Apparition

Beccah

No matter how much I shake it, on me Apparition opens smelling like pine forest and amber. After an hour or so it does settle to a beautiful campfire marshmallow scent that I love though.

Edited by Fleur

• 2 weeks later...

This just needed to age a bit!

I really like this as a fall scent and it's a smokey, wispy, "dark' ish marshmallow scent. Sort of the Yang to Marsha Mellow's Yin.

The best thing.. I had the Martini version of this yesterday. I can't post a pic here but I'll try to put it on FB...

Sadly I rarely get any smoke, maybe just a smidge when it's wet on my skin. Reminds me a LOT of Mara's Domino which was a fave of mine this summer when I got a couple bottles in trade except that has anise in it along with marshmallow.

I feel this one comes across as marshmallow for the most part with very little deviation but I don't mind this and I'm thankful it doesn't go plastic on me like some marshmallow scents do.

Finally got a chance to test this sample and I really love it! I totally get the smoke, with the softest hint of marshmallow underneath, and then the amber and musk anchor it very close to the skin. It's subtle and wonderfully atmospheric. It doesn't smell at all like Haunted Hallows, but I get the same kind of nostalgic thrill from it. If Haunted Hallows is the cool moss-covered fallen tombstones in a two-hundred year old New England cemetery, Apparition is what you would smell if you camp out overnight there on a dare and roast marshmallows....

Question: I've been a total devotee of the oil roll-ons up until now, but Flying Potion got me excited about sprays--wondering how this would work in that form? Has anyone tried it? On the one hand, I love the way the oil melds into and is warmed by my skin. On the other hand, this is gorgeous and light and I wonder what it would be like to spray a little cloud of it on my hair and clothes. Any thoughts?

One thing I did notice with this is that it is hard to get a really good shake & blend with the trial. I have both and the FB blends really well when shaken. It turns this really interesting silver, grey smoke color. I can't get it to do that shaking the trial.

Finally got a chance to test this sample and I really love it! I totally get the smoke, with the softest hint of marshmallow underneath, and then the amber and musk anchor it very close to the skin. It's subtle and wonderfully atmospheric. It doesn't smell at all like Haunted Hallows, but I get the same kind of nostalgic thrill from it. If Haunted Hallows is the cool moss-covered fallen tombstones in a two-hundred year old New England cemetery, Apparition is what you would smell if you camp out overnight there on a dare and roast marshmallows....

Question: I've been a total devotee of the oil roll-ons up until now, but Flying Potion got me excited about sprays--wondering how this would work in that form? Has anyone tried it? On the one hand, I love the way the oil melds into and is warmed by my skin. On the other hand, this is gorgeous and light and I wonder what it would be like to spray a little cloud of it on my hair and clothes. Any thoughts?

Well I have a couple of LPs I just had to have as a spray and a couple that I wish I had done as spray.

First the Flying Potion is spray probably more because of the phero used. The social, uplifting pheros as spray are nice. As you know from FP.

But if your just talking fragrance then the first thing I would say is make sure the scent is not super light as an oil because it will be lighter as spray and you may tend to use up a spray faster.

That said, I could see this as a spray, tho the scent will be lighter, I will still be present. You could spray it in your hair and pair it with a great social like Lev. or OW or whatever you like.

ETA.. sorry for the double post.. cell phone, grrr

Edited by StacyK

Well I have a couple of LPs I just had to have as a spray and a couple that I wish I had done as spray.

First the Flying Potion is spray probably more because of the phero used. The social, uplifting pheros as spray are nice. As you know from FP.

But if your just talking fragrance then the first thing I would say is make sure the scent is not super light as an oil because it will be lighter as spray and you may tend to use up a spray faster.

That said, I could see this as a spray, tho the scent will be lighter, I will still be present. You could spray it in your hair and pair it with a great social like Lev. or OW or whatever you like.

ETA.. sorry for the double post.. cell phone, grrr

Thank you, Stacy, this is really helpful! I go back and forth--on the one hand, the lightness of this and the smoke, esp., makes me think it could be lovely in that form. But this is also such a nice one for being such a close skin scent...

Hm, perhaps one needs BOTH?

