Beccah

Well, I've tried Blackstone a few times, and it's been a very interesting experience! I appreciate Stacy K's distinction between the coffee note in Blackstone and the one in TT -- maybe I'm just too limited in my scent repertoire for coffee, but I couldn't pick up on anything that smelled like coffee to me here. I loved the coffee in TT and in Cops and Robbers and was hoping for something similar, but this is a horse of a totally different color.

I get the cherry in a blast initially, but then it quickly becomes mired in a swampy cloud of --I'm not sure what. Maybe the currants? It doesn't smell fruity, it doesn't smell resinous, it's just kind of piercing and chemical. When I sniff it in the vial I get something of what most others have described here, that fruity darkness (no coffee, though!), but then my skin turns this to something truly not workable. Sadness!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's very Resinous. The coffee note in it comes from Amber. It reminded me instantly of when I worked in a French patisserie. It smells, to me like the espresso grounds after I pulled an espresso. The cherry on me is noticeable and a little bright at first but then in blends down and after a time it adds to the coffee smell, like a bag of dark roasted beans just cut open and you smell the dark earthy coffee with a hint of cherry.

TT is very different it's a milky coffee. I love that too. it pairs well with foodie scents also. If you have Mayberry try a swipe of TT in your cleavage. TDF. Also the LP Autumnal equinox is great with TT.

Blackstone with a dose of cops in it is also great. I

I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

Edited by StacyK

hm, wouldn't the coffee note come from the coffee note! :Emoticons04280: This thread being refreshed made me wear this today. With aging the resins have deepened quite a lot on me - it's more explicitly sexual now. :cheeky:

Yes remember there is a coffee note in Blackstone.

BLACK COFFEE ~ Focus, stamina, concentration, determination.

For me this is a darker version of Special Delivery and that's what I like best about it.

It has a "coffee amber" kind of vibe like in Luna's Sungold Mocha, I think that's what you're getting.

Yes I wanted to say "coffee amber" as discussed before up thread.

I think the "Black Coffee" and "Dark Resins" make up the best earthy dark coffee scent.

Edited by StacyK

• 7 months later...

Just got a sample of this today, and it reminds me SO much of PG: Dominance, which I loved so much, but unfortunately, as much as I desperately want to be bad-ass, the phero comes across a little inauthentic on me. I just can't do dominance. So I am thrilled to have this scent! I am currently crushing on someone who is in the magical arts, so this is perfect. I may amp it with LFN or CB, both of which are a little more in line with my mojo.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a FB of this during the sale. It was a scent I decided I just had to try even though I thought for sure it would not work on me. (I tend to amp resins in scents.) The combo of black cherry, Black Current, chocolate, and coffee sounded too good to pass up.

I am so glad I trusted my instinct on this one! When I first put this on, it is very strong coffee, black cherry, and chocolate. Love!!! But when it dries down, it changes and the resins start to appear, but to my surprise, they stay mellow and in the background. I think the black current steps up more at this point because there is a perfumey note that appears and mixes up the chocolate, black cherry, and coffee into this swirly perfumey goodness!

On top of all of this, this scent seems to give me a boost of confidence, strength, and determination.

This will be in regular rotation for me.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I wear this, the more I love it! I went back and reread this thread and at first thought "this smells like Bettie Page?" But every single time I wear it, I now think of Bettie Page and how I never realized that I've always wanted to smell just like her! Ha! Love this one so much!!! I'm stocking up on it.

Edited by tink333

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious about the black resins in this scent. What are they exactly? Are they individual resins that are already sugared layerables that someone (who is possibly obsessed with this scent) can buy and combine them to resemble the black resins in this scent?

• 10 months later...

I've been eyeing an fb since it was launched but never got down to getting one till the recent sale. This one turned out to be really deep, dark and mysterious on me and I guess it's because I amped resins. I did get a blast of cherry on wet but the currant surfaced together with the resins which eventually dominated the rest of the notes. At certain stage I got the scent of incense in the background. The red mica added a nice touch to the bottle. I'm not sure if I will wear Blackstone as it's way too dark for me although I think I could wear this for Halloween.

I can't believe I never reviewed this one. This is Special Ds older, sexy and evil stepsister. I love the chocolate-cherry that reminds me of Special D mixed with the darker coffee. Unfortunately for me, currant and resins are a no-go on my skin. Death notes for me. I wish this worked on me- sniffed from the vial is gorgeous!

I got a vial of this in the Halloween Grab bag (well actually more like Hallowe'en pumpkin bag). It surprised me for being included in the set, and I immediately reached for it. Somehow I had thought it was a male scent. Oh my goodness, just so happens I love me Mara's cherry scents, especially the ones that steer away from cough-drop territory. And combined with resins and coffee...this is drop-dead sexy on me. I am going to combine with Dominance and cops, or Sexpionage. This needs to be worn and not kept in a bottle !!!

• 1 year later...

