Tombstone Tart

Beccah

AD-TombstoneTart_1.jpg

Tombstone Tart

An autumnal pastry featuring a fruity swirl of spiced plum, fig and cherry jam, surrounded by a crunchy vanilla cookie crust and a base of earthy resin with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

PUMPKIN ~ Fertility, plenty, abundance, prosperity. Male sexual stimulant.
PLUM ~ Inspires & maintains love, protects dwelling against evil and intrusion.
FIG ~ Wisdom, fertility, love, luck, protection
, aids restful sleep, divination. Feminine sexuality.
CHERRY ~ Stimulates and attracts love,
attracts mate. Cheerfulness, good humor, mood elevator, divination.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck,
sweetness and riches. Lust inducing, wishes granted.
ALLSPICE ~ Luck, health, prosperity, money.
PECAN ~ Money, employment, mental acuity.
KUSH RESIN ~ Variously used in love spells, to deflect the power of witches, for communication with the spiritual realm, divination, luck and protection from evil.
EARTH ~ Grounding, centering, protection, renewal, reincarnation, life.

Scent: Like walking into an Autumnal bazaar, stuffed with every scent of autumn.

Rich, fruity pumpkin. I don't get any cherry, but I do get the deep sweetness of the plum and fig. I don't get a lot of spice per se; it's just enough of it to make the pumpkin into what we recognize as pumpkin, you know? (I believe we had a conversation about that elsewhere.) Just a kiss of earth, and the kush resin is dark, but not too dark. I, too, can see how it can be described as green. I think my favorite note is the pecan, though!!

Raq, you'll love this! It is along the lines of Vicars and Tart.

Also, not sure if it's marketed as unisex, but I feel like a man who isn't afraid of a sweeter scent might try it!

Ooooh I like this more than I thought I would! I'm normally not that big of a fan of "baked fruit" kind of blends (although I do love Get Happy!, for example) and so I thought I'd be on the fence about it, but this does have that Vicars & Tarts vibe to it. It's more complex than V&T, IMO, because I discern layers of sweetness and spice and resin-y Autumnal goodness, it has a very three-dimensional quality to it for me. I don't get the fruit so much as fruit as just a bright tinge of sweetness, but the warmth of the spice (which doesn't overpower on me, thankfully) and nuttiness and deep bottom of the resin is all there.

I'm putting this on the list for sure!

This was a surprise winner,and even though I have on way too many of the NR's ,this is sooo very huffable... Luna Chicks review says it far better than I ever could :icecream:

Edited by Calii

This is just like sitting in a graveyard eating a delicious pie. I get the cherry, pumpkin and fig, pie spices that stay on the light side and DIRT! I normally can't do earth smells at all but this is oddly compelling. I would totally wear this every so often as a novelty. Too earthy for everyday wear, for me anyway. I must say I think this is a brilliant concept and I LOVE the name. Mara is so damn clever with her titles matching the perfumes.

I wore this last night and I loved it. I do love baked fruit scents and this was perfect. I really couldn't pick anything out specifically, (the pumpkin fig or cherry) my brain just registered tart berry pie with a crumbly crust and for once I liked the pecan note. It was not overpowering. actually nothing was overpowering at all and the spices were way in the background for me.

This was a happy scent for me and instead of wearing it to bed as I did last night I would wear it out with Lace or whatever your happy phero is!!

eta: I loved this label and made it the wallpaper for my phone!

Edited by missdarlyncherie

Hot syrupy bubbling crumble smell is intense and incredibly true. On my skin I don't pick up the earth literally - I think it's just giving some oomph to the spices. In drydown it gets craft-store-y, reminds me of All Hallows' Eve.

I'm getting really fruity pumpkin. It's sweet with a hint of spice. No earthy notes on me! :/ After it dries down for awhile it's getting a bit incensey on me. I agree with Tyvey- once it drys it reminds me of a craft store.

This is just like sitting in a graveyard eating a delicious pie. I get the cherry, pumpkin and fig, pie spices that stay on the light side and DIRT! I normally can't do earth smells at all but this is oddly compelling. I would totally wear this every so often as a novelty. Too earthy for everyday wear, for me anyway. I must say I think this is a brilliant concept and I LOVE the name. Mara is so damn clever with her titles matching the perfumes.

This sounds a like Haunted Hallows

Exactly what I was thinking ever since Halo's review, DD! Can't wait for my sampler to get here....

Whoa the spicy pumpkin was very upfront and center with this one :o

It had the fig and plum right behind it so it was quite odd to my nose (tart plum/cherry skin and juicy fig + spicy baked pumpkin?)

I want to say its foody but i cant--theres something off about it... like it smells like food but its not mouth wateringly so....well, its not, but i hope you guys get my drift haha!

