Anthea

Beccah

AD-Anthea_1.jpg

Anthea

The world all around us is filled with living entities which are just as potentially mysterious to us now as they have been since before recorded history: plant life. Plants preceded us, sustain us and our habitats, provide beauty and bounty, but they are also a source of continual discovery in regards to their myriad uses and sources. At London's Kew Gardens – which houses the planet’s largest collection of living plants - the study and appreciation of botany has been in continual attendance for over 200 years. The staff works to protect and repopulate endangered and extinct species, and retain numerous varieties with their seed bank. To celebrate the abundance of vegetative life we’ve crafted a lovely floral blend fit for a goddess (and thus we have named it for the goddess of gardens)…two types of Lily of the Valley entwined with pink lotus blossom, blended with rich amber and buttercream and a drop of cedar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

LILY OF THE VALLEY ~ Soothing and calming on the nerves. Sweetness, mental prowess, happiness.
PINK LOTUS BLOSSOM ~ No man can refuse the woman who wears this; lovers reunited, protection. Symbolizes intellect, mental
energies
and illumination. Inspiration, clarity, purification.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
MILK/BUTTER/CREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.

CEDAR ~ Confidence inducing, balancing, grounding, energizing, money, healing, protection, purification.

Halo helped me plot this one out! I love it, and it brings back a very strong sense memory for me.

I was going for a "creamy" lily of the valley....when I was a kid, there was a commercial cream that smelled like lily of the valley, but part of why I liked it was that *face cream* part of the smell too, which I think I nailed quite successfully. I have no idea what the product was, and if anyone can remember when you smell this perfume, let me know cuz it's driving me crazy. I think it must have been something pretty classic even when I was a kid...like something that may have been sold in drug stores from the 1940's through the 1970's...that's what I *feel* like was the vibe. May have been something my grandmother used, but it doesn't smell old-ladyish in the least. It smells creamy and fresh and elegantly classic.

With regards to the theme, there's an alternate/more ancient spelling of this Goddess's name, Antheia, which I originally intended to use but couldn't fit properly onto the label. But for those who were having some fun looking her up, try the other spelling and you should find more.

I wanted to celebrate the history of the exploration of botany, but learned that this is such an ancient science, that written records go back 10,000 years, and even exist as cave paintings. These record keepers were essentially of two schools - either for passing down agricultural knowledge, or knowledge of medicinal uses of plants. I could have focused on any of a hundred famous herbalists or horticulturalists, but thought talking about Kew Gardens really encompassed the spirit of all of this accumulated knowledge best, as it has the world's largest collection of living plants, has the largest botanical library in existence, has a seed bank, and works to bring back endangered or extinct species. Even it's compost heap is a tourist attraction! Established in 1759, it is now in it's 254th year.

it wasn't nivea was it? I read lily of the valley was one of the scents used but they were others mixed in so maybe not.

nivea%2Bcream%2Bin%2Bblue%2Btin%2Bvintage%2Bads%2B%2529oranges-and-apples.com%2529.jpg

Lily of the valley usually plays nice with me, not really sure about the Lotus but I went fb and am optimistic :D Creamy amber and cedar? Very curious about what the cedar will bring to the scent....

OMG! This reminds me of something elegant and fresh but alluring and shy at the same time? I feel so elegant like I should be wearing a nice hat and carrying a little box purse and kitten heels OMG I am in love. I am so glad this is not a blouse because I would need it in every color. I cannot live without this- It feels like I should just smell like this. It's creamy pink lotus lilly- almost have a bit of a musk through- this reminds me so much of DOP or Smoked Ham- but a more proper finishing school version. This is a lady that would never smell like fucking unless you went under her silk lacy slips and smelled really hard. She's refined, beautiful and classy- and never ever slutty only behind closed doors and she has perfect hair and make-up always.

She would never be caught dead in those ridiculous white pants on a bike on all those stupid tampon commercials. Scandalous!|

I LOOOOVEEEE THIS!

I did omg this is amazing!! I'm already thinking of boosts!

The lotus comes out in the end a bit more and combines perfectly with

The lily and whatever else I am smelling- I want to describe it as a current.

Like a current that carries the lily and lotus maybe it's the amber.

