Beccah

AD-Ionia_1.jpg

Ionia

The supremely glamorous Ionia the Enchantress was one of the few female magicians of her time, the youngest daughter of magicians Charles and Julia de Vere. Her specialty was Grand Illusion and she had a famously beautiful trick where she filled a room with a shower of glittering confetti by first starting with a lump of wet paper. The mechanics of her illusion involved filling an eggshell with dry confetti and crushing it while producing an ornate Chinese fan to send it swirling in the air, concealing the wet paper beneath in her palm. Our potion is an ode to her mysterious ways and includes an egg as well...a dessert recipe which was popular in her day: a pastry crafted of a spiced almond paste and egg mixture, swirled with raspberry jam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
ALMOND ~ Fertility, stamina, masculine energy, business success, money, prosperity, wisdom, intuition, insight,
talisman for successful and fertile marriage.
RASPBERRY ~ Love inducing, aids in pregnancy discomforts, protection. Stamina, vigor.
NUTMEG ~ Strengthens clairvoyance, luck, money, health, fidelity.
EGG ~ A representation of the world or the womb. Fertility, nourishment,
cycle of life, feminine energy.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.

The first four ingredients in Ionia are all in my favourite dessert, (which can only be made properly by my dear mum!), Linzer Torte. I've been salivating for a slice since I read the description last night! :)

In case anyone missed this <drool> :lol:

You saw the part that said that Blackstone is kinda like a DARK version of Special Delivery, right?

Well, for those of you that loved Because the Night and Ravenwing's White Forest Cake - Ionia came out like a combo of the two. Really delish. Almond/Raspberry cakey goodness!

I'm starting to think I just need to purchase the sampler for April

I did! In fact, I almost invariably end up doing so. After I peruse the NR selection, and realize that I already want to definitely trial at least 4... Which is $20... And then consider that Mara never fails to astound, and that so very often a combination which I never thought I could or would wear becomes a new preferred scent (Soaked and Goddess of the Blue Moon being perfect examples! I simply wouldn't have selected those on my own)... Well, it just makes sense ( or scents... Or cents... Because each of those meanings fit as well) for me to purchase the full sample set for only $4.95 more. My scent repertoire has certainly expanded in beautiful and wonderous directions with LP! Besides, there is ALWAYS someone (some Bear,even) who rejoices in those choices which do not fit my skin chemistry.

This is DELICIOUS!!! yes I am shouting. I get raspberry and almond with soft creamy vanilla. It's very light, so I'll need to slather. I just put more on so I could smell it better. OMG. I am dying. It's so soft and well blended. Full bottle for sure!!

This is DELICIOUS!!! yes I am shouting. I get raspberry and almond with soft creamy vanilla. It's very light, so I'll need to slather. I just put more on so I could smell it better. OMG. I am dying. It's so soft and well blended. Full bottle for sure!!

YAY! I've been waiting to see a review. I adore raspberry scents and have been tempted to go for it with a FB unsniffed. I have a feeling this one would be a winner for me. Now I'll have to see if I have the patience to order a sample first or dive in FB right away.

The almond sticks with me all the way through to drydown, but the comparison to Ravenwing's White Forest Cake is fairly apt, this is a really nice cake-y combination, it's got that dense creamy quality to it. I think because of the almond I can't really discern the raspberry as such, my brain keeps telling me it's cherry, but there's a berry note right in the center of it, but not too tart. It does soften really quickly and makes a nice skin scent if you like that sort of thing.

The almond sticks with me all the way through to drydown, but the comparison to Ravenwing's White Forest Cake is fairly apt, this is a really nice cake-y combination, it's got that dense creamy quality to it. I think because of the almond I can't really discern the raspberry as such, my brain keeps telling me it's cherry, but there's a berry note right in the center of it, but not too tart. It does soften really quickly and makes a nice skin scent if you like that sort of thing.

This did the same thing to me. I kept smelling cherry.. sometimes raspberry on me comes off as cherry - or maybe it's the almond.. It's a very syrupy cherry. I have to retest and see what other notes come out. I dabbed lightly and was doused in BlackStone and Pink Panties ( Levitation )

Like for Halo, the almond note does settle down quickly which is such a good thing for me! There are some almond notes which go all plasticky-marzipan :( on me. However, THIS almond is melding and blending nicely with the other notes, forming into a sweet almond-berry tart. YUM! :) :) :) Dense, creamy, sweet, and yummy. This will make a nice scent for Chametz Week/ pastry-theme. Very nicely done!

Edited by Chaionlife

Long ago I saw a recipe for raspberry eggnog, and I always meant to make it but hesitated when thinking of the possible calorie content. Now that it's been conveniently bottled up with zero cals I don't have to. :D This is like the perfume manifestation of that recipe. I am a total sucker for almond-based scents and this is a creamy, dreamy raspberry-laced vanilla-almondgasm that doesn't disappoint. The nutmeg is really soft and doesn't whack you in the face with spice. Love!

