18 Samples, First Impressions

Okay, I got the bottles I ordered plus a whole bunch o' samples! This is going to be FUN!

The first day I ended up putting five seven different trials on me; one on every wrist, forearm and shoulder and Perfect Match (which I thought should have a smell but now know not) all over my cleavage.

Perfect Match definitely has staying power with that oil base, no definite self results yet and no victim yet to try it on...

The dog came over for her nightly head rub, took a good long inhale (without snuffing like they usually do) of my left hand, and I swear her eyes rolled to the left and she nearly swooned. Gawd knows what this stuff smells like to a canine nose.. the cat did that 'oowie' face to Seven Tears this morning, and I have original Love Potion #9 on now. I think the Seven Tears may have made me crabby but the smell was wonderful. Like flower petals soaking in clean ocean waves.

The LP #9 is Pure Classic; It smells like the back seat of a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow after Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart exit, all dressed up and ready for the Oscars.

Love that image!

Me, too!!! ( I *still* haven't tried LP#9, and it sounds sooo good. Duh.) Signalfire, I have Portmanteau with the Perfect Match phero, and I love it! Makes me feel sort of friendly and mellow and relaxed and conversational. Snuggly. Warm and fuzzy. :purr: Hee!

The LP #9 is Pure Classic; It smells like the back seat of a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow after Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart exit, all dressed up and ready for the Oscars.

I have never tired LP #9, I will need to get a sample of this one.... I love the image you have for this

I was reading last night in the 'sold out' section about Portmanteau. It looks like one I'd really love; if I understand it correctly, some 'out of stocks' can be recreated as private issues, but others can't because the ingredients are no longer available??

I've started taking notes on which ones I would like to sample and play with but it's hampered by the language's inability to amply describe smells. I love being able to nail a thought with words, and this is a true challenge; how do you describe even the commonplace experience of walking past a bakery, much less the smell of 'chypre' which I'm still quite unsure of. Even my beloved oakmoss, which is a single note, is nearly impossible to describe to another person, and everyone I've given the bottle to, to sample, has reacted without much... err, reaction. It sends me over the moon, far back in time to a place only my ancestors really knew...other people - meh. How surpassingly odd it all is!

Update for this morning, Love Potion #9 still on my wrists and the drydown aftermath is still lovely and calmingly elegant. I got really angry about something that happened yesterday, wrote a scathing email I was wise enough not to send, and washed off the Seven Tears which I was suspecting might have influenced my moods and substituted the LP#9 instead. I really think it helped. Took maybe an hour but it really calmed me down. (More on this in a separate thread, methinks).

Now, what to try today....? :)

I was reading last night in the 'sold out' section about Portmanteau. It looks like one I'd really love; if I understand it correctly, some 'out of stocks' can be recreated as private issues, but others can't because the ingredients are no longer available??

That's not exactly the way it works. If someone has a PE made, which then sells out, it is possible to request to have it rebrewed provided Mara can do so. Any perfume from the catalog is not subject to such a request, although in some cases you could request a simplified version as a PE, there is a limit of three notes plus an accent, as the catalog scents are far more complex. Sometimes Mara will rebrew a catalog scent but it depends on various factors.

If anyone is despairing of missing out on a sold-out scent, just do what everyone in artisan fragrance collector circles does in such a circumstance: watch the trade threads, and/or post an ISO request.

Okay, today's choice was from my tiny little sample bottle of Ail's Voluptuous Vanilla... ten minutes after putting this on I was craving cinnamon sticky buns and they're in the breadmixer now rising :) Even though I'm supposed to be avoiding sugar, fuggit, I'm tired of being carb-poor.

And I cleaned the kitchen. Twice. And rearranged the cupboards.

And brushed the shedding dogs who are driving me crazy with fur everywhere.

And I'm considering rearranging the living room and painting all the walls white, rather than the cabin-y light green some of them are now.

I think I turned into my grandmother.

Okay, two more. Hunter and the Woodland Nymph on my left arm: very subtle, absolutely sheer; but a lovely mix of forest floor and bakery. I could easily do a full bottle of this and rev it up with some kinda phero blend that would become a signature scent for wayward sinners :) For some reason, I'm smelling 'library' with this, also. Something from my memory banks that's too subtle to identify. Maybe lakeshore, sun and algae on sand.

The other arm is sporting Rocket Fuel. Dunno about this one. I don't think I like the cover smells and I've got no way to test the pheromones. Damnit.

And I'd like to state for the record that this is the first time in my life I've been able to try so many different scents in a few days' time and not get a headache from any of them. I agree with the 'Demeter' perfume guy. I hate perfume. I love this stuff. They smell REAL.

All the churches in the world, and none of them devoted to Potion Master worship? Now I tell you, that's what's wrong with this planet!

All the churches in the world, and none of them devoted to Potion Master worship? Now I tell you, that's what's wrong with this planet!

You're already here: the LPMP community is the church, and Mara is our goddess.

Okay, today's choice was from my tiny little sample bottle of Ail's Voluptuous Vanilla... ten minutes after putting this on I was craving cinnamon sticky buns and they're in the breadmixer now rising :) Even though I'm supposed to be avoiding sugar, fuggit, I'm tired of being carb-poor.

And I cleaned the kitchen. Twice. And rearranged the cupboards.

And brushed the shedding dogs who are driving me crazy with fur everywhere.

