The amount of cops in Cougar is very small. Doesn't normally cause an issue on hair.....now, something with BI, Sexpionage, LAM/BAM, or OCCO.......definitely not on the hair! You will probably have a hard time getting the rid of the lingering coochy-head remnants!

• 1 month later...

Glad this question was asked!

• 7 months later...

This is good to know. I keep my pheros in a drawer that I rarely go in, but I keep them zip locked and bubble wrapped. I only take the one out that I am testing or wearing. I had a bad experience with some pheros (not love potion's) that were in a dropper. Before I had a chance to use them - a good portion of them evaporated. So I really wrap them with a little air as possible. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I am afraid of taking chances.

That's good to know. I am scared of losing product. How have your sprays held up?

My sprays are all from 2012 and the bulk of them have half the bottle or less in them, so I think most will be used up prior to year end...so those babies don't get a chance to get old....LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question: what will happen if they are exposed to heat and light? i, too, have mine in a cool dark place, but i took a phero oil roll on with me in my purse while driving and didnt notice it had fallen out in my warm car after i'd gotten out. it was maybe an hour before i noticed and retrieved it. i took a sniff and things seemed fine, but i was just curious.

This is good to know. I keep my pheros in a drawer that I rarely go in, but I keep them zip locked and bubble wrapped. I only take the one out that I am testing or wearing. I had a bad experience with some pheros (not love potion's) that were in a dropper. Before I had a chance to use them - a good portion of them evaporated. So I really wrap them with a little air as possible. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I am afraid of taking chances.

I know this is older but I have to ask wouldn't that mean it was mainly alcohol and maybe even some water, and in a bottle without a tight seal. Sounds like a really bad product.

I have all my LPs in my closet, so it's mostly dark and an even temp. My sprays are all sitting on a shelf, I don't wrap them but they have their lids, caps ect. I have not noticed any reduction.

Good point StacyK. Now I am even angrier about buying from that particular company! I will say that the product did have an effect, just not the intended effect and I had to throw it away.

I know this is older but I have to ask wouldn't that mean it was mainly alcohol and maybe even some water, and in a bottle without a tight seal. Sounds like a really bad product.
I have all my LPs in my closet, so it's mostly dark and an even temp. My sprays are all sitting on a shelf, I don't wrap them but they have their lids, caps ect. I have not noticed any reduction.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does the alcohol evaporation over time make the fragrance stronger? I'm not sure I'm using the proper terminology, but I was wondering if I had something at cologne strength sitting out, would the concentration bump up to parfum strength after evaporation.

That's an excellent question, I'd like to know as well. We'll see what the experienced members say.

I would say "No." I made the mistake of not storing some commercial perfume properly. When I went to use it, it was all alcohol, the scent was virtually gone. In that sense the answer would be a definite no. If the scent evaporated, there's nothing to bump up in strength.

• 3 weeks later...

I know in the About Us section of the site, it says this:

Properly stored, our fragrances have a typical shelf life of 5-6 years.

Which would put us back to 2008 or 2009 fragrances. I'm curious if anyone has noticed how their oldest scents may have changed a bit (assuming there is anything left of course!)

I know in the About Us section of the site, it says this:

Properly stored, our fragrances have a typical shelf life of 5-6 years.

Which would put us back to 2008 or 2009 fragrances. I'm curious if anyone has noticed how their oldest scents may have changed a bit (assuming there is anything left of course!)

There's a thread specific to this point, I believe. What I do remember is that if properly stored these scents or pheros can last longer than that.

Resins age very well and can last ages. I think citrus notes are among those that can degrade faster, though I have some citrus scents going back 8 years (not LP I have not been here that long) still going strong.

Some of my LPs have quite literally improved with age.

They can definitely last longer than 5-6 years. Mara put that up to be safe and to just put a number on it. I have many many LPs that are older than that. Citrus and other top notes degrade the fastest. For instance I have LP Gold from the original brew. The citrus is almost entirely gone but the vanilla/amber/patch are still going strong. This is all dependent on storing them properly of course.

This is all dependent on storing them properly of course.

Wouldn't an LP Cellar be cool, complete with velvet lounges (for humans and felines), a decked out "sniffing bar" ( A la tasting bar in wine cellars) And a spotlighted big ol' velvet painting (in a gold bejeweled frame befitting a rock star) of our Founder and Chief Alchemist Mara?

I live to daydream... it makes mundane matters so much more bearable.

• 4 months later...
Guest cutie.pie

Pheros last AGES, as long as you keep them away from heat and light.

I have a mirror heating panel in my bedroom, can it harm my pheros and scents if I leave them on my dresser?