Wink at the Moon

Beccah

AD-WinkMoon_1.jpg

Wink at the Moon

Sic itur ad astra…from the ancient Greeks to the present day, humans have looked up into the vastness of the sky and longed for a way to leave the bounds of Earth…and none were perhaps as inspiring in this endeavor as those who first ventured into outer space in the 1960s. From numerous discoveries, technological advances, and capturing the imagination of every generation to follow, the space programs of the US and USSR stand as the vanguards of discovery of the wonders of our solar system and beyond. With this fragrance we pay whimsical tribute to those astronauts who braved the unknown and traveled out of the blue and into the black. In this variation on the recipe for Moon Cakes, a Chinese/Vietnamese festival confection, dried apricot and figs are chopped together with a sweet-roasted medley of chestnuts, pecans and sesame in brown sugar syrup, swirled with vanilla and amber and lightened with just a touch of Freesia – a flower sacred to goddesses of the moon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

APRICOT ~ Love, love, love! Romance, passion, femininity.
FIG ~ Wisdom, fertility, love, luck, protection,
aids restful sleep, divination. Feminine sexuality.
CHESTNUT ~ Amplifies male potency, love.
PECAN ~ Money, employment, mental acuity.
SESAME ~ Money, lust, life force.
BROWN SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck,
sweetness
and riches. Lust inducing, wishes granted.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.

FREESIA ~ Innocence, chastity, charm.

I really hope the apricot is super strong!! I almost ordered a fb, but the nuts scare me.

ditto...while I LOVE eating Chestnuts and Pecans, not sure

love the smell of roasted chestnuts ??!!

think I fell in love w/the label, fig, brown sugar and Luna's description, hee

I really hope the apricot is super strong!! I almost ordered a fb, but the nuts scare me.

ditto...while I LOVE eating Chestnuts and Pecans, not sure

love the smell of roasted chestnuts ??!!

think I fell in love w/the label, fig, brown sugar and Luna's description, hee

I know!!! Love this label...love apricot, fig and brown sugar...BUT WHAT OF THE NUTS?! I just don't know...

And, for me, the NUTS are one of the reasons I think this will work so beautifully on my skin.... Mistress of Fate: hazelnuts and pistachios; Insight Potion: pistachios, almond; Hathor: Almonds; Prophetic Pie: pecan... and I love each of these on my skin! So, nuts seems to work for me (Can't eat them though; automatic weight gain for me! Which is a sad thing... they are such healthful foods!) Not to mention, I like the sesame in Open Sesame.... I think this one might just end up being a FB purchase for me! Can't wait to sniff the sample which is soon to be heading my way! Edited by Chaionlife

For me it would be the freesia that's "iffy". I just don't do florals. They always smell like old lady and stale on me. Sneaky clean being the ONLY exception. If that's even considered a floral.

How funny-- love fig but apricot hasn't been kind to me thus far. will be awaiting reviews.

"dried apricot and figs are chopped together with a sweet-roasted medley of chestnuts, pecans and sesame in brown sugar syrup, swirled with vanilla and amber and lightened with just a touch of Freesia"

... must try this one,it does sound intriquing :)

The closest thing to this that I've made before is Vicars and Tarts....so if you liked that one, you'll like this one. It's rather autumnal, but I wear this kind of scent year round.

The nuts add body to the foody-ness but do not smell overtly nutty to my nose.

The freesia is just a small touch, and just acts to lighten up the sweet heaviness of the perfume.

Does anyone know how the title refers back to description?

This was driving me crazy so I had to look it up. So sweet. I kind of cheated by looking it up so I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.

I should have huh :huh:

Cat's Eye & OCCO SLF ...simultaneous big yellow moonrise through the clouds and the fiery glow of an Arizona monsoon sunset...with two winks and a prayer :)

And, for me, the NUTS are one of the reasons I think this will work so beautifully

I know! I read that list and squeaked triumphantly - FULL BOTTLE!!

For me it would be the freesia that's "iffy".

I'm in this boat too...it wasn't enough to convince me not to go fb, but it makes me nervous. After reading what Mara said about it just being a touch though, I'm less concerned...not completely unchickenified...but more than fairly confident about it. :D

Yes, but only because my son did a project on it this year for school. GG is totally right -- it's so sweet!! :moon452:

Thank you for expanding the tribute with this scent, description, and forum "homework assignment," Mara!

Edited by Just Ducky

Omg this is Maramazing! Mara WOW! Okay this wet starts off as a brown sugar pie nutty bakery with a bit of tartness and I thought oh yummmm this is a foodie! Then it did something truly remarkable and unexpected! It turned into a beautiful delicate floral!

You know this edible flowers on cake? Picture freesia as that but on top of a pie. I know the notes sound weird but I guess the best way to describe this is - If you were at home baking the most sinfully decadent brown sugary nutty pecan type of pie in the fall, and you had a vase with a sprig of freesia ~ the bakery scent that fills the room eventually does fade but the delicate aroma of freesia still lingers. I didn't know freesia was so delicate. I love this one too!

Oooh, I'm excited about this now!!! I had another LP scent that did that foodie-change-to-floral on me. I'll have to comb the threads to see if I can find which one.

PS...love "Maramazing"!!!

ETA: It was Baskery that did this on me. http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7310&view=findpost&p=213015

Edited by BlueBear

Oooh, I'm excited about this now!!! I had another LP scent that did that foodie-change-to-floral on me. I'll have to comb the threads to see if I can find which one.

PS...love "Maramazing"!!!

I really do love this one. You get the best of both worlds!!