I almost got rid of this but I pulled this scent back out for Valentine's day. It's a perfect chocolate cherry Valentine's scent! It reminds me of red hearts and chocolate! I like how the coffee adds a little something extra and keeps it from going cloying. I don't have a lot of Valentine's scents so I'm glad I kept it.

I almost got rid of this but I pulled this scent back out for Valentine's day. It's a perfect chocolate cherry Valentine's scent! It reminds me of red hearts and chocolate! I like how the coffee adds a little something extra and keeps it from going cloying. I don't have a lot of Valentine's scents so I'm glad I kept it.

This is the most gorgeous scent. It's definitely developed with age. I have cops added to one bottle. It takes the scent to a whole other level. Amazing. I really don't know why there is any left. It's delicious, sultry & delightful.

Also, as mentioned, an excellent Valentine scent. Very on the nose there.

• 2 months later...

Oh man, this is a :hearts0425: for me. My all-time favorite purchase in a chocolatier is chocolate-covered cherries. Pairing my favorite decadence with black resins and black coffee? That's just magic.

This will be my go-to at work :bday1029: I get to start my day right with coffee, then later stay socially perked up throughout the afternoon by the deep and dark sweets.

Edited by Ivysaur

• 2 months later...

This is excellence! It's probably my favorite sale purchase so far. How is this still here?! It's so sumptuous! It reminds me a bit of LP Bittersweet, but with the addition of juicy delicious black cherry. It's gourmand, but perfumey enough to not be too foodie, which can come off as a little juvenile to me. I like foodies now and then but this is so much better to me. The resins and the 'darkness' of the edible notes keep the sweetness in check. It's sweet, but a deep,slow, velvety kind of sweet. And it throws! And it lasts!! It lasts a long time, YAY! The coffee is divine in here too, like the coffee in Encens de Cafe and Bittersweet, just DIVINE! The chocolate is full bodied(at least 70% cocoa,haha)and you can just picture it melting slowly in your mouth. The currant is perfumey, not sharp or sour.I don't know if there's any musk, but the long drydown is a dark cherry chocolate musk on my skin. Delicious, but in a very grown woman (or man!, Yeah, I think so!) kind of way. If your waffling on this, DO NOT.

ETA: In the long drydown, I catch little wisps of rose now and again. I'm guessing one of the resins has a rose facet to it. Maybe a component of some kind of attar or something used. Whatever it is, it works. It's a Lovely accent.

Edited by cheeseburger79

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boo! This sounded like it would be right up my alley, and I got two samples in the sale. It smells great going on, but turns into a rose potpourri. I didn't see rose in the listed notes, although cheeseburger mentions it, so at least I'm not crazy. (Or if I am, still not imagining things lol.) The chocolate and coffee disappear within minutes of applying. I love cherry.chocolate scents, but, alas, this one does not love me back.

Hey rose, you should let it settle from traveling and try it again later. Shake the crap out of it too. Maybe you'll have a different experience. I've learned this over the last couple of years.

Hey rose, you should let it settle from traveling and try it again later. Shake the crap out of it too. Maybe you'll have a different experience. I've learned this over the last couple of years.

Thank you :) I will. They're tucked away in the back of my drawer in the "revisit later" section.

Oh boo! This sounded like it would be right up my alley, and I got two samples in the sale. It smells great going on, but turns into a rose potpourri. I didn't see rose in the listed notes, although cheeseburger mentions it, so at least I'm not crazy. (Or if I am, still not imagining things lol.) The chocolate and coffee disappear within minutes of applying. I love cherry.chocolate scents, but, alas, this one does not love me back.

HI. There's no rose or any floral in this at all. I believe Cheesy was just commenting on how it smells to her on her skin.

It's a resinous, dark chocolate/coffee, Cherry scent.

You might want to shake the bottle good. Or if a trial, turn it over & over a few times.

I can also tell you that I have mine boosted with cops which I think makes it smell even yummier. Like putting sugar in coffee.

But, it is a darker scent. It lasts quite awhile on me.

Sometimes, hormones play a roll in how you wear a scent. There are things that amp intensely at specific times of the month on me.

But, it may just be your general chemistry too. Not everything works on everyone. But, there is definitely something for everyone here. :)

Give it another try in a few days to see.

Also, if you like cherry/chocolate scents you should try Tingle Tangle.

Edited by StacyK

I think it's just a facet of one of the resins used. Like if there's a majmua or attar in there, there's possibly a rose component in one of them. But like Stacy says,I'm sure you can work with it. In addition to cops, you can try adding a vanilla like sugared cream or OCCO white?

I'm not giving up on it! I like the idea of adding a vanilla. And I GROW roses and love how they smell, although roses can smell distinctly different from each other. It is just not what I expected initially. They will be revisited :)

I'm now the proud owner of both Howl, and Velvet Kisses, both which have chocolate right? I got a sample of Tingle Tangle, but it is very similar to another fragrance (not LPMP) which I have backups of backups of. So will stick with just the trial size.

Edited by Eve

I'm now the proud owner of both Howl, and Velvet Kisses, both which have chocolate right?

Yes they both have more of a dark chocolate type of note.