Mental Illness and Pheromones?

Two disclaimers: I know that a doctor should always be consulted and medical care offered before messing around with the brain with pheromones. My friend is under the care of a shrink and getting medication, and this is more of a general question since I probably won't be getting her pheromones for awhile if at all.

and,

I'm writing all this stuff but it's not so much a specific "what to do in this case?" question-- though suggestions are appreciated. I guess I'm putting this out there because it's what I've been thinking about but I've also been curious if, aside from depression, anyone has succeeded with using pheromones with other mental issues. I understand mental illness can still sometimes be taboo so I'm not trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable. I often put things as "my friend" (though that's not the case here) when I want to have an increase anonymous buffer on the internet.

I have a girlfriend who I love to death but she has got so many issues she's like a caricature of a spazzed out chick.

I know that open windows and maybe heart's ease would help with her anxiety, but she also has to content with OCD (the ultimate [unwanted] focus potion!)

ADD (which I guess sometimes that would be good for focus potion), self-esteem issues but only sometimes, and a bunch of other things.

She used to think she was bipolar (and maybe that's still possible) because she'd have manic/depressive swings. She's seen a therapist and gotten anti-depressants

when she's had the money for it (and luckily now she's on military insurance so yay for that) and I think she's less manic now that she's not taking drugs (party girl.)

I was chatting with her the other day and she says she thinks she has border personality.

"Persons with BPD are often uncertain about their identity. As a result, their interests and values can change rapidly. They also tend to view things in terms of extremes, such as either all good or all bad. Their views of other people can change quickly. A person who is looked up to one day may be looked down on the next day. These suddenly shifting feelings often lead to intense and unstable relationships.

Other symptoms of BPD include:

• Intense fear of being abandoned
  • Cannot tolerate being alone
  • Frequent feelings of emptiness and boredom
  • Frequent displays of inappropriate anger
  • Impulsiveness, such as with substance abuse or sexual relationships
  • Repeated crises and acts of self-injury, such as wrist cutting or overdosing"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001931/#adam_000935.disease.symptoms

I don't think she's done any self-injury except in terms of sometimes having body-dysmorphic behavior, i.e. eating very little, exercising a lot, and not seeing that she's very skinny. For the most part she's not as bad as she used to be (she had anorexia in her teens) and keeps herself at the light end of normal weight.

Anyway, I know her problems are way too serious to probably be treated with pheromones but I have to wonder if some things like her anxiety or depression would be helped. She tends to choose bad partners (not wanting to be alone, and also her impulsiveness makes her easily bored which strikes out most "nice" guys. The only plus side is she gets sick of the bad boys too, it just takes longer,) but I do remember one guy she told me about (she and I used to be roommates so I'd run into him sometimes) where she said it was like she could smell the testosterone coming out of his pores when he was angry (he was a total bull of a person: short fuse and would get angry a lot), physically exerting himself, or sexually excited. She tried to explain what that smelled like, but basically even though she didn't have anything in common with the guy she did stick around for a little while and I'm sure it was the testosterone. He was actually really interesting to think about in terms of testosterone-- he wasn't exactly jealous but he was insanely protective. I'm still convinced that now, years later on, if she came out of the blue and asked him to, he'd kneecap someone for her if not worse even though I generally think of him as a nice, mostly mellow guy. Kind of a "Hulk SMASH!" situation except in this case Hulk was raised to put women on a platform and treat them really well.

In any event, that's what I've been thinking about: Mental Illness and pheromones. Ideas or experiences anyone?

I have ADHD, Anxiety Disorder, and Bipolar type 2. I haven't had a problem with using pheros. Halo has more expirence in this, so hopefully she will chime in. Oh, and Dolly too.

My nephew has BPD, and it's AWFUL!!! He's 15 and in a mental facility. And he's not doing well there at all. Hope your friend doesn't have this.

What is your nephew like? My girlfriend B is...well she's very kind and willing to give someone anything but at the same time she's wrapped up in herself and her dramas so I have to kind of demand attention for myself because it's very rare for her to actively seek out what's going on in my life unless it comes up in conversation. Her biggest problem is that she just cannot, to save her life, be alone. If she's alone then typically she's OCD scrubbing the house top to bottom, but then she seeks out impulsive sexual encounters and boyfriends and then she's typically fucked because either a) he's a nice person and she's going to be convinced she's in love with him and he's the one but be bored three weeks later or B) he's a bad guy and she'll spend months if not longer with him before finally leaving-- though this doesn't mean she won't circle back if she finds herself with a nice guy later on who now bores her to tears.

It's weird because she can take care of herself and seem like she's getting it together for several weeks and then boom, she's back to doing stuff that is going to not contribute to her welfare.

The nice thing is that now she says even seeing drugs in movies makes her almost violently ill, so hopefully that will keep her away from the pills and powders, and maybe even the alcohol. I think I've only known her to do cocaine to where it was getting to be an issue but it was never like a "she's a cokehead" serious issue. Obviously doing that at any time is a problem, but I think her issue was that she wanted to feel like she was at a party all the time-- happy, center of attention, and stimulated. Eventually she stopped on her own.

Miss Hazel - sounds like your friend has a lot of issues. If you want to get her something, I would ask her what scents she likes and go in that direction.

Edited by perfumesniffer

I'm on the BPD spectrum, and it's notoriously difficult to self-diagnose. My advice would be that she should see a health care professional to be properly assessed.

If she's seen a therapist and they didn't diagnose her with BPD, she probably doesn't suffer from it.

I also suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and major treatment resistant depression. From my experience, certain pheros can put me in a not very good state of mind. I have to be careful with LAM, for example, because something about it can make my depression spike. These kinds of reactions vary from person to person, so it can be hard to pick something for someone else.

Edited by Celrynnya

My nephew is a mess. Selfish to the max, manipulative, lies, self harms, attention seeking, over talks people, devious, annoying, impulsive, loud, obnoxious, immature, no common sense...I could go on forever!! All these things are done constantly everyday.

I honestly don't believe he will ever be normal or be able to live on his own. It's very sad :(

wow, that sucks. Reminds me partially of a family friend who adopted two crack babies. One is perfectly fine and went on to live a nice comfortable life, and the other is in and out of institutions and does all the lying, manipulation, theft, self-harm etcetera. It's both sad and interesting how the nurture part of the spectrum sometimes can't overcome genetics and what happened in the womb or shortly thereafter.

I've been diagnosed with both an anxiety disorder and depression in the past. I've been treated for depression, and haven't had any issues with it in a few years now, except that when I feel sad, (like a *normal* kind of sad), I get panicky because I'm afraid the sadness won't go away. I *do* still have anxiety issues, which are annoying in the extreme, 'cause I know what it is when it's happening, but even so, I can't seem to get past it. Having said that, I haven't had any problems at all using pheros.

Because I've been using them for a while now, I pretty much know how certain pheros affect me, and I tend to choose what I wear with bolstering my mood in mind.

My daughter has ADHD and at 14 can snap for no reason but Teddy at nightime seems to do the trick for her... Its the first time in about 12 years I can sleep without worrying if she will get up in the middle of the night and do smething stupid....

When she was 3 she pole vaulted out of her crib, climbed the 3 gates that we put on her bedroom door to contain her and would open the front door and go sit out on the lawn at 1in the morning, fortunatly for us a neighbor worked for our locat TV station as an engineer and left for work each day at 1:30am, and would see her out there and call us or bring her back in...