And I'm considering rearranging the living room and painting all the walls white, rather than the cabin-y light green some of them are now.

I think I turned into my grandmother.

I'm giggling... shoot, I could use some super-motivation! I wonder which LP would inspire my grandmother to come spirit me?

Okay, two more: BAM with sandalwood and resins: Can't smell any pheros or cops in this at all; the scent itself is dreamy and wonderful. If the pheros in it are anything near what they're purported to be like, this is well worth a full bottle. Or several. :)

Honeyed Love Potion! I want to post a video of George Takei saying, "OHHHHHH MYYYYYYY" to this. Full on but sheer apricots dosed with caramel sauce at first, then the apricots die down after an hour or two and you're left with honey caramel sauce. This has pheros too?

My present targeted victim's birthday is tomorrow. I haven't yet tried out anything on him but I'm thinking Honeyed LP and Perfect Match with a side order of BAM sandalwood might be a good mix. Or is this overkill? I'd hate for his first dose of pheros to be a headache or ghosting effect... are there any annointments that are almost foolproof or will I just have to take my chances?

Using three different pheromone mixes at the same time is overkill, IMO. Either Gotcha! (in the Honeyed Love Potion) or Perfect Match with maybe just a couple swipes of BAM! would likely be the better strategy.

I agree. It's really important to try each on their own and learn the properties of each blend first. You will have no idea what to adjust if if it doesn't work out. Also these blends are delicately proportioned with particular ratios. Adding more than one blend throws all of that off and they may even cancel each other out.

Thank you, ma'ams :)

Starting from scratch and wanting to influence One Certain Individual that I don't see often is dicey. Every visit with him is fraught with "this may be the last chance I get to make an indelible impression...")

I know I can put on just about anything and get hits at the grocery store (once had an old Italian man follow me up and down the aisles wearing EoW. And got absent-mindedly carded at the ripe old age of 54 (!) by a DIHL teenage boy checkout clerk. Keep in mind, I wasn't even buying any alcohol at the time...LOL).

Forgive Me, Internet Phero Forum, for I have sinned. It has been several days since my last confession...

Okay, so the last few trials were not successful. Phero Girl just gave me a dull headache and a feeling that the brain I used to rely on was shorting out. I'm gonna need to create a cheat sheet to figure out which pheros are doing what to me. So far my favorite after several trials with it is Honey'd LP. That apricot and honey slathered dessert thing really works for me for cold rainy weather; not sure how well it will work once the sky clears and I remember there's blue up there again, though. Need something that works during the heat of the summer... :)

Love Potion #7 is lovely and I could wear that one every day but there's no pheros in that, right? Hmmm... I want the nice smells but I want the extra oomph of knowing that I'm throwing more than crumbs out there for Hansel to follow home, y'know what I mean? I even sort of snicker at the thought of walking into a crowded place and turning heads, only to have said heads find out they're reacting to a little ol' chubby lady like me :) Whippersnappers.

Hey, that's a great name for a potion! 'Whippersnappers!!'

Edited by signalfire

When you find out which phero(s) you like best though you can have your LP #7 boosted with it!

And don't worry Mara will be presenting us with more than enough options for sunny summer days soon...

Phero girl only has cops in it...but cops used to make my brain short out a little too when I first started wearing them. Ha! Don't know why. Made me a little dizzy actually.

Yup, yup; definitely a never-ending supply here of selections; I may need to attract a Sugar Daddy to help pay for them all :)

There's definitely something, I'm thinking the B-androstenole or -rone (sp?) one that's a headache inducer. And I've known for a long time that most florals give me a headache or a dashed-feeling; not good. I'm having to pick my way through these carefully and take copious notes, since there's ingredients I'm not fully cued in to. I'm thinking the sweet but not pink sweet (since I'm not that young anymore) and honey-resin scents will work best for me. Any anything lavender, almond or vanilla is always a winner. I use plain vanilla extract some days as a perfume just to calm out. It's very soothing and right now I need all of that I can get.

Right; it can be many things: candy, berries, flowers...it's really about the tone of the scent, I think, even more than being an actual thing.

Makes sense; blue smells like water and sky smells, green like grass, the forest etc.

The 'black' smells to me must be the deepest richest resins and musk, red is, well, RED, screaming red dress in the red light district (ha!) and white would probably be virginal, pure, youthful and light, along with light-hearted, although hopefully with an LP twist of 'gotcha'...

I'm getting it...

It's all subjective, really, but there are elements which are common in regards to evocation in the scent-color paradigm.

On the other hand, you can create a scent which is meant to have a literal color impression by using notes which are the actual color itself. There are examples of both these aspects in the LPMP catalog.

Any anything lavender, almond or vanilla is always a winner. I use plain vanilla extract some days as a perfume just to calm out. It's very soothing and right now I need all of that I can get.

I started out as a fruit and floral scent lover and move on to others. I'm in vanilla-ish phase now (and for a while already) and love Beth's Blushing Milkmaid. Try it as you might like it.

Mmmm!!!! Pithivier! Smells like fudge. Warm hot fudge sundaes.

I've had Love Potion #7 on my hand all day and I can't get enough of it. Lovely and light but there's something deep and rich here. This will definitely be a full bottle while it's still available.

And I tried Essential Mystique Hydrating water on the other hand. Much more complex, resinous. The smell only lasted a few hours compared to LP#7's long distance run but I like this one too. More of an evening out kind of thing.