...oh! i scrolled up and read its description. Its meant to be a mingling of everything "autumn". It sort of does have that bazaar feeling to it. Reminds me of a really nice, quality incense stick..or an awesome-not-generic-candle after it settles. The pumpkin dropped off the radar and now its just a tart (smokey?) fruit with a somewhat familiar scent to it (like something from a well known air freshener company? febreeze?) Dont get me wrong its far from april fresh and spring rain--its just i have a feeling its a very common smell during holidays.

At first I get tangy berry/fruit, sweet pastry/sugar cookie, brown sugar, and a touch of spices. After drydown the berry became dark and the pastry/cookie came out more. It's dark and sweet. There is just enough spice left to help it not to smell plasticky-fake. I like the drydown much better and could see myself wearing this one. At first I thought it was going to be too fruity but I was pleasantly surprised with the depth it took on.

This starts out as a predominantly berry-filled tart, delicious in its own right, yes, but what really makes it is the blending of berries and pumpkin. As it starts drying down the warm, creamy pumpkin swirls with the berries and takes it in a decidedly autumnal direction. Come to think of it the mixing of pumpkin and berry reminds me of another fave of mine, Lusty Licious, except with the nutty pecan and deep resin in the background instead of buttercream. There's a hint of spice, but nothing overwhelming. This is taking its place right up there with Lusty Licious, I say no more.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a sexy, powerful Autumn scent.

I feel the sensual mix of autumnal fruits and air. There is a small dash of earthiness added with a light hand.

Evoking of a very grounded and outgoing temperament.

This scent is all seasonal, organic female power. Goes great with LFM.

I barely detect any fruits in this. It is mouthwatering bakery scent with a touch of earth. Its sweetness makes me think of decaying autumn leaves on the ground, if that makes any sense.

This is my absolute favorite of October NRs. I'm not sure if I'll use it all year round but it is great fall scent.

Oh, wow, this one is intense! I get the fruit, but it feels like rich, preserved fruit--it doesn't smell like mince, but it has that quality, if that makes any sense. My unsophisticated nose is not picking out individual notes, just taking in the whole ensemble. At first, it went a little wonky--almost cough syrup-y--on me, but that faded almost immediately and it's a very deep, rich, sweet scent. Seriously autumnal. I'm trying to think what I would wear this for--it's grown up enough to work in a more elegant setting, I think. It doesn't feel like a work scent, because it's too intense and carries too much of a sense of personal power. But I would totally wear in any situation where I needed to queen it up a bit, like maybe a social situation where I was feeling a little insecure and needed to amp my personal power. Amazing.

I really like this one. At the start I get resins and earth and a very faint hint of spice, and just a touch of fruit. As it dries down, I get lots of creamy pumpkin and berries, with the cherry note being the most distinct. There's still a whisper of spice, but no more resin, no more earth. I'm a bit sad about that earth note - I've become a bit enamoured of it in the last year or so. :) But this is still a big winner. It's pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Egads, this here is so unique!

Like Blackcat, I got this wacky Robutussin Cherry blast when the oil was wet, but luckily it dissipated pretty quickly.

What's so cool about this one, is at first it leads you to believe that its a bakery scent. I get the fruit melange, cherry still the most prominent, but it still reads as a "fall fruit" blend, warm and bubbly, with pie spices and a bit of crust.

But then it turns to something else entirely. My skin amps that earth note and I adore it. The kush too, I guess(doesn't that have something to do with pot? Heh, smells a wee bit like it!) , but its neat how these ingredients are used to take a rather common "bakery scent".and turn it on it's head, into something more atmospheric and special! :) you guys know how Double O could have been just a regular "cake" scent, but then Mara added Patchouli and it became this instant masterpiece? Same here! Who besides Mara would think of adding graveyard dirt to a tart/pie scent? So cool and unexpected!

Halo's visual of eating pie in a graveyard is pretty spot on!

I probably never would have even tried this one cause the notes.seemed too "all over the place", but I got it in a trade with Chi-town (thanks Chi :) ), and I'm very glad I did! Fun stuff!!

ETA: had this on awhile now and the long drydown freakin rocks!!! The fruit is gone and I'm left with this WONDERFUL warm,spiced earth scent. Verrrrrry smoooooth. Very Unisex too! Mmm. The fruit is gone in the sense that you don't recognize it as fruit anymore,it just lends this sweetness. This drydown is my favorite part!

Edited by cheeseburger79

• 1 year later...

Tombstone Tart..I see what you did there, Mara. You clever girl! I'm currently unavailable for further comment. I'm in the cemetery with Great Gran Della, picnicking on fruit crumble with candied pecans. Pour us a cuppa, won't you, lovey?