Galapagos

Beccah

AD-Galapagos_1.jpg

Galapagos

An amazing tale of exploration and groundbreaking discovery into the origins of life itself is contained within the journals of the famed naturalist Charles Darwin, whose five-year voyage upon the HMS Beagle led to a unifying theory regarding the diversity of life on Earth. This fragrance is based upon the field research Darwin undertook while investigating the Galapagos Islands, a formation relatively new at the time, geologically-speaking. A beautifully primordial coastal scent comprised of ingredients found only in that region, we've blended Purple Prickly Pear fruit with a brine accord, as well as top notes of Morning Glory and salty Mangrove leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

CACTUS FRUIT (aka Purple Prickly Pear) ~ Protection, chastity, endurance, warmth, love, inspiration, sacred gateway to the spirit world.

MORNING GLORY ~ Peace, happiness, harmony, banishing of nightmares, encourages spontaneity.
SALT ~ protection, purification, grounding, feminine energy. Resurrection, baptism.

MANGROVE ~ Rebirth, resurrection, triumph over adversity, heartiness, health and growth.

I make my own seaweed oil, and it lends that ocean-y kind of briny vibe. Mangrove is an amazing plant that filters salt out of water...the leaves develop crystals of salt on them, like it's sweating out the salt. The combo of these plants make the fruit and flower notes smell like they are traveling on an ocean breeze. It's gorgeous!

Mangrove leaf with salt crystals....

220px-Saltcrystals_on_avicennia_marina_var_resinifera_leaves.JPG

Ooh for those that loved Song of the Desert you are going to loove this one. I don't know what I am smelling - I think it's the cactus I remember it from song- but the similarities stop there- where Song was more fruity for me, this is more saltier - but powdery in a way. It's refreshing though - Calli and Chai are going to really love this one! You know this reminds me of Aloe Vera, and it's making me remember a nice memory of Maria, I was little and I burned my eye on a light bulb - I was crying and crying.. she immediately went to her garden and picked an aloe plant or maybe it was this cactus flower. Anyhow she sliced it open and put it on my eye and it felt soooo good and soothing! This is the same type of feeling or smell that I get. It's very soothing to me. I think this would be perfect for bedtime or PMS. It has that peaceful soothing quality to it.

Oh thank you Lady V! This one is also a must try for me. This sounds awesome. Also, one of my client called in yesterday for an emergency facial because she is going on vacation to the Galapagos Islands! She was going on and on about Darwin and this and that and I couldn't believe it! Never heard of this place in my life and now its popping up everywhere.

I googled it so that I could talk to her about it when she came in..omg. Giant tortoises! Seals that lay right on the beach with humans! I hope I love this scent.

This does have a salty undertone to it, beneath the sweetness of the PPP; it's interesting, I can't really articulate what this makes me think of, but it's a fascinating contrast in a fragrance. The PPP is the strongest note for me, however, so yes those that like Song of the Desert will likely enjoy this one too.

You know this reminds me of Aloe Vera

You scared me a bit with that because aloe hates me (in fragrance form); but luckily I don't get that quality.

Now this is one that I was looking extremely forward to...let's see how it goes.

Just applied, wow prickly pear. Juicy and mildly sweet. I can see where the aloe comparison comes from. It almost smells like lilikoi to me now. this is so fresh and nice. I'm loving the salt, it's fairly faint though. Just a metallic bite. This is a lot sweeter than I thought it was going to be. Fruity, I think this is how it smells settled now. Since this seems to have fewer notes, it settles down quicker. Hmmm, maybe another fb?

I definitely get fruity and sweet, and a little bit plasticky. I wish I could smell the salt notes more. I loved the label but I'm disappointed that this isn't great on me. adding: some of the saltiness came out a couple of hours after application, but it didn't last.

Edited by perfumesniffer

Wet: wonderfully juicy semi-sweet prickly pear with just the merest undertone of salt.

The notes meld and balance so nicely as the scent dries down, becoming a very beautifully balanced scent and one rather elegant in its simplicity. Very lovely. ...

You were absolutely right, Lady V! I do love this one! Beautiful!

And, then it's gone :( My skin just absorbed it. .. ate it up. .. One moment it was there in all its elegantly sweet ocean breeze beauty and glory. .. The next moment. .. gone :(

Huh, this is not what I imagined this to smell at all from the notes. It's very sweet and juicy fruit on me. Wet it's almost like pineapples??? I know that's not in the blend but that's what it seems like at first. That quickly goes away though, and the fragrance just stays a sweet fuity scent on me.

I am glad I read about how sweet the PP turned because otherwise I might not have ever tried this on my skin. In the vial and wet it is a little watery/bitter for me but as it dries down it gets sweeter and sweeter. I tried a small dot this morning and really liked it so i just slathered so I can really get a snoot full.

Revisited this last night as well. WhenI first got it, it was all prickly pear. So much that I just wanted to fall out of my chair and scream I'M LIKE A PRICKLY PEAR. Ok not really.

But now the salty notes have become more evident, and it's doing that sweet and salty gatorade thing, which I kind of appreciate. Still considering this one for a FB

Galapagos reminds me a little bit of Playdate right off the hop. Later on, after it dries down it becomes another beast entirely. But it's a beast I wouldn't mind having bottled & sitting in my lipstick organizer. :) I'll have to try it out when I have more time to pay attention to exactly what happens when this dries, but so far, I like it a whole lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Charles Darwin fangurl, so I really love the idea of a perfume named after the place that was the catalyst for his concept of evolution by natural selection. The prickly pear and morning glory were dominant at first, and I liked it. However, after dry down they've diminished, and what is left smells perfumey in the conventional sense and is giving me a little of a headache.

• 1 year later...

This one is pretty interesting. "Sea" scents don't always work on me. In this case, it went quite salty for awhile, which is not really my thing. But then it settled down. But then after it settled down, it basically disappeared.

I would prefer to get more of the sweet fruitiness of this one on my skin, I think. But I don't dislike it...I think I will need to try it again another time.