Now you've got me wanting to run out and check my mailbox every hour to see if the sample set I ordered three days ago is here yet!

. . . "maramazing." *snort* How absolutely perfect!!!!

Yes, but only because my son did a project on it this year for school. GG is totally right -- it's so sweet!! :moon452:

Thank you for expanding the tribute with this scent, description, and forum "homework assignment," Mara!

SO...what is it ??

Neil Armstrong's family wants you to look at the moon ... and give a wink

Slideshow: Neil Armstrong: 1930 - 2012

g-120825-cvr-armstrong-tease.photoblog600.jpg

See images from the career of astronaut and American hero Neil Armstrong.

Launch slideshow

By Alan Boyle, Science Editor, NBC News

Follow @b0yle

There are just a couple of things that Neil Armstrong's family wants you to do to pay tribute to the first moonwalker's life and legacy: Honor his example, and wink at the moon.

Armstrong, 82, is survived by his wife Carol, two sons by his former wife Janet, a stepson and stepdaughter, 10 grandchildren, a brother and a sister. Here's the full statement issued by the family after his death:

"We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

"Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.

"Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati.

"He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

"As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.

"While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

wow. That's really neat. What a great article, thanks for sharing it :)

The closest thing to this that I've made before is Vicars and Tarts....so if you liked that one, you'll like this one. It's rather autumnal, but I wear this kind of scent year round.

The nuts add body to the foody-ness but do not smell overtly nutty to my nose.

The freesia is just a small touch, and just acts to lighten up the sweet heaviness of the perfume.

I was thinking this may be similr to V and C. Glad to hear I'm in the ball park. Can't wait! Especially after reading Lady V's post just now.

This does remind me of Vicars & Tarts but it's more gooey. It does have that same rich spicy warmth to it. I don't get the floral at all; granted I'm not too familiar with Moon Cakes but this makes me think of other baked fruit scents like Mistress Christmas or Hotter Than Hell.

Saved this one for last out of this sub forum, mainly because I am afraid of fig.

So, initial application: Wow apricot! Wow pecan! Wow brown sugar! This is very round and toasty. Apricot is dying down. I smelt the fig lurking behind the apricot earlier too. Still fruity, but the brown sugar, nuts and vanilla are keeping it in check. Now, there is a slight bitterness from the nuts (imagine the taste of the nut skin present as a scent), but that is fading, too.

Ok, apricot/vanilla combo is turning waaaay up now. Kinda like original Love Potion with the apricot on steroids. I think I'm imagining just a touch of floral, but again it might be in my mind. It's staying this way so far. I...actually like this a lot.

Edited by lalaDinky

In the bottle I get the nuts and strangely the sesame...and then the lift of the fruits and sweet gooeyness of the sugar and vanilla....instant adoration!

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT Update:

OHYEAHBABY! Yes! This one is a SUPAH WIN! Immediately after application the sweetness of the fruits jumps out but quickly fades to a creamy, nutty, vanilla, sugary, amber delight AND STAYS THAT WAY ON ME FOR LIKE EVER! Every single time I've huffed myself today it's made my eyes roll back in my head - WOOOOOOOOOOOOW! I lovelovelove thisa one! :Emoticons04235: :Emoticons04235: :Emoticons04235:

Edited by NuTrix

This was everything I hoped for it to be! It's like a nutty, gooey apricot dessert that could go for summer or fall/winter. Additionally, The warm nuttiness of the chestnut, pecan and sesame is so comforting against the sweet gourmand stuff. I love how the freesia adds something fresh and airy to it. I know on paper it looks like a floral would clash with the other ingredients, and I was a little hesitant about that, but it really works in this case. Moonchild approved! :D

I don't get any floral,which is a good thing! :) ...this is a Calii scent,going to let it age a bit,not very robust on me just yet.

Mmmmmmm...apricot cobbler! That 's what this smells like!! (I haven't ever had any, but I imagine that it would smell like this.) The nuts, brown sugar, and vanilla make a creamy, bakery base for this. The fruit is sweet, warm, and juicy. The apricot is sweeter with just the hint of tartness. Like Luna said, the fruit is cooked not fresh. The fig is deeper and richer than the apricot. I don't get the freesia until much later in the wearing. That's when I notice the amber, too. It helps give this an air of a classic perfume. This happened to me in Baskery, as I mentioned before. I like this!

Hmm I only tried this once and only a dab, but it went weird on me --- heavenly foody nominess but with a strange salty, spicy, almost BOish twist that didnt really "go" with the foodiness...I can only assume it was the freesia :/ will have to try again.

Hmm I only tried this once and only a dab, but it went weird on me --- heavenly foody nominess but with a strange salty, spicy, almost BOish twist that didnt really "go" with the foodiness...I can only assume it was the freesia :/ will have to try again.

:o Oh No! It may sound counter intuitive, but maybe try a larger dab? Wear shorts, put it on your knee and then keep checking it...if it's too much and goes wonky, at least it won't be right under your nose :) (was that suggestion just way too dorky?lol)

I think you're onto something....will try today...

ETA yay nutrix, good tip!! Now it's berry crumble with a slight brightness/freshness that must be the freesia. No spice, no BO......yippee!

Edited by tyvey

:cat690: YAY! Sometime weird works :lol: YES! Glad it was way yummier this time around - and NO BO :)

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT: This one is SO scrummy! I love the chestnut, pecan and sesame notes! When the fig and apricot settle, it's all sugary, nutty, creamy YUMNESS!

Edited by NuTrix

• 2 weeks later...