Beccah

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I received my FB of this one and I am so happy I decided to splash out on a FB.

It's like two completely different scents. In the bottle and for the first hour on the skin it's all cupcake and vanilla, so much so I want to eat my own wrist. Then all of a sudden and it really was sudden, in flounces daffodil and what was a cupcake becomes a meadow of beautiful yellow spring daffodils. However they are not playing light and airy on my skin as just hovering in the background is amber keeping them grounded.

I can't believe I never reviewed this one! I got a FB during the big sale last Aug. and I just love it! I'm not usually too big on cupcakey gourmand scents but the daffodil really saves this one for me. It's both nommable and pretty and it lasts a long time for me. I know there's a dirty joke in there somewhere, particularly given the label :lol:

• 1 month later...

This is one that I'm not sure about. I kind of like it in the vial, although it is a bit foodie. It smells buttery. But on my skin, it turns very perfumey right away. Almost overwhelmingly so. I will need to give it another trial sometime, though, just for the daffodil if nothing else. Because I love daffodils!

• 5 months later...

This is all vanilla buttercream in the bottle. My husband loves it! And I get that when I first put it on, then a smoky presence comes out almost with that smoked meat smell that some others are referring to. I totally get that, too! Then just a tiny presence of daffodil. Overall, just a nice vanilla scent –the tiny daffodil just broadens the scent. I am not overwhelmed by the daffodil. I do reapply to get more buttercream and my manager commented one day that I smelled like vanilla extract! She asked if it was one of the fragrances I made myself and I replied sort of…… because I sort of found Mara and her wonderful world of scents and have left my design my own oils just sitting there ever since! :rolleyes:

It's interesting to read how much this one varies on different skins.

On mine, it opens up very 'concentrated' ..sort of medicinal,like all the notes are there but intensified into a tight ball, bursting at the seams. It IS smoky, not like meat for me thank goodness, but like a light vanilla incense smoke. When it unfolds, which takes hours and hours, it goes through two distinct phases, but the incense smoke stays throughout the whole experience. First, a buttery rich vanilla, absolutely yellow with extract and butter, morphing into a sugared,creamy yellow floral. Not green on me, yellow all the way. Wafting around all day is that delicious smoke, which I know this doesn't 'have', so I'm not sure what's responsible. Amber maybe? I dunno. All I know is that I really like this one. It's a sugar bomb, through and through. I love how it unfolds bit by bit like unfolding a warm creamy golden sheet of fondant or something (not literally, visually). I love how lasting it is and how I can smell it on MYSELF all day (I love that about a great scent, the whole 'getting used to your own scent' thing is for the birds.) I want to smell it, and here I do, allllll day long. Yummy! :)

• 1 year later...

I got this as a blind buy at the beginning of the sale. I had it converted to spray, and figured, what the heck, if I don't like it, I've always got the label to look at ha ha.

When it first arrived, I had so many other scents to try, and it didn't really speak to me, but it also was probably in travel shock. I broke it out a again a few days ago, and I really truly love it!

Generally speaking I don't wear florals, I love flowers, and am an avid flower gardener, but, commercial florals tend to turn into nasty scrubbers on my skin.

Highland Fling starts out with a blast of the buttercream vanilla, I catch a hint of the smokiness, and as time goes by the daffodil becomes more prominent. The funny thing, is I have some cut oriental lilies from the yard in a vase in my room right now. They're not stargazers, those things smell way too strong to stay in the house, these have more of an Easter Lily kind of scent, that very sweet, almost a bit of decay, yet still spicy scent to them, and Highland Fling almost echoes the scent. It smells very much like a lily on me. The dry down is sweet, and like others have said, it lasts and lasts! I could smell it on the crooks of my arms after I showered last night. It also is strong enough for me to enjoy smelling while I wear it.

So, I'm congratulating myself for taking the plunge and getting it, and if any of you are on the fence about it, I thought this review might help you decide. :)

• 2 years later...

Bumping for charity auction! 

One one of the more unique LPs. If OCCO Green sounds appealing but the greenness sounds scary or like too much, you want this baby. The green aspect is very similar BUT it’s mixed with yummy delectable cake and buttercream. This is one of both Mara and my all time favorites, and we have pretty different perfume note preferences in general. This is like daffodils dipped in rich creamy buttercream. Truly one of the most masterful examples of Mara’s high Level of mastery in the edible floral genre.