Hmm, I still see the Jergen's face cream at Walmart & it is old school. I'll have to smell when I'm out next ;)

This is very pretty, even on me, and that's really saying something (since I'm not a fan of these floral notes). It has almost a candied quality to it without being obviously so, just a smooth creamy sweetness supporting with the other notes. It helps to keep the florals from going too loud on me, I think. The cedar is sort of lingering beneath for me, just a faint touch of woodiness. I don't have a memory of the product Mara is referencing that I can recall but it does truly have a retro feel to it, the sort of olfactory palette which isn't utilized much anymore. I think many of you will really love this one, and it's perfect for Spring/Summer.

This is very pretty, even on me, and that's really saying something (since I'm not a fan of these floral notes). It has almost a candied quality to it without being obviously so, just a smooth creamy sweetness supporting with the other notes. It helps to keep the florals from going too loud on me, I think. The cedar is sort of lingering beneath for me, just a faint touch of woodiness. I don't have a memory of the product Mara is referencing that I can recall but it does truly have a retro feel to it, the sort of olfactory palette which isn't utilized much anymore. I think many of you will really love this one, and it's perfect for Spring/Summer.

you really know how to express the olfact stuff - that is exactly it- its a floral but its not- its a pie.. this is kinda like Levitation almost where its CandyFEM

Oh WOW! In the bottle this is feminine creamy and floral. The cedar. Wow, I think I like that in this. OHMYGOSH, so happy with this order....will be back to give a proper review over the next couple days :)

---------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Oooooo, in the bottle this one is nutty, creamy and delicious. I get a brightness(?) from the fruit. This one's going to yummilicious! So see me slathering this one! Will be back to properly review this one soon! :)

Edited by NuTrix

oh my goodness this is light on me. wow, how delicate and gorgeous. I'm smelling sweet florals, the lotus isn't stealing the spotlight this time.

This is so weird. Even though I just applied a perfume, it smells like I just put scented lotion on my skin. It smells high end...like a L'Occitane handcream my mom used to have.

I'm getting the soft coolness of the cedar coming through now...wow, this is soo...not me. This is so fancy and gorgeous. I don't think I could ever even pretend to be Miss Anthea. I really really love this scent though. but the owner needs to be quiet and feminine and classic and beautiful, but in a long sleeve button up dress with the skirt past the knees. I want this one, but I know in my gut that I won't be able to pull it off.

It really smells like flowery cream. Gorgeous!!

To me, this is like a cross between wolf and the shepherdess and pixie dust! It has the clean, pink creamy aspect plus the candied floral sweetness, I think it smells closer to pixie dust though. Very pretty! Edit: Now that it's dried down a little bit, it smells like I put on a lotion! I'm so amazed that perfume can smell this way. :D

Edited by bruiseviolet

I put this one on and I think that my mind must just associate anything floral as "perfumey". BUT NOT the kind my mamma wears, lol! I have never gotten anything here that made me think "old lady perfume" or that made me think of department store throw backs! I think flowery, soapy (which I think I now associate with clean and/or fresh) and realize it's just my brain trying to understand what I'm smelling. Now I'm beginning to pick out the notes instead of lumping things into a category, lol. SO with that being said, to me this one smells like perfume :D The florals are GORGEOUS! Lily of the Valley has always played nice with me but I had no idea what to expect from the lotus. This is so delicate and light and feminine! I want my clothes and sheets and towels and furniture and......everything in my house!...to smell like this! This is such a perfect scent for the season! It's absolutely beautiful and on me it's so well blended that I'm having to work hard at picking everything out. I wonder what kind o staying power it will have? So far I've been wearing it for an hour and it's still lovely and true. SO glad I went fb with this one! YAY! Another successful floral to add to my arsenal! :love:

I love lily of the valley and I love vanilla, so when I thought this could possibly be in the vein of la fleur cremeuse with the lily instead of the rose, win! It's definitely less foody than La Fleur but it still has a lovely thread of vanilla running through it. The floral notes are just divine. These aren't florals that make you sneeze your brains out but very fresh, clean (in the best possible way, think the Sneaky Clean way, not cheap soap), airy, calming. Also the cedar keeps its distance. It's there and it grounds the scent, but it doesn't come out as CEDAR OF DOOM at any point in the drydown. Two days passed between the first and second time I wore it and I swear on the second time the vanilla came out more, so it's only going to get better with age. Plus how could I resist the Greek goddess of flowers? Love!

I love this. It reminds me of Highland Fling without the greenness from the daffodil. The buttercream seems similar. The lily of the valley is sweet and round. The lotus reads sharp at me when wet but dries down and settles. So far no cedar is showing for me. I love a drop of cedar for grounding so I hope I get it more later. This should be full bottle for me.