Ionia was the first one I grabbed to take a sniff when I picked up my order this morning. It smells wonderful in the vial, and on my skin at least for the first few minutes. But the almond is doing that thing it did to me in Because the NIght, turning all funny. Dammit and Boo. :EVB7BC~18:

That's a bummer, SpriteLeigh. I wonder if using cyclopentasiloxane roll-on under the perfume would stop it from going all funky on you?

I wore Ionia last night. I know upthread I mentioned that it sounded like Linzer torte, but I didn't expect it to smell so true! It smells just like my mum's Linzer Torte! LOL! The best LT in the whole entire world! So good! But it does fade, and quite quickly. I'm thinking about getting some cyclopentasiloxane myself, to see if I can't extend the life of these almond scents. Or with this one, at least, since there are no pheros, I could apply to my clothes to make it last. I really love it - for about an hour I smell like my favourite dessert! :D

I did remember to order a bottle of CPS, I haven't gotten around to trying it with any perfumes yet, I will absolutely give it a shot with Ionia sometime this weekend! I also ordered myself a nice sterling silver scent locket, so either way, I'm not giving up on this one, 'cause it smells delish!

P.S.: Wish I could try a slice of your Mum's Linzer Torte! :icecream:

A lovely, lovely scent. To my nose, it smells like a lighter Rosie's Wedding Cake. Everything blends so seamlessly; I don't get one note over the other. I'm a bit surprised I don't get more raspberry than I do. Actually...I don't get any raspberry. Warm and comforting but light enough for spring.

Wet, I got the terrible plastic-waxy DOOM that berries sometimes do on me....but it has gotten much better as it dries. So don't give up on it right away if you get the same at first! Now it's a macaron with a hard shell raspberry glaze. Looking forward to slathering next time.

Edited by tyvey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is really nice. The almond and raspberry are disappearing as it dries down, but that's okay because the vanilla, amber, and nutmeg are very soft and nice. Spices usually amp up on me but so far this one is playing nice.

• 4 weeks later...

This is quite almond-pastey on me. As in, it smells like paste. Not in a bad way, but it's quite unexpected. It reminds me a little of a type of Danish almond cookie. It's a nice, soft almond and vanilla scent, but it's not actually foody. Imagine an almond milk and vanilla bath wash. I don't get any fruit in this at all, which is nice because I amp berries like woah. It's a great skin scent, but it does turn a little on my skin (which a lot of vanilla scents do, boooo!).

If you're after a subtlely sweet, non-foody vanilla, think about giving this one a try!

• 4 weeks later...

I wore Ionia to work tonight, (paired with H&S), and a woman at one of my tables really loved it! I leaned between her and the woman seated next to her in order to set a drink on the table and she turned to me immediately and said, "What is that gorgeous perfume you'rewearing?". So I told her, and told her about LP, ('cause she wanted to know where I got it), and for the rest of the night she and the 10 other people at the table were trying to steal sniffs whenever I came near them to set anything down! :lol:

• 4 months later...

Hmm, I keep searching for the perfect pastry scent, now that I've gone through one and a half bottles of Prophetic Pie... wet in the vial this is very cough syrupy to my nose. Wet on my skin, the cough syrup becomes sweeter, like hard candy. Then as it settles and dries down, I start to get hints of flavors beyond the raspberry: a little almond, a little vanilla. But just as the other notes start to appear, the whole thing takes a giant step back and gets close to invisible. I'll see how it wears over the next little while; if it magically blooms into delicate pastry goodness (as some others have done, after an initially disappointing experience) I might still go for the bottle. If not, the sample will be more than enough.

• 4 months later...

I got a small sample of this with my last order and I really like the almond in this. Not as strong as in Alabaster Queen and it smells like a different Almond but I am really enjoying this one and the almond sticks around for me. I can see it would lend itself to blending with many other scents. Alone it is not a heavy scent. It is light and bright but not in a bad way. I think it will be a good warm weather scent. Added to my FB list....

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK...The raspberry is not a note I can pick out, but the ones I can are fabulous. Almond,Vanilla a touch of nutmeg and the Amber which seems to help blend everything. The raspberry may be coming through more as a bright note instead of the berry smell but the whole mix is just lovely. Glad a got a couple of bottles. Going to be wearing this for the scent since I am not looking for anything fertility related....unless it is just fertile ideas. LOL

This one is the biggest surprise I received from the sale. I was thinking it would be a typical gourmand scented blend, but it's more subtle and definitely not a strictly foodie smell. It's the sophisticated idea of a gourmet dessert, without the in-your-face cupcake scent one might expect.

Wet, I get almond bolstered by vanilla with a mid-range of 'not quite' cherry balanced with egg, followed by a whisper of the nutmeg. On my skin I smell a subtle flan with very persistent berry--which like Blue Bear noted, my brain wants to say cherry, but I hate cherry since it sours on me so I would know it if actually were an authentic cherry note. Ohhh, and that nutmeg is sooo subtle, it's amazing. I was hoping Sugared Moon Dust would express the nutty scents this subtly, but to me, that one just screams "nuts!" :P

Overall, Ionia is quite grown-up and more of a perfume than a tasty blend. The only thing that could make this less grown-up is the adorable glitter! I'm a sucker for glitter, hehehe.