• 6 months later...

I have tested this one a few times now, and it is very lovely, soft and whispery and quietly haunting. But I don't get any smoke from it at all, sadly. Strangely, what I get instead is a kind of soft, sweetened, pale greenish plant smell- sort of like sugared damp earthy grass. This is not the dominant scent- which is a smooth round creamy marshmallow scent like a cloudy pillow- but this pastel green ghostly thing sits in the background and gently intertwines with the marshmallow whiteness. Looking at the ingredients of this one, I think this means my nose has gone insane.

:lol: Chemistry! Go figure! I don't think your nose is insane though, I think I see - or smell - what you mean about the green scent :) I DO get the smoke though and think it compliments the rest very well...hopefully it won't remain illusive for you!

Our chemistry is wonderful for the most part but at times can be frustrating :nope02716: . Sorry to hear that you're experiencing frustration when it comes to this blend Vladmyra. I know you said you've tried Apparition several times...have you tried it different times of the month? Our hormones can do a number on us as you know... Your nose is not insane :D

I'll have to keep an eye out for a sample of this blend. Sounds lovely ^_^ I could see why you'd want to experience all the notes!

http://www.lovepotionperfume.com/perfumerie/potion/Apparition/

The scrumptious smokiness of toasting marshmallows is captured with a blend of marshmallow flavor oils and woodsmoke accords, further flavored with white and caramel sugars, layered upon ghostly white amber and white musk, and finished with a smoky Arabian wood blend and a dusting of powdered sugar.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The marshmallow note is sheer... much lighter than what I initially imagined. I'm enjoying the interplay between the smoke, which is also sheer, and the marshmallow and sugar notes. I applied this on my torso, using the lollipop method, and throughout the day, I kept got gentle wafts of this delicate scent. I'm glad I purchased a FB!

• 3 months later...

Wow! This is great! I did have this converted to a spray. On me, it is pretty equally marshmallow, smoke, and vanilla sugar. It doesn't have a lot of throw but it is so nice. Oddly enough, I have a candle....I think it is marshmallow fireside? ....that is very similar.

I was iffy about this only because I have issues with white musk. There was a time I thought I loved white musk but it turned on me and likes to stab my forehead. Anyway, I still decided to try this because of the marshmallow. It smelled really good when I first applied it. After about 30 mins or so, the white musk and white amber started to amp and threaten my forehead. It stayed like this for quite awhile but never became overwhelming. It then turned into this beautiful marshmallow perfume and stayed strong for a long time. It was very pretty. It's fading now but still has this soft marshmallowy scent, like sugared marshmallow. I'm glad I stuck it out because it's a very pretty scent.

• 2 weeks later...

I received this as a sample from lovestruck, I believe, TY! I am trying it tonight while I'm studying to give myself a little break here and there. I'll try to write a fancy/lovely/enlightened review but I'm still new to picking out smells in the perfumes. I'm always impressed by how eloquent some reviews are. I'm glad I read this thread first as I wouldn't have shaken it! It turned into a smoky opaque white. Very cool. I applied to my wrists, AC area (bend of arms) and cleavage area. On first smell, the smoke was very strong and slightly plasticky. That went away within a few minutes and it dried to a lovely campfire smoke scent. As I was studying, I'd get sweet wafts coming up from my application points. When I smelled closer it smelled like a sweet campfire. The marshmallow was very subtle an hour after application, but the smoke scent is becoming more subtle. A few hours later it really became equal parts smoke and marshmallow for me. Very nice :)

• 1 year later...

Sorting through my collection, i remember ONE of my Lps had to be smacked around before application. I vaguely remember setting this one aside to test again one day, its definitely different in the vial from what i remember :D

To my surprise, it fastforwards through all the notes hella fast!

It starts out with thick camp fire smoke after application and the marshmallow starts to phase out the smoke, it amped the sugar musk and mallow real hard where it kinda jabbed my third eye pretty bad :(

After letting it sit, it settled into a heady, rich amber forward marshmallow fog with a "sugar musk" aura to it.

I'm a bit embarrassed that i can't describe this more accurately. It definitely captures the feel of there being ghosts.