If this is like Highland Fling, I made a huge error not ordering.I'm just usually frightened by LilyOTV, it can stick needles through my eyes and into my brain, but this sounds fabulous.

Mara could it be Ponds Cold Cream? My grandma used it her whole life and I know she loved LilyOTV. Let us know if you find out what it was! I love a mystery solved :)

This lasted and lasted...a beautiful floral and then at around 1 o'clock (I first put this on before 6am) I noticed a soft sweet fragrance and started to look around only to realize it was coming from ME! :lol: The floral had finally settled to the rich creamy amber finish. SOOOOOO gorgeous! The cedar never was prominent and the only time that I do recall it being forward was when I sniffed it in the bottle the day it arrived. LOVELOVELOVE this one. So spectacularly happy with this perchase! :love:

This is a combo of LOTV and lotus on me, and I get the creaminess too (but not like a hand cream, more like dairy cream). It's a floral with a slightly sexy edge on me.

Love this creamy floral,the dry down is so nice too.I wasn't going to get a bottle but after wearing it once Its something I want to slather all over.It does smell like you put on a buttercream lotion then sprayed on a perfume with the Lily and lotus and cedar.

Initially a very sweet bright pretty floral ... In drydown, a smooth grown up powdery floral. No cream for me, at least not obviously. Bit on the conventional side for me, but really nice, non-screeching floral.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Did anyone ever figure out which face cream it smelled like? My immediate thought when I read Mara's post was Nivea, and then I read someone else had that same thought. But I didn't see any more about it...unless I missed it? Anyway, it smells an awful lot like Nivea to me.

Anyway, I tried this one today. I like it in the vial. It smells very light and freshly floral. However, on my skin it seems to turn "dusty" smelling somehow. I will probably have to test it again in the future because I want to love it, but today it didn't really work out for me. It also didn't last too long. I gave up and spritzed myself with Max Attraction Silk just before we went out for dinner.

HOWEVAH...

I am still madly in love with my Amphitrite trial from yesterday, so it may be partially that it had the misfortune of coming right after that one...when nothing could possibly measure up.

IMO it's reminiscent of Ponds Cold Cream (it smells like my older grandmother when she would open the jar, fresh- not old lady) - they don't make it anymore.

That's not an insult BTW I love this scent.

It reminds me of old school beauty queens primping before their elaborate lighted beauty consoles.

There a a little candle co that made a candle with a similar scent.. wish I could get that again. :)

Edited by StacyK

• 5 months later...

The adjective that best describes this perfume on my skin is “coy” :Emoticons04231: . The sort of coyness that can drive you crazy. I put it on, and almost immediately it advances, hand outstretched: “Good Afternoon. I am a Floral Perfume. Here is my card to that effect.” Quite pleasant, but rather…square. (Square perfume? Anybody? Just me? Ah well. ) Then, an hour later, after I have almost forgotten about it, I get the most glorious whiff of Lily of the Valley. I look around for a source, then remember my perfume and dive in to huff my wrist. And again it advances, hand outstretched: “Good Afternoon. I am a Floral Perfume. Here is my card…” Sigh. Twenty minutes later I smell the most exquisite jasmine. Again I huff and again it advances: “Good Afternoon. I am a Floral Perfume. Here is my…” And so it goes on. Throughout the day I get whiffs of varied and unbelievably lovely flowers, but when I lean in for a better sniff, it’s retreated into a more formal and general floral scent which, although sweet and gradually becoming softer and creamier, is nowhere near as ravishing as any of the teasing wafts that sneak up on me. It’s like I’m playing a game of “Made-You-Look” with my perfume!

• 2 months later...

I'm getting this in the mail soon, FB, so before I do a full review, I'll wait till full slather. I DID however get a partial sample off the lovely BV, and I'm pretty sure that the product is Jergen's All Purpose face cream. It is still in production, but really hard to find.

It IS similar to the old Ponds, and when sniffed from a distance,Nivea. But I'm weirdly familiar with vintage makeup/skincare/perfume & I'd pretty much bet money on Jergen's. Also similar to the old Avon Vita Moist & Nutura, but not on 'the nose'.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6753673/il_570xN.343080685.jpg

Check this out. I dunno how to link :(

ETA: I did it!! IT LINKED!!! :D

Edited by cheeseburger79